4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 12:26 AM by Stev_u25a1

Place text object stored in array

Stev_u25a1

Hi,

I want to place reordered texts of one InDesign document into another. I did a very slow version with export and import. But I think it should be possible to do this a lot faster.

My idea is to store the coords and textobjects of text boxes into an array, sort it upon my needs and insert it after that into a new document.

I a first step I managed to insert the sorted content into a new document, but without any formatting information. Is it possible to insert a complete text object into an existing textframe of a new document?

Here's the code for building the object, maybe anyone knows how to place my object:

//Loop through every text frame of the current page and store the properties of each text frame into an associative array

var myPage = myDocumentA.pages.item(0);

var myTextframes = myPage.textFrames;

var mytest = new Array();

var mycoords = new Array();

for(var myCounter = 0; myCounter < myTextframes.length; myCounter++)

{

var mycoordstemp = myTextframes.item(myCounter).geometricBounds + " ";

mycoords = mycoordstemp.split(",");

var mysortcrit = truncate(mycoords[0]) * 10000 + truncate(mycoords[1]);

var mytext = myTextframes.item(myCounter).parentStory.texts.item(0);

mytest[myCounter] = {myTextframe:myTextframes.item(myCounter), xcoord:mysortcrit, myTextframeContent:mytext}

}

var myDocumentB = app.documents.add();

var myPageB = myDocumentB.pages.item(0);

var myTextFrameB = myPageB.textFrames.add({geometricBounds:myGetBounds(myDocumentB, myPageB)});

for(var myCounter = 0; myCounter < mytest.length; myCounter++)

{

alert(mytest[myCounter].myTextframeContent.contents);

// missing: insert the textframecontent into  myTextFrameB

}

• 1. Re: Place text object stored in array
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The 'contents' property of a text frame only contains Unicode characters; it's a regular Javascript string.

To duplicate formatted text, use the duplicate function on the texts property of your original one. You cannot move formatted text into a variable, you have to immediately copy it from its source to its destination.

That said: since you are moving text frames (not "text boxes" ) around, you might as well use duplicate immediately on the original frame itself. This places a copy into your new document on something like a random position, as Paste does, so you need to move it into its correct position.

• 2. Re: Place text object stored in array
            Stev_u25a1 Level 1

Thanks Jongware,

in the meanwhile I got it working almost. There is just a strange behaviour within the duplicate function. Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

My source doc has several pages with several textframes, my target doc just one

I still have the main loop, but inside the resulting array the TextFrame is stored:

myTargetTextFrame.= myTargetDocumet.pages.item(0).textFrames.item(0);

for(myPageCounter=0; myPageCounter < mySourcedoc.pages.length; myPageCounter++)

{

var mytest = new Array();

var myTextframes = mySourcedoc.pages.intem(myPageCounter).textFrames;

for(myCounter=0; myCounter < myTextframes.length; myCounter++)

{

mytest[myCounter] = {myTextframe:myTextframes.item(myCounter), xcoord:mysortcrit}

}

mytest.sort();

for(var myCounter = 0; myCounter < mytest.length ; myCounter++)

{

mytest[myCounter].myTextframe.parentStory.paragraphs.item(0).duplicate(LocationOptions.AT _BEGINNING, myTargetTextFrame.insertionPoints.item(-1));

}

}

The following happens:

Script processes page 1

At the targetdocument all the content of sourcedoc.page1 is inserted in the expected order (content textbox1, content textbox2, content textbox 3)

Script processes page 2

At the targetdocument the content of sourcedoc.page2 is inserted after content textbox2 of page 1.

I expect the content to be placed after content textbox3. What's my mistake?

[EDIT]

I think I found the problem. The content of textbox2 has a frame break at it's end. insertionPoints.item(-1) seems to interpret this as end of text.

Does anybody know how to avoid that problem?

Message was edited by: Stev_u25a1

• 3. Re: Place text object stored in array
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How about using a different location?

.duplicate(LocationOptions.AFTER, myTargetTextFrame.parentStory.insertionPoints[-1]);

Uwe

• 4. Re: Place text object stored in array
                Stev_u25a1 Level 1

Hi,

I did it by sorting the array in a different way.

Many thanks,

Stefan