5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 5:59 AM by Peter Spier

open documents is so slow

Rollerblader-1959

Hi,

I use InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.8.1. The app is installed on SSD. The start-up is very fast, but when I want open a document... I see the beachball for 2 seconds before the document (134 kb) was loaded. The document is located on a seperate HD, bu even when I place the document on the SSD... it's the same slow speed during the opening.

Help please... thanks.

• 1. Re: open documents is so slow
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

2 seconds doesn't seem like a terribly long time to me, especially if there are links to be checked.

• 2. Re: open documents is so slow
            graphicsguy

We are having similar problems with Indesign CS 6 file open times (though much longer than 2 seconds). I tested with no InDesign plugins using the file locally and CS5 opened my test file in 12 seconds. CS6 opened the same file in 58 seconds. On opening our files we have been getting first a blank looking file, then the text slowly comes in, but we still can't do anything for another 15-20 seconds. Very frustrating to us. We've tried turning off the preflight, and that may have helped a little, but not much. It would also be frustrating to have to keep that off since we didn't need to do that in CS5. Most of us are running this on iMacs with 4 cores (2.93 GHz) and 8 GB of RAM under Mac OS 10.8.2.

I mirror your call for help.

• 3. Re: open documents is so slow

I fyou are opeing a legacy file in CS6 there may be an additional delay as ID has to convert the file to the new format. You should save the file as a copy with a new name in CS6, then reboot the machine, and open the CS5 version in CS5 and the CS6 version in CS6 to comapre apples to apples.

• 4. Re: open documents is so slow
                theGraphicsGuy

Sorry for the late response. Our situation has not improved. I just tested a file located on our server with a brand new iMac that has one of those cool new drives and our other previous model iMacs. The new iMac opened the file instantly. Our other iMacs took from 30 seconds to 1 minute to be able to move from page to page without the beach ball spinning. The very odd thing is that when we first bought the new iMac, it also had the same lag problems. Several weeks ago the lag mysteriously went away. Nothing was done to that machine beyond normal system and program updates and we're not sure if the change is due to any specific update. We have also noticed that there isn't any lag when using a MacBook Pro or older Mac Pro intel machines. Is there a problem with screen redraw and the previous iMac video processor or something? The files we are using now are no longer legacy files, so they are not converting on open.

• 5. Re: open documents is so slow

Could be the network card in the new machine is faster.