3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 10:41 AM by ECBowen

Can I get my preview files back?

MrLoofer

Just moved all my source footage to a new hard disk but kept all the project, auto save and previews on the original disk. I had manually changed the path to the new footage by editing the project file in a text editor and replacing all instances with the new path. Yet when I now open the project everything is fine except no previews. Does Premiere tie the previews to the complete physical path of the source footage or something? Will take forever to re-render everything.

Cheers.

• 1. Re: Can I get my preview files back?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Premiere Ties the Preview files to the last location saved for Preview files. If those are missing then it should prompt you to point to where they are located when you open the project again.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Can I get my preview files back?
            MrLoofer Level 1

Thanks. They're not missing, they are all in the preview folder under the name of the project which I left on the original hard drive. The only thing I moved was all of my footage to a different drive. If I look in the preview folder I see all the files yet when I open the project a long red line instead of green.

I wonder if this is due to my source files being RED R3D files? I did notice that after I changed the drive path to point to the new drive when I opened the project in the bottom right corner a status bar was updating with "Conforming xxxx footage" or something of that nature. I wonder if for RED it stores additional information regarding these files that are then uniquely identified by the preview file or something... food for thought.

• 3. Re: Can I get my preview files back?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Then the project file lost identity of where the preview files are located since they likely point to a path for the media files the previews represent that is different than they currently reside. Only Adobe engineer's are going to know how much the manifest tracks that info in the project files. I would re-render the timeline or atleast a section of it and then save and exit. Re-open the project and see if that section remains rendered.

Eric

ADK