2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 3:38 AM by Eugene Tyson

Footnotes numbered consecutively across all files in a book

D Stark

Using CS6, I've created a book with 24 chapters. In each chapter, the footnote numbering start with  1.

The author believes the footnotes should be numbered consecutively across all files in a book.

I don't see any option for InDesign to handle that unless I combine all the chapters into a single file. Am I right?

Any resources anyone can suggest which would give us a definitive answer on how footnotes should be numbered?

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: Footnotes numbered consecutively across all files in a book
          Michael Gianino Level 4

I have only done a few jobs that used footnotes. One of them was my undergrad thesis, which I did as one document, so all of the footnotes were numbered consecutively. If I had to make an uninformed bet, I'd guess that chapters shouldn't restart at 1, but that's only a guess. Also consider that there are several sets of rules that people can use (Chicago Manual of Style, APA, MLA, Turabian), so the "correct" answer might be conditional.

D Stark wrote:

I don't see any option for InDesign to handle that unless I combine all the chapters into a single file. Am I right?

There is the option to (for example) restart the numbering of chapter 2 with footnote number 8, if the last footnote of chapter 1 was 7. That will require you to always check each document of the book before you output it to be sure your restarts have the correct number, in case you added a footnote to a chapter that will cause the next chapter to need a new start number. You can restart footnote numbers in Type>Document Footnote Options>Numbering and Formatting.

There may be a plug-in that offers better footnote options, but I don't think InDesign's native footnote feature will allow footnote numbering to span book chapters, but I'm using  CS5, so maybe newer versions can do a better job.

I recommend you check back here to see if anyone has given a more definitive answer before you take my word for it.

• 2. Re: Footnotes numbered consecutively across all files in a book
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes footnotes need drastic improving.

You'll need to go to the Documnet Footnote options in Each Chapter and insert a start number for each one.