6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2008 6:40 PM by clockwerker

clock animation help

clockwerker
      Hello, i need to do a special clock animation. Can you let me know if my following method sounds right, or if i should be using a different program or technique?

i'm using an image of an old clock (bitmap), it will have an hour hand and a minute hand. the minute hand will change 59 times, and the hour hand will change 11 times. that's 649 frames before the image starts over!

If I separate the hour hand and the minute hand into separate layers, i will only have to make 70 separate images. So I was going to make 59 frames with the minute hand layer changing and the hour hand layer staying the same. Then i was going to copy and paste all 59 minute frames, but change the hour hand layer to the next hour. I was going to repeat this process till I got to 11:59.

can animated gifs even do 649 frames? will this be pretty straightforward in fireworks? or should i be using flash? flash with bitmaps didn't seem right to me. i'd rather do an animated gif since every browser will show it (like iphones)... and cs3 has that flash-like capability now.

thanks for any advice you might have! forgive me if i'm a fool!
        • 1. Re: clock animation help
          Level 7
          May I ask what are you going to use this for? Is the clock suppose to be
          accurate?

alex

clockwerker wrote:
          > Hello, i need to do a special clock animation. Can you let me know if my
          > following method sounds right, or if i should be using a different program or
          > technique?
          >
          > i'm using an image of an old clock (bitmap), it will have an hour hand and a
          > minute hand. the minute hand will change 59 times, and the hour hand will
          > change 11 times. that's 649 frames before the image starts over!
          >
          > If I separate the hour hand and the minute hand into separate layers, i will
          > only have to make 70 separate images. So I was going to make 59 frames with the
          > minute hand layer changing and the hour hand layer staying the same. Then i was
          > going to copy and paste all 59 minute frames, but change the hour hand layer to
          > the next hour. I was going to repeat this process till I got to 11:59.
          >
          > can animated gifs even do 649 frames? will this be pretty straightforward in
          > fireworks? or should i be using flash? flash with bitmaps didn't seem right to
          > me. i'd rather do an animated gif since every browser will show it (like
          > iphones)... and cs3 has that flash-like capability now.
          >
          > thanks for any advice you might have! forgive me if i'm a fool!
          >
          • 2. Re: clock animation help
            clockwerker Level 1
            hi alex, no, it doesn't need to reflect real time, I just wanted it to run, i was going to give each frame 100/100 seconds so that it would tick naturally, but just start at noon. so it won't run for 24 hours, it will just run for almost 60 minutes before restarting. thanks.
            • 3. Re: clock animation help
              Level 7
              70 separate images,649 frames... is going to end up as a pretty/very big
              image. Those numbers alone would make me think that Flash is a far better
              option.

Peter
              run, i
              | was going to give each frame 100/100 seconds so that it would tick
              naturally,
              | but just start at noon. so it won't run for 24 hours, it will just run for
              | almost 60 minutes before restarting. thanks.
              |

• 4. Re: clock animation help
                Level 7

"clockwerker" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:fplnrk$b35$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hello, i need to do a special clock animation. Can you let me know if my
                > following method sounds right, or if i should be using a different program
                > or
                > technique?
                >
                > i'm using an image of an old clock (bitmap), it will have an hour hand and
                > a
                > minute hand. the minute hand will change 59 times, and the hour hand will
                > change 11 times. that's 649 frames before the image starts over!
                >
                > If I separate the hour hand and the minute hand into separate layers, i
                > will
                > only have to make 70 separate images. So I was going to make 59 frames
                > with the
                > minute hand layer changing and the hour hand layer staying the same. Then
                > i was
                > going to copy and paste all 59 minute frames, but change the hour hand
                > layer to
                > the next hour. I was going to repeat this process till I got to 11:59.

What about this:

Have a static gif, bmp, or jpeg in one layer. Have a transparent gif on top
                of that which shows the hour hand (or you could combine this with the
                background). Layer a gif on top of that which shows the minute hand.

I'm not sure what software you're planning to run this in, but in HTML you
                could probably use absolute positioning to achieve this.

HTH;

Amy

• 5. Re: clock animation help
                  Level 7
                  Another kludgy factor about animated gifs is that different browsers
                  will render the same animated gif at different speeds.
                  So I agree, Flash is a more appropiate solution.

PJR wrote:
                  > 70 separate images,649 frames... is going to end up as a pretty/very big
                  > image. Those numbers alone would make me think that Flash is a far better
                  > option.
                  >
                  > Peter
                  > _____________________
                  > "clockwerker" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:fpn45d$sk5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > | hi alex, no, it doesn't need to reflect real time, I just wanted it to
                  > run, i
                  > | was going to give each frame 100/100 seconds so that it would tick
                  > naturally,
                  > | but just start at noon. so it won't run for 24 hours, it will just run for
                  > | almost 60 minutes before restarting. thanks.
                  > |
                  >
                  >
                  • 6. Re: clock animation help
                    clockwerker Level 1
                    thanks everybody! i'm going to see about flash, too (no offense, fireworks!). it might be nice to do mouseover effects for the hour and minute hands in flash instead of the ticking clock of an animated gif.

oh and amy that's a good idea! that will keep the file size down. at first i was thinking "duh," heh heh. but then i actually read your post, and i realized i can have 3 separate images on the page.

i can use the absolute positioning with CSS, and the Z-order of the images doesn't matter, since the they are all transparent and they don't overlap. the minute hand file will still be large, but it will only be 59 frames, not 700 frames. man i was being an idiot before. this way is much better.

if there's any wait for the minute hand image, the hour hand and the background will load really fast in the meanwhile.

thanks again alex, pjr and amy...