6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2012 12:29 PM by the_wine_snob

Exception Error 0x80040707

skyscooter56l

Is there a fix for Unhandled Exception error Ox80040707 DLL function call crashed?

• 1. Re: Exception Error 0x80040707
          Level 7

You didn't provide much information, but that sounds like a DLL is crashing on some version of Windows.

Does the crash indicate the name of the fauling module?

And what changed on your system since it last worked (drivers, third party plugins, etc.)?

• 2. Re: Exception Error 0x80040707
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, if on a PC, what do you get in Event Viewer, at the time of that fault? Are there any warning or error messages? Do any of them have links in them? If so, follow those links, and please report on what comes up with them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Exception Error 0x80040707
              skyscooter56l Level 1

Hello, Chris. I reformatted my hard drive and am reloading programs with

XP operating system with AVG. All programs have reloaded well so far. I

purchased Photoshop CS while taking a PS course in college. Adobe no

longer supports PS CS8 educational. So that's a dead end for support.

The program goes through installation process and at the end, gives the

error message: "Unhandled Exception error number 0x80040707 DLL function

call crashed ALInstaller.InitAlmInstall". That is the extent of

information I have.

Since reformatting the HD, I have added an HP Photosmart printer and

installed efax and eprint (cloud apps), but no new software or plugins.

I use Firefox, Thunderbird, and MagicJack for communications and the

standard Adobe Reader, Media Player, Corel.

I have scoured the knowledge base and googled the error number. It is

listed, but for a different product. The PS Web site is large on

upgrades and new products, but the path to tech. spt. is narrow and

obscure. I tried creating a customer service portal case and the system

returned an error message that it had experienced a problem and could

not accept my case at that time.

I paid $313. for this product and it more than meets my needs; so, I am

not inclined to fix this problem by buying the latest version.

Whatever assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Linda

• 4. Re: Exception Error 0x80040707
                skyscooter56l Level 1

Hi, Bill. Thank you for responding. I am unfamiliar with Event Viewer. I

reformatted my hard drive and am reloading programs with XP operating

system with AVG. All programs have reloaded well so far. I purchased

Photoshop CS while taking a PS course in college. Adobe no longer

supports PS CS8. The program goes through installation process, then

gives the error message: "Unhandled Exception error number 0x80040707

DLL function call crashed ALInstaller.InitAlmInstall". That's all. No

warnings, other error messages, or links. There is little to go on from

the user's side. It takes knowledge of the programming. Thank you, Linda

• 5. Re: Exception Error 0x80040707
                  Level 7

Ok, you're using Photoshop CS, aka Photoshop 8.

That should still install on XP (but probably wouldn't on Win 7 or 8).

ALMinstall is part of our old installer codebase.  But unless you had a corrupted CD or some pirated malware version, I don't know why it would be failing like that.

• 6. Re: Exception Error 0x80040707
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

One thing that rather jumps to my attention is the mention of AVG. That is the anti-virus program, right?

When installing most programs, I always recommend turning OFF all anti-virus, anti-malware, really all anti-anything. Is AVG running, while you are attempting to install?

This article gives some general tips for installing many Adobe programs: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569663?tstart=0

As for the Event Viewer, it is a little application that installs with Windows (differs slightly, depending on the version), and it logs all "events" on the computer. Most are just applications, or processes, that are launched, when needed, but will most likely include error, or warning messages. Many are just code snippets, that no one fully understands, but some contain links, and a few of those can be very useful for troubleshooting, if followed. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446365?tstart=120

For XP, Even Viewer can be found here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.exe

Good luck,

Hunt