14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 8:51 AM by zachmull

XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6

zachmull

My company works with XDCAM HD and Red footage in Premiere, and we recently upgraded two of our three workstations to CS6. We love the upgrade, but we've experienced 10x slower output from Adobe Media encoder with the XDCAM HD footage compared to Premiere CS5.5. We don't experience any slowdown in output time for Red 5K footage, but the XDCAM slowdown is killing us. We rolled back one of the workstations to CS5.5 and immediately saw the output time drop to 1.1x or 1.2x sequence time. In CS6 using the same sequence settings in Premiere and the same output settings in Media Encoder, we get more like 11x sequence time speed for output. We see the same slowdown in CS6 for rendering the work area for an XDCAM HD sequence in Premiere

We aren't getting any error messages or crashes, and there are no artifacts in the video during real time playback or in the .mp4s we're outputting. We had the same problem on the two workstations, and rolling the one workstation back to CS5.5 fixed the problem immediately. And again, our Red workflow is just as fast as it was in CS5.5.

We'd strongly prefer to work in CS6, but we will fall behind our current project's contract deadline if we get output this slow. Has anyone else experienced the same slowdown, or does anyone have a suggestion for settings I could change to improve performance?

• 1. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
          lasvideo Level 4
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
            zachmull Level 1

Thanks. I submitted a bug report yesterday, and I've been trying to find evidence of other people experiencing the same problem, but I haven't run across it yet. I've seen threads here and on Creative COW discussing artifacts in XDCAM EX in CS6, but nothing related to slow rendering or transcoding.

• 3. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Are the XDCAM HD clips longer, more than 20 minutes?  That usually causes clip spanning, which used to work fine but somehow got broke in CS6.  More folks seem to be reporting this problem with AVCHD spanned media, but I can see the possibility of you being affected by it as well.

• 4. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                zachmull Level 1

Jim, we are indeed working with spanned media. We are cutting XDCAM HD recorded with a NanoFlash unit, so almost every sequence we're working with includes mutiple .MXF files from a single take. Thanks for pointing me to the root cause. Has anyone found a workaround or at least a way to improve performance with spanned AVCHD in CS6?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe is aware of the issue and working on a fix, but until that comes out the only solution is to go back to an earlier version of PP, or to covert the multiple spanned files into one file outside of PP (preferably using a lossless format like the UT codec, so no additional degradation occurs.)  Take note that you may lose timecode and other metadata if you go the conversion route.

You might also try not using the NanoFlash and recording directly in camera, as not all spanned media is affected by the problem.

• 6. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                    zachmull Level 1

Thanks Jim. Knowing the root cause of the problem is a big help. For now we will revert to CS5.5. We used the NanoFlash because we were recording aerial footage with a Cineflex unit, which uses a Sony camera head with no built-in recorder. I will suggest that we replace the NanoFlash with a different unit next time we fly. I already found the spanned media logistically annoying to work with, so I wouldn't be sorry to see the NanoFlash go.

• 7. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Every external recorder uses the FAT32 file format, which is what causes the spanning.  So...even with a different recorder, you'll still have to deal with spanning.

[Edited for content]

[Sorry, Jim.  We're simply not going to go there.]

• 8. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                        UlfLaursen Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

Adobe is aware of the issue and working on a fix, but until that comes out the only solution is to go back to an earlier version of PP, or to covert the multiple spanned files into one file outside of PP (preferably using a lossless format like the UT codec, so no additional degradation occurs.)  Take note that you may lose timecode and other metadata if you go the conversion route.

You might also try not using the NanoFlash and recording directly in camera, as not all spanned media is affected by the problem.

I use this option for now at Jim's recommendation in another thread, and admitted, it's an extra step in your workflow to transcode to UT first, but you don't have to monitor the computer while it does it, and you are safely editing after that.

Hope for a soon fix though

/Ulf

• 9. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                          zachmull Level 1

Thanks Jim and Ulf. Unfortunately we can't use the transcode solution, but I really appreciate the suggestion. I work in the geographic information systems sector, and we can't sacrifice any metadata because accuracy is so important. For our workflow absolute time code is almost as crucial as the actual image. I'm back to CS5.5 for now, sadly, but I'll work on an alternate recording strategy if we end up shooting again before spanned media starts to render quickly again in CS6.

• 10. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                            UlfLaursen Level 2

I am not at my studio now, but I'll do a test tomorrow - as far as I remember timecode is preserved when I trnscode to avi with the UT codec, but I'll be back in 12 hrs. or so :)

Ulf

• 11. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                              steadistone Level 1

There is a solution to concatenate, or join the files without transcoding. It is offered up by Convergent Design, the people who make the nanoFlash. Unfortunately, it is a Mac only piece of software.

New to the forum and not sure about the rules regarding off site URL posting, so if you go to the Convergent Design site and go to the "Downloads" section, you will see a link to the concatenate program. You will have to test it out to see if the pertinent metadata is retained.

Hope it works out.

Addendum:

A question to the Adobe people... Is there at ETA on the fix for this? The nanoFlash is a big part of our production workflow and we just ordered up our upgrade copy of Premiere Pro CS6 only 2 hours ago.

• 12. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                                Greg Baber Adobe Employee

We do not provide ETAs on updates until they are official.

• 13. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                                  UlfLaursen Level 2

zachmull wrote:

Thanks Jim and Ulf. Unfortunately we can't use the transcode solution, but I really appreciate the suggestion. I work in the geographic information systems sector, and we can't sacrifice any metadata because accuracy is so important. For our workflow absolute time code is almost as crucial as the actual image. I'm back to CS5.5 for now, sadly, but I'll work on an alternate recording strategy if we end up shooting again before spanned media starts to render quickly again in CS6.

Well, I just opened a project with transcodec files from Canon XF to AVI / UT, and the timecode seems to be there.

/Ulf

• 14. Re: XDCAM Render time increased 10x in Premiere CS6
                                    zachmull Level 1

Thanks for checking into that Ulf. If I can preserve time code with a UT workflow, I will try that for our next project.