5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 3:41 AM by Vandor

Saving problems

Vandor

Since I got the CS6 I have had troubles with saving documents in InDesign. If I have opened a document, made the chanches and wants so save it, I can't save it the proper way by pressing commando+S or going to the menu. The only option I get is to "Save as" and I have to overwrite the old file (or give it a new name). It's really frustrating to not be able to save the document the normal way.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem is? I only use the normal letters, so the naming isn't the problem. 

• 1. Re: Saving problems
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is as designed and the way it has always worked. When you open an older version file in a newer version the converted file is considered a new file and you must do a Save As the first time. This is to protect you from accidentally overwriting the old version (and rendering it un-openable in the original version of ID in which it was created). You are free to deliberately overwrite the old file, though I recommend you don't.

Once saved in the new version, Save behavior is just as it always was.

• 2. Re: Saving problems
            Vandor Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking time to answer.

I understand it it that way when you open a document from an old version of Indesign, but my problem is when I open a CS6 document.

I have been working on the same document for more than a week, and every time i open it again I can't save it the normal way. Everytime I want to save it for the first time since I opened it (and somethimes if I haven't saved it for a whil) it chooses "Save As" even if i only want "Save". I have been working with InDesign for ten years but have never had that problem before and I don't know how to solve it now.

• 3. Re: Saving problems
              Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Is the issue with new file or with this file only ? ,

If this is file specific then you can export the file to IDML and then check but if the issue is with all the file then reset the preferences of Indesign (forums.adobe.com/thread/526990)

Hope this help

• 4. Re: Saving problems
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sorry, totally misunderstood.

Sounds like a software conflict to me. Do you have any third party plugins (including font manager)? What's the OS?

• 5. Re: Saving problems
                  Vandor Level 1

Thanks, Peter and Manish-Sharma. I did as you suggested and reset the preferences. Haven't had any problems with it since.