6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 11:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Why use 3 different  disks for editing

rexeve Level 1

Hi Forum,

Can someone please explain why it is important to use at least 3 different high speed physical disks for editing?

I am currently working with1920 - 1080 Blackmagic Motion JPEG footage, and at the moment my storage setup is

C: for OS/Programs

External esata Raid 0: for Captured media/scratch files/project files..

I am currently editing on both my Workstation and my Laptop swapping the esata raid drive between systems, however on my Workstation I am experiencing occasional playback and exporting problems while editing on my Workstation.

On my laptop it is worse, playback regularly pauses for long periods before continuing or crashing (Not responding)

Could the above mentioned problems be due to my storage setting? If so can I get away with adding an additional external esata 7200 to store my Render/Scratch/Project files? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My PC configurations are:

HP Z400 Workstation

2.67GHz, 2661 Mhz Quad core

16 GB ram

1TB internal 7200 RPM

External Esata 4 TB Raid 0

Premiere CS5.5

Win 7 Pro OS

Laptop is

Toshiba Satellite A660

i7 CPU 1.73GHz 1733 Mhz Quad core

500 GB Internal 7200 PPM

External Esata 4 TB Raid 0

4 GB Ram

Premiere CS5.5

Win 7 Home Premium.

Thanks in advance.

Rex.

• 1. Re: Why use 3 different  disks for editing
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

In short, you need multiple disk setup so as to eliminate reading/writing at the same time conflicts. See this Optimizing Hard Disks video from Todd. The video contains the reference to this Harm's article about disk setup.

Also your laptop amount of RAM is far below of what you need for good performance. A practical minimum is 8-12 Gb (and 24 Gb or higher - for optimal performance).

• 2. Re: Why use 3 different  disks for editing
            KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to hardware forum

• 3. Re: Why use 3 different  disks for editing
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rex, the three disk setup is a good setup but for a laptop like yours with an external RAID 0 setup, it is quite adequate for medium compexity codecs like AVCHD if you are getting good performance from the RAID 0 system because a two disk RAID 0 system should be almost double the read and write times which makes it possibly even better than two seperate drives

Yes you definitely will be better off with more RAM.

• 4. Re: Why use 3 different  disks for editing
                Alan Craven Level 4

I am editing AVCHD on a Sony laptop with a very similar spec to yours, with media on an external eSATA drive which is not RAID. 

BUT I replaced the supplied 5400 rpm drive with a 7900 rpm Seagate Momentus XT, and added another 4GB of RAM.  This is the laptop's limit for RAM, but I wish I could add more.  I have 32GB in my desktop.

• 5. Re: Why use 3 different  disks for editing
                  rexeve Level 1

Thank you all for your helpful advice, Fuzzys post in particular proved very helpful, the video and link provided everything i needed to know, and as a result of all your input i have now decided to increase my Laptop ram to the system maximum of 8GB, and have also ordered an additional  esata external Black caviar 7200 hard drive to store my Render/Scratch files..

Thanks a million guys.

All the best.

Rex.

• 6. Re: Why use 3 different  disks for editing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Rex,

In the end, it is about spreading the I/O load over more HDD's and controllers. That way, nothing is waiting on anything else, to complete its tasks.

Can one work with externals, with fast connections? Absolutely.

Though I have 3x internal SATA II's on my laptop, I need to migrate many of my Projects between computers, so I give up some performance by NOT spreading that I/O load, but it keeps my Projects, Media and Scratch Disks on one FW-800 external. Not ideal from a performance point, but adequate for me in most cases. A compromise on throughput makes life easier in other respects - at least for me.

Good luck, and that link that Fuzzy provided IS a good one.

Hunt