2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 10:26 AM by BriRonS

Premier Elements project will not close down

BriRonS

I am editing a new project in Premier Elements 9 (standard definition). I have downloaded all my clips successfully and am now trasferring the ones I want to use onto the time line. I have been saving the work periodically, and the auto--save also came on at one point, but when I went to close the project, after doing a final save, I was prompted to save the project again with options to click yes, no or cancel, but when I clicked "yes" the project refused to close down. Several further attempts also failed so I went in to Task manager and got an instruction saying the programme would not close because it was waiting a response from me. I finally closed it down from task manager but when I reopened the project later on, all the work I had done had been lost. I started editing again but then the same thing happened. I've tried running a PC tune up to fix any faults, and have defragnmented the hard drive, but this has not made any difference and the project still refuses to close down when prompted.

I recently completed another project on the same computer and in the same way which worked perfectly, so I cannot understand what could be wrong with this one as I am not doing anything different. My OS is Windows 7, 32 bit. My computer is Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz with 2GB RAM and a Radeon 4650 graphics card. Does anyone know what could be causing the problem?

Brian Saberton

• 1. Re: Premier Elements project will not close down
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

You're using a pretty minimally powered computer to run this program. Which is fine if you're editing miniDV footage. But if you're editing hi-def or any footage besides miniDV, it's likely your hardware is being overwhelmed. Especially if your system only has one hard drive and it has less than 75 gigs of free space on it.

• 2. Re: Premier Elements project will not close down
            BriRonS Level 1

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your reply

I have three hard drives one of which is used only for video projects and has 19.7Gb free capacity. As I mentioned in my post I recently completed another project without difficulty and only work in SD from mini dv on this computer. After submitting the post I thought I might try saving the project under a new name and after doing this the project closed ok, re-opened with all edits intact and then succesfully closed again. It's a bit of a puzzle!

Brian