19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 12:54 PM by HoosierRoots

X79 Motherboard for drives

HoosierRoots

First let me think the many knowledgable folks who answer questions here. I have been reading for weeks. I am buying for a new build which I will use for LR, Photoshop, and Premier Pro,  (plus ProShow Producer.) I am an enthusiast who does projects for myself, family, and friends. I am looking to balance cost with performance. I usually keep a system for 4-5 years. (My current one  is 8 years old - we had kids to send through college.)

I only keep my current project(s) on the desktop. After I am done I move data to my NAS which has an automated backup to an external drive which I switch to offsite on a weekly basis.

I have purchased 4 drives with the following intentions:

256 GB SSD - Plextor M3 SATA III (OS, Programs, Pagefile)

2 x 1 TB - WD Black SATA 6.0Gb/s for RAID 0 (Media, Projects)

128 GB SSD - Plextor M3 SATA III (Export, Previews, Media Cache)

I plan on using an i7-3930K. I am leaning towards the ASUS P9X79 Pro, but before I push the buy button I want to make sure I am selecting a mobo with the right controllers to support the dives. While I have built systems, I have never built one with SSD or RAID.

So my two questions - for a ~$2500 build,

1) Would you modify / augment the drives in any way?

2) Is the ASUS Pro a good fit? Or is there a better choice?

Thank you so much.

Debbie

• 1. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
          JEShort01 Level 4

1) Yes, I would change drives:

- 128GB SSD (OS, programs)

- 2x1TB RAID0 WD blacks (media , projects, cache)

- use budget from 256GB SSD to fund additional 2x1TB RAID 0 array (exports, media cache, media cache db, pagefile)

2) I think highly of Asus's boards for the i7-3930k series cpus, but I am not familiar enough with how it's SATA ports are configured to comment

Jim

• 2. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
            HoosierRoots Level 1

Jim - Thank you for the input. The ASUS P9X79 Pro -

2 x SATA 6 Gbps via a Marvell 9128 controller,

4 x SATA 3 Gbps from the PCH

2 x SATA 6 Gbps from the PCH ( sed in ASUS’ SSD Caching)

• 3. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
              JEShort01 Level 4

Debbie,

Sounds great assuming the SSD can connect to the Marvell 6Gbps and the other 6 ports support RAID 0 arrays.

Jim

• 4. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                Alan Craven Level 4

That is the same array of ports as the X79 Gigabyte board that I am using.

I have an SSD as system drive on PCH port 0, and a 500 GB drive on Port 1 for all data files and Premiere projects.

A pair of 1 TB drives as RAID 0 on PCH ports 3 and 4 for media files

A Blu-ray drive on PCH port 5

I have a second 1TB pair RAID 0 on the first 2 Marvell ports, for previews and recent trimmed projects.

On the second pair, I have A 2TB drive for Premiere Exports and backup, plus a connection to a eSATA on the front of the case,

• 5. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                  HoosierRoots Level 1

Jim and Alan -

Thanks for the comments. All the ports support Raid 0 /1/ 5 /10.

I am planning on connecting a Blu-ray writer as well. With only 4 SATA 6 Gb/s ports, it appears I will have to use a 3 Gb/s for the Blu-ray, which seems unforunate. Any mobo recommendations that have more 6 Gb/s ports?

Debbie

• 6. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Debbie,That Blu-ray player is perfect use of a 3 Gb/s port as it will not be a 6 Gb/s device.or ever use the high speed capabilities.

• 7. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                      DeePeeBee Level 1

Debbie, Don't forget to check to make sure the MB you choose has all of the other inputs you will need, for example, I chose the WS over the Pro specifically because it has a firewire port which I need for my backlog of old videos still on tape. The downside is that the WS is a tad larger than the standard ATX. I was building another server for my son with a standard ATX card so I tried my WS board and it just would not fit. Now I have a significantly larger case than I would have chosen (A Silverstone Fortress) but I must say the larger box made the build a lot easier and I have room for 5 internal std HD's and 3 SSD's, so I'm quite happy it ended up that way.  I did not have a spare port for my blu-ray burner, so I have it in an external enclosure and I swap it in on the relatively few occasions I need it.

If you're going to use the Intel raid, be sure to install the Intel raid drivers when the Windows 7 install asks "Do you have drivers to install?"  If you forget, you will be reinstalling your OS - a real pain.  I hope that Windows 8 eliminates this, because I've forgotten twice.

If you're planning to overclock, the ASUS new UEFI replacement for BIOS is very easy to navigate and there's a Youtube video walking you thru the overclock.

You should have a great machine and be able to stay under budget - depending on your choice of GPU. If you stay at the 5xx NVIDIA level you should be ok.

Good luck,

Dorothy

• 8. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                        RjL190365 Level 4

Debbie,

You are correct that all of the Intel ports support RAID 0/1/5/10. However, the Marvell 9128 controller that's on the P9X79 PRO supports only RAID 0 or RAID 1 (after all, you can't have RAID 5 or RAID 10 with only two ports or across ports controlled by two entirely different controllers).

• 9. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                          HoosierRoots Level 1

I thought I was set on my drives, but I just got notified that my second SSD that I was planning on using for Exports has been canceled. (I ordered it as I snagged a great one day price - but apparently they overcommitted. So I am coming back to all of you for help. To summarize, aiming at a $2000 - $2500 build for LR, Photoshop, and Premier Pro, (plus ProShow Producer.)

Intel 3930k cpu

Asus P9X79 Pro mobo with

2 x SATA 6 Gbps from the PCH    

4 x SATA 3 Gbps from the PCH

2 x SATA 6 Gbps via a Marvell 9128 controller,

I have on order

256 GB SSD - Plextor M3 SATA III (OS, Programs, Pagefile) (will put on one of the PCH SATA 6)

2 x 1 TB - WD Black SATA 6.0Gb/s for RAID 0 (Media, Projects) (use the Marvell controller)

Plextor Blu Ray Burner (SATA 3)

I am looking for suggestions on what I should order to hold the Exports, Previews, and Media Cache. Should I try to stay with an SSD, put a single drive on the last SATA 6, or a Raid 0 on a pair of the SATA 3 ports?

(I only keep my current projects on the desktop; completed projects are moved to my NAS. My backup strategy is sound as well.)

Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Same suggestion, different day:

- 2x1TB RAID0 WD blacks (media , projects, cache)

- use budget from 256GB SSD to fund additional 2x1TB RAID 0 array (exports, media cache, media cache db, pagefile)

Regards,

Jim

• 11. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                              HoosierRoots Level 1

Jim,

Thank you for your input. I allready have the 256 GB SSD.  I am wondering if I am better off putting a single drive on the SATA 6 Gbps or a two drive Raid 0 on the SATA 3 Gbps for my exports. I think you are saying the Raid 0 on the SATA 3 is faster. Am I right?

• 12. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                JEShort01 Level 4

Debbie,

What I've been suggesting all along is:

- 256GB SSD boot - awesome, rock-n-roll

- first 2x1TB RAID 0 Array (projects, media, cache files)

- second 2x1TB RAID 0 Array -- total 4 1TB drives for PC (exports, media cache, media cache db, Win7 pagefile)

Regarding ports I'd suggest the SSD on a 6GB, all four 1TB drives on same 3GB ports, blu-ray, other wherever.

Jim

• 13. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                  RjL190365 Level 4

Regarding ports I'd suggest the SSD on a 6GB, all four 1TB drives on same 3GB ports, blu-ray, other wherever.

Actually, if all four of the 1TB drives are connected to the Intel SATA 3.0 Gbps ports, then the only place to put the Blu-ray drive would be an Intel-controlled SATA 6.0 Gbps port. This is because the Marvell SATA 6.0 Gbps ports do not support ATAPI devices such as optical drives; they are for hard disks only.

• 14. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                    El_Plates Level 1

I'm curious what model/spec'd RAM kit will be used in this X79 build, and what RAM kits suit X79 in general.

• 15. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                      Alan Craven Level 4

With a recent BIOS, use the manufacturer's QVL for guidance.

• 16. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                        HoosierRoots Level 1

Based on input from this forum, I plan on using 32GB (8 x 4 GB) of Samsung chips with the follwing specs:

• DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 
                                        • Timing 11-11-11-28 
                                        • Cas Latency 11 
                                        • Voltage 1.35V
                                        • 17. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                          HoosierRoots Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I have been assuming I will attache the boot SSD to the Intel SATA 6GB port. I am wondering though why this is the norm. I only reboot my workstation every few days and start a few programs a day.On the flip side, if I have a several hour editing session I am reading my source / media files during that session. SO - do I really want my boot drive to be on a faster port than my media? (Just curious.)

• 18. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                            JEShort01 Level 4

Debbie,

The 3GB ports have enough speed to keep up with the fastest rotating drives made today. The fastest 256GB SSDs however can be faster. So, putting the SSD on the 6GB is to try and get the most possible from all your devices.

Jim

• 19. Re: X79 Motherboard for drives
                                              HoosierRoots Level 1

Thanks for your help. I have finished ordering parts - here is what I will have -

Case:         Corsair Obsidian 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower

CPU:          Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz

MOBO:       ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Memory:     32 GB Samsung  (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (1.35V Cas 11 11-11-11-28)

Video:        Galaxy GTX 670 GC 4GB 256b GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16

SSD:          Plextor M3 2.5" 256GB SATA III (boot)

OCZ Vertex 4 2.5” 128G SATA III (Export)

HD:            2 x WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s RAID 0 (Media)

PSU:          SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W

Cooler:       COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

Burner       Plextor  8MB Cache SATA 12X Blu-ray Writer PX-LB950SA

Completed projects on NAS; backups offsite.