32 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 8:45 AM by John T Smith RSS

Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Stuart Clark Community Member

Hi guys,

Some time ago I installed the Adobe Master Collection CS3 on the Windows 8 Release Preview. I had a number of problems and gave up, however as the final version of Windows 8 is now available as a 90 day trial I thought I'd try again. I know this isn't supported but I'd like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 and I can't afford to upgrade Master Collection, so I figured I'd see how far I can get.

• So, I've made a clean install of Windows 8. I've put iTunes and QuickTime on it. I've not installed any Codecs (except those that would come with these).
      • I've opened Premiere Pro CS3 and tried an old project file. It opened but insisted a large number of media files were offline.
      • I tried opening the files in Windows - they run okay.
      • I made a new project file in Premiere and tried to import, but received:

error.png

These are files that previously imported correctly under Windows 7. They're ones I encoded into H.264 using MPEG_StreamClip. File details:

details.png

So it looks like the codec is missing, is that the problem? I'm a bit unconvinced as I can run the videos in Windows. Is there a codec I should try?

I've installed Windows 8 on a partition so I'm happy to play around with this providing I can still deactivate the Master Collection at the end. I'm going to be away for a couple of days next week so apologies in advance if I don't answer straight away :-)

Stu.

Message was edited by: Stuart Clark (images reinstated)

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported
          John T Smith MVP

Since you have Quicktime installed, your MOV file "should" open

Are you using any compatibility settings to run that "old" CS3 on the "new" Win8?

Go to http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US and search for Win8 compatibility settings

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Ah no - that’s a very good point, I wasn’t.

Just cooking ATM but I’ll try that over the weekend and see what happens. It’s very strange as the movie does open in other programs, it’s just Premiere that doesn’t appear to like it.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported
              J. Simon Community Member

I've got the CS6 suite running just fine under the Release Preview.  No compatibility adjustments were required.

The larger issue may be that H.264 in an MOV wrapper is a fairly new format used mostly by DSLR's, support for which wasn't really added to PP until CS5.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Thanks Jim, Jon,

I turned on Windows XP SP3 Compatability Settings and set it to run as Administrator - that appears to have done the trick! Thanks for the suggestion :-)

EDIT: Having said that I set Premiere opening an old project file 30 mins ago and it hasn't managed it yet :-S

Message was edited by: Stuart Clark

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Very quick update for you, however I tried opening a couple of project files from earlier projects. These seemed to hang forever.There were a lot of H.264 .mov's.

I'd expect these to work as they run in Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 7. It's possible these aren't the cause, and that it's a different asset - are there any logs recorded in Premiere Pro CS3 that would indicate what asset may be causing it to hang?

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Tried leaving it open over night. It just hangs on the Load Project screen :-(

load.png

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported
                      John T Smith MVP

Can you create a new project and either (1) import the old project [sometimes will "fix" a corrupted project] or (2) just work with the new project, importing the video files?

When I still had CS3 I never worked with anything other than DV AVI video, so I really can't help with the files you have

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Hi John,

It hadn't occured to me to create a new project file and import the old one into it - I guess I do that as if it were any other asset? I'll certainly give that a shot. 

I won't try to recreate the old movie from scratch because it's quite complicated (for me, anyway!) and it's finished. I'm just making sure both new projects and old will run fine if I upgrade to Windows 8 in October, so this is more of a test before I upgrade than anything else.

I only realised yesterday that CS3 wouldn't have all of the patches applied (I believe that because this is an old version they don't update automatically). I downloaded and installed all the patches from Adobe yesterday before trying to open the file in the screenshot above but alas, no change :-(

I need to research this, but I'm really hoping Premiere has some kind of error log hidden somewhere. If I can identify what file it's struggling with I'll be one step closer to finding out why it's doing this under 8 when it didn't under 7.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported
                          the_wine_snob Community Member

Stuart,

It hadn't occured to me to create a new project file and import the old one into it - I guess I do that as if it were any other asset? I'll certainly give that a shot.

You are correct - it's just like Importing an Asset, with two little caveats (that I can think of):

• The Project will Import with a full Bin structure, so you might need to twirl-open some of the Bins, to find the Sequences.

• Initially, the Sequences should appear in those Bins, and all you need to do is Dbl-click on them in the Project Panel, to open them as Timelines.

Good luck, and hope that it works for you.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Hi everyone,

Over the weekend I tried:

• Importing the earlier project file (No change)
                            • Renaming the earlier cache folder where all the preview files were located in case it's the previews Premiere is struggling with.

Unfortunately there's no change and the program still hangs.

I don't know if it's relevant but in Task Manager and Resource Manager, there's still CPU activity and the program isn't listed as hanging, however it can evidently run for days without managing to open the files.

Another thing occurs to me (I'm just thinking this through so I may be well off the mark here): Am I right in thinking the H.264 codec is the same as used in Blu-Ray? In Windows 7 there was native support for Blu-Ray and DVD and the codecs were included. in Windows 8 Enterprise this isn't the case so could that be the issue here? Maybe there's a codec I should install?

However I guess that theory could be completely wrong as I can still open the source H.264 encoded files and I don't think these codecs were included in XP, which is obviously the OS CS3 was designed for.

Any suggestions?

My next tests will be to start a new project file. All assets including movies, audio, Photoshop PSDs are stored in relevant subfolders so I'll try importing each folder one by one into a new project and see which folder causes the software to hang.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Just found something out which may be relevant.

It ocurred to me that, since I only accessed some folders via Windows File Explorer when I was using Windows 7, 8 may not have permission to access all those folders (for example, this message):

permissions.png

I decided to go a-clicking through all my project folders, and suddenly I noticed there were preview folders created when Premiere tried to open the project:

Image 002.png

Under Windows 7, to help me manage disc space easily I set Premiere to use a seperate drive for scratch, media etc, which means the folders of pointed arrows to above must have been created under my Windows 8 installation. I'd forgotten to apply these settings in Windows 8. I opened Premiere, created a new file so I could access the settings. I checked Premiere and the file paths look a bit messed up:

Image 000.png

I corrected these:

Image 003.png

I cleaned the Media cache (which points to C so I'm guessing it should be okay):

Image 001.png

- And now I've tried opening the file again. No change so far though but I'll leave it running :-(

Any other ideas?

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Okay, the file froze at the same point.

I tried opening another file which had footage made on the same camera.

This froze at the same point - but then managed to move on and opened the file.

So I'm not sure where this leaves me - does that mean the problem must be with a particular asset? Still not sure why this opens some projects but not others.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Although if it were just an asset, would Premiere simply report an error and skip it? The strange thing is that even though it can hang for days, there's still activity showing in task manager and the system resource screen.

Sorry for all the waffle, I'm just trying to log all my tests for my benefit and for anyone else that has the same issue in the future.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Tested assets:

• Audio imported okay
                                    • PSDs imported okay
                                    • JPG photographs imported okay
                                    • But H.264 encoded .mov files are taking hours to import even a small percentage (but appear to still be running).

Initial conclusions: something in Windows 8 is making it hard, but not impossible, for Premiere CS3 to import my movie files.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Today I was more careful with my imports and discovered that it isn't the H.264 encoded files that are the problem - it's a batch of 200 motion-jpg encoded .mov's I'd forgotten about! When Premiere tries to import these it causes Premiere to mess up - CPU activity continues but nothing really moves forward.

At least now I know this I can convert these to a different format, although I have to say I'm surprised as I've not heard of Premiere CS3 having issues with motion jpeg before!

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported
                                        John T Smith MVP

Some saved links... and which MJPEG codec do you have installed?

1st link is an article by Bill Hunt that may help

MJPEG http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396

- problems with Samsung codec http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699493

- and Fuji http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015922

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Ah interesting - thanks John! I've just logged on to my home PC and taken a look. Wasn't sure of the best way to check so I've loaded Windows Media Player, gone to Help => About and taken the following from the "Technical Support Information" link:

codecs.gif

I can't see it listed - I've not installed anything specifically for this (but I don't think I had to under Windows 7). It is (from memory) a Fujifilm FinePix S5200 so you may already have supplied the answer in the Fuji link - I'll check it out!

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Here's what I do know though:

• Files play back okay in Windows Media Player and edit without problem in Windows 7.
                                            • Under Windows 8 Premiere Pro CS3 stuggles to imort them although no crash is reported and the task manager shows CPU activity.
                                            • They're AVI Motion JPEGs from a Fuji Finepix s5200 (not exactly great for video, yeah I know)
                                            • GSpot indicates the codecs are installed (but maybe needs a better codec?)
                                            • Here's the GSpot analysis:

gs.png

So I may need to try a different codec if I want to import them straight into Premiere without any conversion. Alternatively I could use MPEG StreamClip to convert them to H.264 mov's which would be consistent with my other movie files.

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Installed codecs (from gspot)

¤VideoAVI Decompressor{CF49D4E0-1115-11CE-B03A-0020AF0BA770}0x00600000quartz.dll
                                              -

ACMFmtTag: 0x0031    Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC for MSACMmsacm.msgsm6100x00200000quartz.dll --> msgsm32.acm
                                              ACMFmtTag: 0x0006    Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law and u-Law) CODEC for MSACMmsacm.msg7110x00200000quartz.dll --> msg711.acm
                                              ACMFmtTag: 0x0007    Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law and u-Law) CODEC for MSACMmsacm.msg7110x00200000quartz.dll --> msg711.acm
                                              ACMFmtTag: 0x0055    MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACMmsacm.l3acm0x00200000quartz.dll --> l3codeca.acm
                                              ACMFmtTag: 0x0011    IMA ADPCM CODEC for MSACMmsacm.imaadpcm0x00200000quartz.dll --> imaadp32.acm
                                              ACMFmtTag: 0x0002    Microsoft ADPCM CODEC for MSACMmsacm.msadpcm0x00200000quartz.dll --> msadp32.acm
                                              ACMFmtTag: 0x028e    Messenger Audio Codecmsacm.siren0x00200000quartz.dll --> sirenacm.dll
                                              DMO MP4S    Mpeg4s Decoder DMO{2A11BAE2-FE6E-4249-864B-9E9ED6E8DBC2}0x00800001qasf.dll --> mp4sdecd.dll
                                              DMOMSS1WMV Screen decoder DMO{7BAFB3B1-D8F4-4279-9253-27DA423108DE}0x00000000qasf.dll --> wmvsdecd.dll
                                              DMOWMV1WMVideo Decoder DMO{82D353DF-90BD-4382-8BC2-3F6192B76E34}0x00800001qasf.dll --> wmvdecod.dll
                                              DMO
                                              QuickTime Video Decoder Filter{AC5E8A54-357A-4E28-AD0E-6041FAABD3D5}0x00000000qasf.dll --> mtw178.ddc
                                              DMO MP43    Mpeg43 Decoder DMO{CBA9E78B-49A3-49EA-93D4-6BCBA8C4DE07}0x00800001qasf.dll --> mp43decd.dll
                                              DMO MPG4    Mpeg4 Decoder DMO{F371728A-6052-4D47-827C-D039335DFE0A}0x00800001qasf.dll --> mpg4decd.dll
                                              DMO
                                              QuickTime Audio Decoder Filter{007474E7-1A02-46E1-AF4C-FD819A1E8D15}0x00000000qasf.dll --> gzHF330.ddc
                                              DMOFmtTag: 0x0160    WMAudio Decoder DMO{2EEB4ADF-4578-4D10-BCA7-BB955F56320A}0x00800800qasf.dll --> WMADMOD.DLL
                                              DMOWMAudioV9WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO{5210F8E4-B0BB-47C3-A8D9-7B2282CC79ED}0x00000000qasf.dll --> WMADMOD.DLL
                                              DMOWMSP1WMSpeech Decoder DMO{874131CB-4ECC-443B-8948-746B89595D20}0x00000000qasf.dll --> WMSPDMOD.DLL
                                              DMOFmtTag: 0x0055    MP3 Decoder DMO{BBEEA841-0A63-4F52-A7AB-A9B3A84ED38A}0x00000000qasf.dll --> mp3dmod.dll
                                              DSHMPEG1PacketMPEG Video Decoder{FEB50740-7BEF-11CE-9BD9-0000E202599C}0x40000001quartz.dll
                                              DSHMPEG1PacketMPEG Audio Decoder{4A2286E0-7BEF-11CE-9BD9-0000E202599C}0x03680001quartz.dll
                                              DSHFmtTag: 0x0160    WMAudio Decoder DMO{2EEB4ADF-4578-4D10-BCA7-BB955F56320A}0x00800800WMADMOD.DLL
                                              DSH MP4S    Mpeg4s Decoder DMO{2A11BAE2-FE6E-4249-864B-9E9ED6E8DBC2}0x00800001mp4sdecd.dll
                                              DSHWMV1WMVideo Decoder DMO{82D353DF-90BD-4382-8BC2-3F6192B76E34}0x00800001wmvdecod.dll
                                              DSH MP43    Mpeg43 Decoder DMO{CBA9E78B-49A3-49EA-93D4-6BCBA8C4DE07}0x00800001mp43decd.dll
                                              DSH MPG4    Mpeg4 Decoder DMO{F371728A-6052-4D47-827C-D039335DFE0A}0x00800001mpg4decd.dll
                                              DSHFmtTag: 0x00ff    DivX AAC Decoder{2CCC9657-58A9-41AC-AA39-451202B98FAF}0x00800000daac.ax
                                              DSHFmtTag: 0x00ff    CoreAAC Audio Decoder{6AC7C19E-8CA0-4E3D-9A9F-2881DE29E0AC}0x00800000CoreAAC.ax
                                              DSH XVID    DivX H.264 Decoder{6F513D27-97C3-453C-87FE-B24AE50B1601}0x00800000DivXDecH264.ax
                                              DSH XVID    DivX Decoder Filter{78766964-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}0x00800000DivXDec.ax
                                              DSHDVSDDV Video Decoder{B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}0x00800000qdv.dll
                                              DSHFmtTag: 0x0055    DScaler Audio Decoder{D2CA75C2-05A1-4915-88A8-D433F876D186}0x00800000MpegAudio.dll
                                              DSHMPEG2_VIDEODScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder{F8904F1F-0371-4471-8866-90E6281ABDB6}0x00800000MpegVideo.dll
                                              DSHWMAudioV9WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO{5210F8E4-B0BB-47C3-A8D9-7B2282CC79ED}0x00600800WMADMOD.DLL
                                              DSHWMSP1WMSpeech Decoder DMO{874131CB-4ECC-443B-8948-746B89595D20}0x00600800WMSPDMOD.DLL
                                              DSHFmtTag: 0x0055    MP3 Decoder DMO{BBEEA841-0A63-4F52-A7AB-A9B3A84ED38A}0x00600800mp3dmod.dll
                                              DSHMSS1WMV Screen decoder DMO{7BAFB3B1-D8F4-4279-9253-27DA423108DE}0x00600800wmvsdecd.dll
                                              DSHIYUVWMVideo8 Encoder DMO{7E320092-596A-41B2-BBEB-175D10504EB6}0x00600800wmvxencd.dll
                                              DSHIYUVWMVideo9 Encoder DMO{D23B90D0-144F-46BD-841D-59E4EB19DC59}0x00600800wmvencod.dll
                                              DSHRGB24MSScreen 9 encoder DMO{F7FFE0A0-A4F5-44B5-949E-15ED2BC66F9D}0x00600800wmvsencd.dll
                                              DSHPCMWM Speech Encoder DMO{1F1F4E1A-2252-4063-84BB-EEE75F8856D5}0x00600800WMSPDMOE.DLL
                                              DSHPCMWMAudio Encoder DMO{70F598E9-F4AB-495A-99E2-A7C4D3D89ABF}0x00600800WMADMOE.DLL
                                              DSHMJPGAVI Draw{A888DF60-1E90-11CF-AC98-00AA004C0FA9}0x00600064quartz.dll
                                              DSHAUXLine21DataLine 21 Decoder 2{E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}0x00600002quartz.dll
                                              DSH
                                              BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter{FC772AB0-0C7F-11D3-8FF2-00A0C9224CF4}0x00600000psisrndr.ax
                                              DSH
                                              MPEG-2 Sections and Tables{C666E115-BB62-4027-A113-82D643FE2D99}0x00600000Mpeg2Data.ax
                                              DSHVPVideoVideo Port Manager{6F26A6CD-967B-47FD-874A-7AED2C9D25A2}0x00600000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAviAVI Splitter{1B544C20-FD0B-11CE-8C63-00AA0044B51E}0x00600000quartz.dll
                                              DSHFmtTag: 0x00ff    "MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder"{214CD0D1-FC06-41B1-8BB8-84DA4CFB17D9}0x00600000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2daac.ax"
                                              DSHDOLBY_AC3AC3 Parser Filter{280A3020-86CF-11D1-ABE6-00A0C905F375}0x00600000mpg2splt.ax
                                              DSHMJPGMJPEG Decompressor{301056D0-6DFF-11D2-9EEB-006008039E37}0x00600000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioACM Wrapper{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00600000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAUXLine21DataLine 21 Decoder{6E8D4A20-310C-11D0-B79A-00AA003767A7}0x00600000qdvd.dll
                                              DSHVPVBIVBI Surface Allocator{814B9800-1C88-11D1-BAD9-00609744111A}0x00600000vbisurf.ax
                                              DSHMPEG2_TRANSPORTMPEG-2 Demultiplexer{AFB6C280-2C41-11D3-8A60-0000F81E0E4A}0x00600000mpg2splt.ax
                                              DSHStreamRealMedia Splitter{E21BE468-5C18-43EB-B0CC-DB93A847D769}0x00600000RealMediaSplitter.ax
                                              DSHVideo"MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder"{FF890B41-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}0x00600000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2dsh264.ax"
                                              DSHAudioPBDA DTFilter{09144FD6-BB29-11DB-96F1-005056C00008}0x00600000CPFilters.dll
                                              DSHAudioDecrypt/Tag{C4C4C4F2-0049-4E2B-98FB-9537F6CE516D}0x00600000EncDec.dll
                                              DSHMPEG1SystemMPEG-I Stream Splitter{336475D0-942A-11CE-A870-00AA002FEAB5}0x00600000quartz.dll
                                              DSHDVSDDV Splitter{4EB31670-9FC6-11CF-AF6E-00AA00B67A42}0x00600000qdv.dll
                                              DSHVBIVBI Codec{370A1D5D-DDEB-418C-81CD-189E0D4FA443}0x00600000VBICodec.ax
                                              DSHMPEG2_PROGRAMMPEG-2 Splitter{3AE86B20-7BE8-11D1-ABE6-00A0C905F375}0x005fffffmpg2splt.ax
                                              DSHMPEG1Packet"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Decoder"{25AD5730-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}0x005fffff** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"
                                              DSHMPEG1Packet"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder"{25AD5740-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}0x005fffff** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"
                                              DSHDOLBY_AC3Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder{E1F1A0B8-BEEE-490D-BA7C-066C40B5E2B9}0x005fffffmsmpeg2adec.dll
                                              DSHMPEG1System"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Splitter"{25AD5720-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}0x005fffff** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcspmpeg.ax"
                                              DSHMPEG2_VIDEOMicrosoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder{212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD}0x005fffffmsmpeg2vdec.dll
                                              DSHRGB8Color Space Converter{1643E180-90F5-11CE-97D5-00AA0055595A}0x00400001quartz.dll
                                              DSHRGB8VGA 16 Color Ditherer{1DA08500-9EDC-11CF-BC10-00AA00AC74F6}0x00400000quartz.dll
                                              DSH RV20    RealVideo Decoder{238D0F23-5DC9-45A6-9BE2-666160C324DD}0x00400000RealMediaSplitter.ax
                                              DSHStreamSAMI (CC) Parser{33FACFE0-A9BE-11D0-A520-00A0D10129C0}0x00400000quartz.dll
                                              DSHMPEG1AudioAAC Parser{3C78B8E2-6C4D-11D1-AEE2-0000F7754B98}0x00400000aac_parser.ax
                                              DSH 14_4    RealAudio Decoder{941A4793-A705-4312-8DFC-C11CA05F397E}0x00400000RealMediaSplitter.ax
                                              DSHWAVEWave Parser{D51BD5A1-7548-11CF-A520-0080C77EF58A}0x00400000quartz.dll
                                              DSHMidiMIDI Parser{D51BD5A2-7548-11CF-A520-0080C77EF58A}0x00400000quartz.dll
                                              DSHStreamMulti-file Parser{D51BD5A3-7548-11CF-A520-0080C77EF58A}0x00400000quartz.dll
                                              DSHFileFile stream renderer{D51BD5A5-7548-11CF-A520-0080C77EF58A}0x00400000quartz.dll
                                              DSHDVSDWMT Virtual Renderer{080D588E-9756-455B-BBDA-E8BCF9EC7769}0x00200000WLXVAFilt.dll
                                              DSH
                                              File Writer{781C76F5-5F6B-4F84-A987-FE6063313925}0x00200000WLXVAFilt.dll
                                              DSH
                                              File writer{8596E5F0-0DA5-11D0-BD21-00A0C911CE86}0x00200000qcap.dll
                                              DSHAviAVI Mux{E2510970-F137-11CE-8B67-00AA00A3F1A6}0x00200000qcap.dll
                                              DSHVideo"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Encoder"{25AD5750-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}0x00200000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcesmpeg.ax"
                                              DSHYUY2Microsoft MPEG-2 Encoder{5F5AFF4A-2F7F-4279-88C2-CD88EB39D144}0x00200000msmpeg2enc.dll
                                              DSHYV12"MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264 Encoder"{FF890B51-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}0x00200000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2esh264.ax"
                                              DSHVideoWMT VIH2 Fix{080D0809-7456-4FBC-8493-0D2BF99EA48C}0x00200000WLXVAFilt.dll
                                              DSHVideoRecord Queue{080D11FB-A303-4514-88FE-7DDA4DFE9E4B}0x00200000WLXVAFilt.dll
                                              DSHVideoWMT Switch Filter{080D1473-5FEA-4029-875C-53EE96549ACC}0x00200000WLXVAFilt.dll
                                              DSHVideoWMT DV Extract{080D5974-4B61-458B-921B-17628E423713}0x00200000WLXVAFilt.dll
                                              DSHVideoWMT Sample Information Filter{080DFEE8-4097-4BAB-B7A7-1B11F4958213}0x00200000WLXVAFilt.dll
                                              DSHRGB24"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder"{25AD5760-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}0x00200000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcevmpeg.ax"
                                              DSHPCM"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder"{25AD5770-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}0x00200000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mceampeg.ax"
                                              DSHMPEG1Video"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Multiplexer"{25AD5780-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}0x00200000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcmuxmpeg.ax"
                                              DSHYUY2Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder{42150CD9-CA9A-4EA5-9939-30EE037F6E74}0x00200000msmpeg2enc.dll
                                              DSHVideoOverlay Mixer2{A0025E90-E45B-11D1-ABE9-00A0C905F375}0x00200000qdvd.dll
                                              DSHPCMMicrosoft MPEG-2 Audio Encoder{ACD453BC-C58A-44D1-BBF5-BFB325BE2D78}0x00200000msmpeg2enc.dll
                                              DSHTELETEXTWST Pager{AD6C8934-F31B-4F43-B5E4-0541C1452F6F}0x00200000WSTPager.ax
                                              DSH
                                              SampleGrabber{C1F400A0-3F08-11D3-9F0B-006008039E37}0x00200000qedit.dll
                                              DSHPCMMicrosoft AC3 Encoder{C6B400E2-20A7-4E58-A2FE-24619682CE6C}0x00200000msac3enc.dll
                                              DSH
                                              Infinite Pin Tee Filter{F8388A40-D5BB-11D0-BE5A-0080C706568E}0x00200000qcap.dll
                                              DSHRGB24"MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder"{FF890B61-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}0x00200000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2evh264.ax"
                                              DSHAudioIMA ADPCM{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioPCM{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioMicrosoft ADPCM{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioGSM 6.10{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioMessenger Audio Codec{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioCCITT A-Law{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioCCITT u-Law{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHAudioMPEG Layer-3{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              DSHVideoSmart Tee{CC58E280-8AA1-11D1-B3F1-00AA003761C5}0x00200000qcap.dll
                                              DSH
                                              Closed Captions Analysis Filter{3D07A539-35CA-447C-9B05-8D85CE924F9E}0x00200000cca.dll
                                              DSHPCM"MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Encoder"{866DFE40-5582-4FA6-B4BC-665781A007E6}0x00100000** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2eaac.ax"
                                              RENDScriptCommandInternal Script Command Renderer{48025243-2D39-11CE-875D-00608CB78066}0x00800001quartz.dll
                                              RENDVideoVideo Renderer{6BC1CFFA-8FC1-4261-AC22-CFB4CC38DB50}0x00800001quartz.dll
                                              RENDPCMDefault DirectSound Device{79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00800000quartz.dll
                                              RENDMidiDefault MidiOut Device{07B65360-C445-11CE-AFDE-00AA006C14F4}0x00800000quartz.dll
                                              RENDVideoVideo Renderer{70E102B0-5556-11CE-97C0-00AA0055595A}0x00400000quartz.dll
                                              RENDAudioDefault WaveOut Device{E30629D1-27E5-11CE-875D-00608CB78066}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              RENDPCMDirectSound: Remote Audio{79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              RENDVideoVideo Mixing Renderer 9{51B4ABF3-748F-4E3B-A276-C828330E926A}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              REND
                                              Null Renderer{C1F400A4-3F08-11D3-9F0B-006008039E37}0x00200000qedit.dll
                                              RENDVideoEnhanced Video Renderer{FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}0x00200000evr.dll
                                              RENDMidiMicrosoft GS Wavetable Synth{07B65360-C445-11CE-AFDE-00AA006C14F4}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              RENDAudioRemote Audio{E30629D1-27E5-11CE-875D-00608CB78066}0x00200000quartz.dll
                                              VFWCVIDCinepak Codec by Radiusvidc.cvid0x00200000quartz.dll --> iccvid.dll
                                              VFWDIVXDivX 6.9.2 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)vidc.divx0x00200000quartz.dll --> DivX.dll
                                              VFWI420Intel IYUV codecvidc.i4200x00200000quartz.dll --> iyuv_32.dll
                                              VFWIYUVIntel IYUV codecvidc.iyuv0x00200000quartz.dll --> iyuv_32.dll
                                              VFWMRLEMicrosoft RLEvidc.mrle0x00200000quartz.dll --> msrle32.dll
                                              VFWMSVCMicrosoft Video 1vidc.msvc0x00200000quartz.dll --> msvidc32.dll
                                              VFWYV12DivX 6.9.2 YV12 Decodervidc.yv120x00200000quartz.dll --> DivX.dll
                                              • 20. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

So the mjpeg codecs installed (according to gspot and if I'm understanding this correctly) are:

Video
                                                AVI Decompressor{CF49D4E0-1115-11CE-B03A-0020AF0BA770}0x00600000quart
                                                SHMJPGAVI Draw{A888DF60-1E90-11CF-AC98-00AA004C0FA9}0x00600064quartz.dll
                                                DSHMJPGMJPEG Decompressor{301056D0-6DFF-11D2-9EEB-006008039E37}0x00600000quartz.dll
                                                • 21. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Thanks John - an incredibly helpful response with some fantastic links.

It looks likely now, having read those threads, that although I have a mjpeg codec installed, it's not the mjpeg codec I need. I'll have a dig around later when I get home and see if I can find something with a correct Fuji codec on it. Have to admit I'm surprised it's these that are causing the problem (I've never installed any Fuji software on my Windows 7 PC) but if not, I don't expect this should necessarilly stop an upgrade to Windows 8 as I can always convert the files.

Thanks for your help - I'll report back when I've run some more tests!

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Stuart,

One problem with MJPEG is that many camera mfgrs. love to tweak it.

Often, the generic MJPED CODEC's, like Lead's, or MainConcept's, will work just fine. Other times, they do not, or do not work fully. I always recommend that one try to get, and install, the exact version of MJPEG, used by a particular camera, if the generics do now function.

Unfortunately, like the individual MJPEG CODEC's themselves, the installation routine can differ.

In some cases, there is a separate installer for the CODEC, but often, one needs to install the camera's driver to get the exact CODEC, and more often, they have to install the camera's editing, or cataloging utility/utilities, to get the CODEC properly installed. I am a fan of the first method, but few camera mfgrs. seem enamored with that - simple, effective, and does not require additional software - but they seldom go that route.

I feel that users should be contacting Nikon, Lumix, et al, to request a straight CODEC installation on the utilities disc, but maybe that is just me. Having to install a bunch of utilities, just to get a CODEC is NOT the way that I like things, but could be that "lone voice in the wilderness."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Hi Bill,

Thank you (and John) for all the help you've given - don't know where I'd be without the advice in these forums!

I've hunted through Fujifilm.co.uk and, frustratingly they don't offer the codec or any software drivers that explicitly state they're for my camera. Like you say, if all the manufacturers didn't tweek (or offered obvious codec downloads if they did) life would be far far easier! I'm downloading the items they have available and hoping they'll have the codec bundled - if not I'll get in touch with their tech support :-)

There's one thing I keep wondering about - I'm 75% certain I didn't install any additional software or codecs under Windows 7, where Premiere could open these files without issue. Is mjpeg a codec that usually comes bundled in Windows 7? I'm wondering if it's actually Microsoft who have changed something in Windows 8 - can't say for sure though as it is possible I installed something that had the codec bundled on 7 and have just forgotten about it :-S

If I get time later I'll try rebooting into 7 (I've got the drive partitioned with 7 on one and the 8 demo on another) and see what codecs are loaded. If I can find the one I was using in 7 then that may help me to track down what I need :-)

On the plus side though: Premiere CS3 works under Windows 8! I just hope that other items in the master collection suite aren't as complicated! Although in fairness I only ever really used Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Premiere anyway.....

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Stuart,

I do not believe that the MJPEG CODEC is installed with any Windows OS (will be corrected, if I am incorrect), but there ARE ways to get them. IIRC, Apple's QT Pro installs a version of it.

I have several. One probably came from QT Pro, one from Nikon and one from Panasonic/Lumix. There is also the MainConcept that I added, and one more, that I cannot place.

I have only done a bit of work with MJPEG AV files, so am anything BUT an expert. Those have come from my Nikon, or my wife's Panny point-n-shoot. I have never encountered one that would not Import and edit fine. Still, with such limited experience, and no clients any more, I just do not see much of that footage, but do not work with much.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the slow reply - I've been off disc hunting. You've been a great help and I really do appreciate the time you've taken to help me investigate this!

> never encountered one that would not Import and edit fine

That's what I thought too - I know there could be codec issues, but my gut feeling is that this something different. Unfortunately installing the disc didn't help and I'm becoming more convinced this is a fundamental change in Windows 8 causing an incompatibility issue.

But anyway, no matter - I've emailed Fujifilm so hopefully they'll be able to advise on the codec and then I can do some more testing. If not then the answer will hopefully simply be to transcode before importing, which isn't much bother :-)

• 26. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Stuart,

I only wish that I had more to offer.

I think that you are on the right track, by contacting Fuji. I hope that they have a fix for you, and ask that you update the thread, with anything that you find out. That will help people, like me, and also anyone who comes to this thread with the same problem. Thanks for that.

Good luck, and hope that the fix is easy.

Hunt

• 27. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Thanks Bill, I'll certainly post back and let everyone know how things develop! I'll be needing to deactive CS3 in the next month and a bit before the Windows 8 demo expires, however there's a chance if this is OS related then reinstalling the final release may fix a few things if a codec from Fujifilm doesn't. I only hope this is the only problem I find with Windows 8 - indeed I though I was only going to spending an hour or so just checking it works! Hey ho, hopefully these notes will be useful to anyone else trying to do the same thing :-)

• 28. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

While I have not seen a full report, I believe that Jim Simon has been using Win8 with CS 6, and I do not recall reading of any issue there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported
                                                                  John T Smith MVP

Even the much newer, and 64bit, Premiere Elements 10 does not seem to work properly with Win8

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1066799

I don't know what Microsoft did, but it seems they changed Win8 "enough" to cause problems with some programs... at least, with Premiere

• 31. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported

Thanks John - that's very interesting and for my own sanity I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having problems. I have to admit I hadn't expected there to be much difference in installing Premiere CS3 on Vista or 7 (as it wasn't designed for those either) however it looks like there's definitely been some tweeks that are causing a few issues.

Of course, CS3 is old now and I was expecting something not to work, hence the testing before upgrading. I think that when Windows 8 finally goes on sale I may end up dual booting, at least until there are some ways around the problems.

Just found this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/en-US/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsView er?Type=Software&Name=Adobe%20Premiere%20Pro%20CS3&Version=3&Vendor=Adobe&Locale=en

And this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/en-US/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsView er?Type=Software&Name=Adobe%20Creative%20Suite%203%20Master%20Collection&Version=1&Vendor= Adobe&Locale=en

Amusing(ish) that Microsoft indicate the Master Collection is compatible with Windows 8, but Premiere needs to be upgraded :-S

• 32. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 8 Enterprise - File Format Not Supported
                                                                      John T Smith MVP

Dual booting is certainly a viable option... I have an old Pinnacle DV500 digitizer card that will not work with Win7 due to the old device drivers

Every now and then I find an old VHS tape stuck away in a box (amazing how things can get misplaced while moving, and you only find A when you are looking in a box for B) so I dual boot my computer with WinXP and Win7

I don't restart very often, and Win7 is the "default" so when a Windows update does an automatic restart it all goes back to Win7... works for me