7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2012 11:54 AM by b2martin_a

V4 Profiles

Yammer Level 4

I've seen quite a lot of mention of V4 profiles recently. I'm not really sure what they are, but I know they are better quality / more refined than older profiles.

I personally use a profile I made myself using the DNG Profile editor and a ColorChecker card a year or two ago, I don't think thse are v4 profiles. In fact I have no idea what version they are.

My question is: if I want some V4 action, but with a custom-built profile using my own camera and a ColorChecker, what do I need to do? Or, am I just fine with what I've got?

• 1. Re: V4 Profiles
          b2martin_a Level 2

Several versions of Camera Matching profiles exists for the D3, D300, D300S, and D700.  I don't know about the D3, D300, and D300S, but the D700 has 4 versions of Camera Matching Profiles - Original, v2, v3, and v4 profiles.  The original profiles do not have a version number, but the others have the same name with the vx added where the x is the version number - Camera Standard v4 for the version 4 profile of the Camera Standard profile - they all exists in ACR and Lightroom.  Version 4 profiles for these cameras have better matching to the Nikon equivalent profiles and solve some other issues with the other versions of the profiles.  Version 4 profiles for these cameras have additional parameters and you can't edit the v4 profiles with the existing DNG Profile Editor - you can edit the original, v2, and v3 profiles with the DNG Profile Editor.  Adobe is working on an upgrade of the DNG specification and updates for other software associated with the DNG specification, including the DNG Profile Editor.  Don't know if any other camera profiles use any of the parameters that are in the v4 profiles. 

• 2. Re: V4 Profiles
            Vit Novak Level 3

Yes, some new camera profiles are also v4, although without "v4" in the profile name, for instance Nikon V1/J1, Canon S100 etc

• 3. Re: V4 Profiles
              b2martin_a Level 2

The v4 profiles are just the 4th version of Camera matching profiles for specific cameras, but they do have additional parameters in the profile that pervent them from working with the currently available DNG Profile Editor.  The v3 profiles for these cameras had better matching than previous profiles, but they required an expsoure correction of -0.5 to match the Nikon images.  The -0.5 exposure correction was solved with the v4 profiles, and I believe this required adding parameters to the profile that did not exists in previous profiles for these cameras.  The profile name does not identify which version of profile generation software was used to generate the profile - I don't know how you identify this other than see if you can edit it with the currently available DNG Profile Editor.   

• 4. Re: V4 Profiles
                Vit Novak Level 3

By checking are there "additional parameters" in the profile 

• 5. Re: V4 Profiles
                  Yammer Level 4

I think that's clearer now. V4 doesn't refer to a specific process, like PV2010, but just the 4th stab at a canned profile using more refined methods. I wonder if we're ever going to get our hands on the tools which made the latest profiles.

I still use my homemade profile which gives me much better colour and tonal results than the canned versions. I'm happy enough with it, but there's always room for improvement. ;)

• 6. Re: V4 Profiles
                    Vit Novak Level 3

v4 profiles were accepted and used correctly from ACR 6.6 onwards, that didn't support PV2012 yet (although I suppose most of the PV2012 code was already there).

I think it's very unlikely that Adobe will ever publish the code for making camera profiles.

• 7. Re: V4 Profiles
                      b2martin_a Level 2

I don't think Adobe will either, but I would like to have an updated DNG Profile Editor that would allow editing any profiles that Adobe makes available for cameras.