7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 12:24 PM by oldane

Deactivation problem - I think

oldane

I have had Photoshop CS4 running on a computer since 2008. Now that computer has crashed so badly it won't start at all and it's so old it's not worth it to have it fixed. Thus I can't deactive CS4 on that computer. I have downloaded CS4 from the "My orders" page on my account and installed it on the new computer, but it won't accept the serial number and won't activate CS4on the new computer - likely because it hasn't been deactivated on the old computer. I have been on line in a Adobe service chat for more than an hour and been through two departments, but they ended up saying they didn't support that old program versions and linked me to this forum. Though I explained the problem five times, entered my personal details three times and the serial number for CS4 four times, I never felt sure they understood what the problem was. Can anybody here help?

• 1. Re: Deactivation problem - I think
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I think it emits pretty specific messages about the number of activations exceeded if it fails to activate for that reason, so I'm guessing that's not the issue.  Adobe absolutely has to support the ongoing activation of older versions you've purchased.  They have called it a "perpetual license" after all.

Can you be more specific?  Exactly what are you seeing happen?  Screen grabs would be best.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Deactivation problem - I think
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Escalate the case to a next level operator and make sure you are actualyl calling activation support, not tech support or sales. It really needs to be handled by Adobe and that not supporting old versions is simply BS. Activation support has always been free and covered all versions, no matter how legacy they were.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Deactivation problem - I think
              Curt Y Level 7

You probably have to be very specific and short in explaination.  They probably got lost in the problem specifics.

Just say your computer hard drive failed, bought new computer and need now reactivation code for CS4.

• 4. Re: Deactivation problem - I think
                oldane Level 1

It was not exactly the harddisk which was the problem, but the effect was the same. I couldn't start the old computer and thus couldn't deactivate. And those software activation-/registration codes are computer specific - doesn't work when the harddisk is removed and connected to another computer.

Does anyone from Adobe read this and help me?

• 5. Re: Deactivation problem - I think
                  oldane Level 1

Whatever, they closed the case on the basis "no support for old software versions" - after having spent an hour chatting with me about it - and referred my to this forum. I agree that is seems to be BS, and it's annoys me quite a bit. My probem is that I don't know where and how to get in touch with the next level operator. I live in Europe, so it's too expensive sitting for a long time on the phone, waiting to get in touch with someone who may or may not understand what it's about.

• 6. Re: Deactivation problem - I think
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

You need to get a copy of Skype.  It's not particularly expensive to talk to anyone anywhere with that.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Deactivation problem - I think
                      oldane Level 1

Problem solved. My CS4 was an upgrade from CS3 and it occurred to me that that I might have to install that on the new computer before installing CS4. That did the trick - complying with what they said at Adobe that I had one "activation slot" left. Now why didn't they come upon that when we chatted - they had all my data.

Anyway, thanks to you who tried to help me.