12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2012 10:27 AM by nealeh

Separate Clips

Kurt Graessle

Hello

I'm using Elements 10 unter Windows 7 64.

I'm capturing videos from miniDV Tapes to Elements 10. That works fine.

For each tape I get one clip, since I do not use scene detection.

In most cases there are different stories on a tape.

So I use Ctrl+K to seperate this different parts. In the sceneline I get it. Sometimes such a part is just trash which I delete.

What I would like to do is to save (export, or what ever) each of this Subclip as a standalone Clip with a new name, loosing by this way the connection to the originally captured clip.

How can I do this?

I thank you in advance for helping.

Kilroy

• 1. Re: Separate Clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The only way to do that with Premiere Elements is to place all of the clips on your timeline and place the Work Area Bar over each and select Share/Computer/AVI with the Share Work Area Bar Only option -- and do that for each clip.

On the other hand, you could have just set your capture up to Break Scenes by Timecode and the program would have automatically broken your video into segments as you captured. Is that something you chose not to do?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Separate Clips
            Kurt Graessle Level 1

I tried the first variation, which refers to pages 105ff. of the manual (if I see it right). I had trouble to set the work space bar in the right place. I have to repeat it. At one time the red line, which indicates the non rendered part, couldn't be removed.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about the second option (automatically cliping by Breaking Scenes by Timecode).. At the moment I'm capturing with the option "to timeline", but I don't think thats what you are referring to.

Kurt

• 3. Re: Separate Clips
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry. I don't know the manual at all. But I've written my own book if you're looking for all of these answers with step-by-step instructions.

http://muvipix.com/pe10.php

Otherwise, I don't know why using the Work Area Bar wouldn't work -- if you've zoomed into the timeline enough to be precise in your placement. (Also note that you can only render areas of the timeline that are covered by the Work Area Bar.)

Breaking scenes by timecode is an important setting right in the capture window. I'm kind of surprised the "manual" doesn't reference it!

Did I mention that I wrote a book that DOES tell you how to do this?

• 4. Re: Separate Clips
                nealeh Level 5

For splitting large AVI's into separate scene clips I use the completely free, lossless, SolveigMM AVI Trimmer. Give it a try.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Separate Clips
                  Kurt Graessle Level 1

Steve

Thank you for your help. I succeeded more or less by following your advice. I attach a copy of the Adobe manual. I did it the way it is described there. I found no step, where I could locate the output or fix any option.

The result went into the default folder „Adobe premiere elements preview files“, but without sound! That’s not what I wanted.

Since I set the start and end points only in the video timeline, I thought it would help if i set them in the audio timeline, too. But that didn’t help.

So I will have to wait till I get your book which I ordered today. The delivery time for good old Europe (Switzerland) is 3 to 4 weeks. Sometimes it goes faster.

I will put this info into the thread in the forum, too.

Greetings

Kurt

Von: Steve Grisetti forums@adobe.com

Gesendet: Freitag, 24. August 2012 18:38

An: Kilroy77

Betreff: Separate Clips

Re: Separate Clips

created by Steve Grisetti <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Grisetti>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4645748#4645748

• 6. Re: Separate Clips
                    Kurt Graessle Level 1

I forgot the manual pdf. Here it is.

Kurt

Von: Steve Grisetti forums@adobe.com

Gesendet: Freitag, 24. August 2012 18:38

An: Kilroy77

Betreff: Separate Clips

Re: Separate Clips

created by Steve Grisetti <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Grisetti>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4645748#4645748

• 7. Re: Separate Clips
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

The Preview files are ONLY for smoothest playback, after one has Rendered the Timeline. They are ONLY for the Video portion, and are not muxed, i.e. combined Audio & Video Streams into one discrete file. This article goes into more detail on Rendering the Timeline for smoothest playback: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/794719?tstart=30

With the Share option, one CAN export a single muxed file, and can limit the Duration with the WAB (Work Area Bar), if one chooses both Export Audio & Export Video and set the Multiplexer setting to DVD, or anything but "None," which will create two discrete files, one with the Video Stream and one with the Audio Stream. This article goes into more detail on the WAB: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869683?tstart=30

If I need separate, individual files, I use the WAB to limit the area to be exported, and then choose a format, that suits my purposes. For an SD (Standard Definition) Project, I just use DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. For an HD (High Definition) Project, I will choose one of the lossless CODEC's, and place that in an MS AVI "wrapper." This article goes into more detail on intermediate, lossless files: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Separate Clips
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

Unfortunately, the Adobe Forums no longer allow one to attach files to a post. Only a MOD can do that now. It was once possible to do so, but too many abused that function, so it was removed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Separate Clips
                          Kurt Graessle Level 1

nealeh

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the solveighMM AVI Trimmer and was not to happy with it, because the help is almost unreadable.

Anyway I would like to handle the problem with the functions available in PE.

See the post from Hunt.

Thank you and greetings

Kurt

• 10. Re: Separate Clips
                            Kurt Graessle Level 1

Bill

Thank you for your post, which was helpfull for me because I learned a lot about PE.

I hesitate to use the way with the special codecs because of time and storage consumption. So I didn't try it yet.

I'm happy with PE because I can capture my videos without troubles with it. My source is an old dual mode (AV + DV) JVC HR-DVS1 and works with Firewire.

One of the PE features makes me troubles:The fact, that the video remains what you captured, whatever you trim or cut.

Since  I have unrelated stuff on my miniDV in many cases I have a strong need to seperate them.

Now, what speaks against using a program like Boilsoft Video Splitter. I'm making some tests at the moment. It reads the videofiles I captured and can split them without rendering. It is fast and more or less easy to handle.

What is your opinion about that?

Greetings

Kurt

• 11. Re: Separate Clips
                              nealeh Level 5

Kurt Graessle wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the solveighMM AVI Trimmer and was not to happy with it, because the help is almost unreadable.

I know exactly what you mean . From their 'about' page "Our company is located in the heart of the Siberian science region, in the city of Tomsk." so I'm guessing they are light on fluent English speakers. I persevered and use it a lot.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Separate Clips
                                nealeh Level 5

Kurt Graessle wrote:

I have unrelated stuff on my miniDV in many cases I have a strong need to seperate them.

Now, what speaks against using a program like Boilsoft Video Splitter. I'm making some tests at the moment. It reads the videofiles I captured and can split them without rendering. It is fast and more or less easy to handle.

What is your opinion about that?

If it does what you want then go for it. To me it looks expensive for what it does (when compared to the price of PRE itself).

There is another free splitter I have "Easy Video Splitter". It's elderly and was once commercial but is now free. Its help file is more intelligible than Solveig. Give it a try.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale