Hardware changes beg a question

Rob2Smith Level 1

I have a HP Pavillion with:

i7 970 3.2G

12GB Ram

120G SSD for main

500G for Media

AMD Radeon HD 6850

Our company was acquired by a larger organization with very strict computer and IT controls. My machine, being an acquired and not an issued machine woulc have to be sent 'cross country to be imaged and sent back to me, which would take a week. ouch.

It is a speed bump big enough to beg the question... should I consider another option? On a personal level, I have a MBP 2011 - i7 - 2.2ghz - 8g ram. I like mac. I am a new convert. I LOVE the portability of the MBP. That being said, I can work on either.

Do you think I should tough it out and work to keep my production windows machine or is there a MBP 2012 model that will give me an experience close to my desktop with Adobe print and video production and also give portability to my workflow?

What do you think?

• 1. Re: Hardware changes beg a question
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and check the ranking

• 2. Re: Hardware changes beg a question
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

MacBook Pro configuration would require the 2.6GHz or higher cpu, 16GB of ram, and external USB 3 or TB drives. That configuration would be atleast $2500 depending how much farther you configured. The performance though would still be less than your current Tower. I would talk to your new IT department reps and ask them what upgrade options they would support with the workstation you have. However if mobility is a key specification the the Macbook Pro would be the way to go if you prefer Mac.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Hardware changes beg a question
              JEShort01 Level 4

Robert,

Your current desktop rig would really fly with 1 to 3 additional 7200 rpm drives and an Nvidia video card that supports Adobe's MPE (mercury playback engine). The 970 cpu is pretty awesome, but you single hard drive + 1 SSD is really not going to move data around quickly enough to keep up.  The suggested MPE video card helps tons too, particularly with HD format workflows regarding the timeline and rendering.

Jim