4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 3:48 PM by rgarto

Outlook2010 restricted after Flash update

Florida2117

This morning Flash Player and AIR were updated. It also installed (which I later uninstalled) the Google browser and toolbar. Now when I click on a link in an Outlook2010 email instead of the webpage opening in IE9 I get a message stating "This operation hs been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". This is my computer and I AM the system administrator. Yesterday I did not have this problem!

What do I need to do/reset to correct this problem?

• 1. Re: Outlook2010 restricted after Flash update
          wayne_JK

I just spent about 2 hours on this myself. The problem is Chrome uninstalls sloppily and requires registry editing to fix it. Here's the fix I found from another website:

""This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.

... you may also need to change the HTM/HTML association in the registry. 

1. Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
          2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html
          3. Right click the value for the .html key and select Modify...
          4. Change the value from "ChromeHTML" to "htmlfile" (or from FireFoxHTML to htmlfile)

Repeat these steps for htm and .shtml keys if they exist. You may also want to check the xhtml and xhtm keys.""

I basically had to change every value in the registry location that said "ChromeHTML" to "htmlfile" and there were a few.

If you're not keen on RegEdit, then I also read that you can try reinstalling Chrome, then use the Default Programs Control Panel to reset the default browser to IE or whatever before uninstalling.

Bottom line: Adobe NEEDS to fix this. They should NOT automatically install Chrome (or anything) without user consent. That's just bad form.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Outlook2010 restricted after Flash update
            pwillener Level 8

Thank you for this!

I also started having a similar problem this morning; hyperlinks from Windows Live Mail would suddenly open Word 2010 instead of my default browser.  Ctrl+clicking on a hyperlink in Word would result in "This operation has been canceled...".

So far I have replaced about 10 instances of "ChromeHTML" (actually it's "ChromeHTML.TI35LK7OZF6UMI3QDDGB6WXTG4"), but some entries refuse to be changed (Error writing the value's new content).

I'll do some further research on this.

• 3. Re: Outlook2010 restricted after Flash update
              pwillener Level 8

Making Firefox / Waterfox my default browser finally fixed the problem.

• 4. Re: Outlook2010 restricted after Flash update
                rgarto Level 1

I had the same problem, just setting Firefox or IE back to default wouldn't solve it for me though. I reinstalled Chrome then while Chrome was still installed changed the default browser back to Firefox. After that I was able to uninstall Chrome without causing the registry error because when I uninstalled it the second time it wasn't the default browser.