6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 12:50 PM by SpectrumPCS

CS6 book sync text box auto resizing

SpectrumPCS Level 1

I'm creating a book in cs6 and when I sync the sections my modified text box are resized to the original master pages dimension and run text off the pages. How do I stop this?

• 1. Re: CS6 book sync text box auto resizing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are the pages all based on the same master? Are you also synching the master pages? That may be your problem. It might also be related to using a primary text frame (new feature in CS6) if you did that. I haven't palyed with that feature yet so I'm not really sure how it would affect synching in a book.

In any case, you need to provide a lot more details about what you've done in the document setup, how you modified the frames, and what you are doing during synchronization.

• 2. Re: CS6 book sync text box auto resizing
            SpectrumPCS Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks for replying. I have lots of different master pages set up. The main protagonist is 'text page' master which is set up with 2 facing pages, both with 2 columns and within these columns and added text boxes which have been linked. I'm not familiar with a primary text frame.

The problem is occuring when I sync the book. After it's sync'd and I go into sections where I've reduced the depth of text boxes to incorporate images the text boxes have been resize to there orginal depth but are in the same vertical position. Therefore if i've move a text box to start half way down a column, after I've sync'd the text box still starts half way down the page but now is its original depth and runs off the bottom of the page.

Also, generally, the syncing is forcing back onto the pages any adjustments I've made away from the original master pages. So if I remove a sub heading text box from the begining of a chapter and move the main text boxes up to fill the gap, when I sync again it will have put the sub heading text box back in over the top of the text boxes I've adjusted.

• 3. Re: CS6 book sync text box auto resizing

That sounds to me like you have master poages selected for synching, and maybe that is not a good idea here. Check the synchronization options.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS6 book sync text box auto resizing
                SpectrumPCS Level 1

I close to having to do that but am trying to avoid it as the page designs are still being developed as new chapters are being received. Its almost as if I need to reduce the amount of control the master pages have over the document.

• 5. Re: CS6 book sync text box auto resizing

When you synch them, they get reapplied, and when they get reapplied they put back anything that was overridden.

• 6. Re: CS6 book sync text box auto resizing
                    SpectrumPCS Level 1

What's really strange is the pages that have been automatically inserted to accomodate the original text reflow are ok. It just seems to affact the pages I've added in to end of the document and run the additional text into once images have been included.

It might be a case of me forcing it to had a lot more pages to a section automatically so that I know I have too add any and then deleting any left over once I've done all my laying out.

Plus, I'll have to use text wrap a lot more and avoid playing with the text boxes.