21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 10:53 AM by Ann Bens

Suddenly non supported file format

SirQsDad

My HDD where the project files reside crashed and after a few day's work I manage to get everything back.
      Premiere Pro CS6 Crash. First "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened" And now "The file has an unsupported compression type". First issue solved but not the file system one. This is on a project I've been working on for a few months. Other software like VLC can use the files so the files seems to be ok. The problem file format is m2ts untouched from cam. And it have been working for a long time before this crash. Dedicated this weekend for the final editing of this project and now.... Sitting here with a beer and cant do nothing.....

Anyone having a few good cards up their sleeves?

Using the cloud.
      AMD 9950 X6
      16GB RAM
      a zillion GB HDD's
      Gainward GTX 570 1280MB

Windows 7 x64

Message was edited by: SirQsDad

• 1. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
          SirQsDad Level 1

Adding that I have the last uppdates and is activated.

• 2. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
            the_wine_snob Level 9

How did you "recover" from your HDD crash - complete install of the OS and then PrPro, or from a drive image, or similar?

Sounds like you are now missing the H.264 CODEC, where you had it before.

VLC Player, like some others, contains many common CODEC's, so they do not need to be properly installed at the system level. An NLE program, like PrPro needs the CODEC's installed at the system level, to be able to use them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
              SirQsDad Level 1

It was a only the HDD where the projects resides. The film files and OS and PrPro is on other drives.
              It was a error in MBR that made the mess. So I did a RAW copy of the trive and then it all came back.
              So I never reinstalled anything. Just copy files. So the drive letter is the same, the file structure is the same and so on.

Since the first problem "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened" made me to deactivate CS6 and reactivate it can that have anything to do with it? Since AVCHD is not supported in non activated versions (I think). I also think I read somewhere some years ago to delete some files to get "back" funcionality of non function files. But I dont find that post and I dont remember what to delete so......

• 5. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                SirQsDad Level 1

Ok Jim I will try this but it is extremely annoying to have to do that.
                Back in some hours with result.

• 6. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                  SirQsDad Level 1

So I uninstalled all plugins and whole CS6. Run clean tool and reboting. Re-installing everything again and still the same problem.
                  Any other suggestions on this ?

• 7. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                    SirQsDad Level 1

After rebooting a few hundred times and trying to re-link the files suddenly it functions again. No clue what I did but...Hate these things. Lost a good two workingdays and have no clue to what happend or what I did to fix it.

• 8. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

No clue what I did but...Hate these things. Lost a good two workingdays and have no clue to what happend or what I did to fix it.

Like you, I want to find out WHY things did not work, and what I did to correct the problem, but sometimes, one is just left with "it's working now," and that is as good as it gets.

Hope that things continue to work properly, and that your editing goes smoothly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                        SirQsDad Level 1

Thank you bill!

Another thing that came out of this is how bad (in my opinion) Adobe support is. Not meaning you Bill or the others here at the forum but From clicking on support on the start page it took me a good 10 minutes to get to the forum and where to post a question. The website is a jungle for non frequent users. Clicking and new windows and the options for new clicking and new windows. Count clicks from index page to posting page and compare to other sites and I bet there is a big difference.
                        I tried to get a phone number and was that easy?? No again clicking and clicking. I gave up.
                        Online chat support? No not adobe. I bet it is easier to get hold of Vladimir Putin in Kreml.

Conclusion!  Forum seems to be the best bet and you guys do a great job. But it is close to imbarresing that a company the size of Adobe only have a forum as easy access support. This is maybe because I'm used to European standards and US is in this case after a looong mile. But Adobe is having customers from around the world and should maybe look into support others as well.

This is in my opinion!

• 10. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have been in agreement with you for some years - the Adobe product forums are usually the best, until one gets into some odd installation issues, or Activation problems.

For some time, Adobe Technical Support had not been a thing of beauty, or functionality. That does seem to be changing, but probably not as completely, or as quickly, as it could/should. Once, I rated Adobe T/S up near the top of the heap, but that was long ago. Things ARE improving.

At the same time, and in some product forums, there is a much greater (and appreciated) Adobe presence, so those product forums have improved also.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                            SirQsDad Level 1

So the issue goes on...
                            It turned out that the old problem came back. Not from a new HDD crash but just from a failur to pay the membership for the cloud. Now when the payment problem is corrected the *.mts file issue is back.

And I do recall I had a similur issue last time but did not connect it since the HDD issu was more of a lightly bad guy.

So have anyone else had this issue or what is going on in my computer

Deactivating and re activating togehter with rebooting is not the solution so far.

Uninstalling everything Adobe just for this issue is not a solution that will last forever. I prefer to have nothing on my creditcard connected to these functions so I can controll when money is taken from it. Having to reinstall everything for this is not a solution for me. If now this is the case.

• 12. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                              SirQsDad Level 1

So yet again I had to uninstall everything Adobe, run Clean script and re install everything including plugins and so on. So two working days out the window. 
                              Not sure I like this bug at all.

• 13. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems, but if you sign up for a monthly service, Adobe does not want to have to hire a huge collections department to keep up with monthly billing.

If the charges on that card are annoying, I suggest that you get a new card just for monthly charges. I have one. I use it for my cell phone, my cable bill, and the Creative Cloud, among others. The bills are within a few cents of nominal every month. I just reserve the correct amount of money every month to pay that bill.

I don't consider lack of payment for a service a bug. If it causes another bug to be brought up, then that is a shame, but certainly not something you can fairly complain about.

• 14. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                  SirQsDad Level 1

First. It is not the lack of payment issue I complain about. It is the fact that when payment is not made I get "punished" by having to reinstall the whole cloud. Why isnt the restrictions alone enough? Since it goes back to trail why isnt that enough? If I cant have money on my card when it's time for the monthly payment, I should face limitations for that. That I do. But lets put this in a example. I'm away on a film job out in the field. It gets extended by a week and when I get back home the schedule for editing is down a week due to the extra filming. And since it was hectic out in the field I forgot/no time to make sure there was enough with money on the card for the subscribtion. So when I get home and have set aside time for editing around the clock I have to start with the payment issue. That is taken care of in a few seconds. But then the annoying part is starting. Uninstalling everything, downloading, installing, updating, installing plugins, updating. 100 reboots....  That is extremely annoying. A lot of inspiration for the editing project and a lot of time is lost. And for what reason?

Second. Who is going to pay the extra credit card I have to have if following your suggestion? Adobe? Probably not. You? Probably not. Meaning that the fee for the cloud went up a little for me. I understand the benefits for that function but in my case it would only be good for the cloud subscription. And that alone is not a good solution for this issue.

Third. Well I still think this is a bug, unless Adobe have this function implemented to punish people who doesnt pay on time. Then naturally it is not a bug. Maybe Adobe can answer if this is a function that they like or if this is a bug?

Fourth. If I should get punished why not having a re activation fee instead? I would gladly pay a few bucks to get the software funcioning directly after I pay my subscribtion. That would benefit both me and Adobe. Why sabotage my work? Who is gaining from that?

Fifth. I have no proof for this. But I also do not want to try it again next month. The time to un-install and re-install is to expencive right now. If I'm wrong I will crawl to the altar and say I'm sorry. But It would also be nice if Adobe did the same if they are wrong.

• 15. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

when payment is not made I get "punished" by having to reinstall the whole cloud.

Why?  All I had to do was make the payment and reactivate.

• 16. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I guess maybe because I have had a reasonable credit limit on my credit cards since the early 1990s, I don't really grok the concept of "have money on my card": I assume you mean "available credit limit" unless you use debit cards.

I just figured that if someone can afford the $30 per month, then they could have the credit card payment deducted from their checking account. Write in the checkbook like they write their rent or mortgage check. If they can't afford it, then why would they buy it?

It sounds more like you are against it in principle. So again I ask, why would you sign up for something you apparently do not want to pay for, whether you can afford to or not. If it really is a matter of having available limit on the ard, perhaps you should just ask for a higher limit.

Look, I am a hobbyist. I doubt that most hobbyists who can afford a decent camera and expensive computers, really have a problem paying $30 per month. Now, the financial decision may indicate buying rather than renting, so to speak, but either way, we can afford it.

If you are a professional and you can't afford it, I suggest a day job until your video work can support you. Shovel manure (I have), load boxcars (I have) or any number of other occupations that allow you time in the evening to nurse sore muscles and edit video.

If it were up to me, and someone didn't pay, and they had used the trial version for 30 days already,  I would warn them for about three days. One warning per day. Then cut it off. Done. Pay to play. I might be inclined to give someone a discount if they had paid for a long time and wanted to buy the product to avoid the monthly charge. So you probably should be glad that it is not up to me.

Having said that, I certainly would want them to be able to start right where they left off as soon as the check cleared. Reinstalling seems unnecessary.

• 17. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                        SirQsDad Level 1

Well Steven. I do not live in USA and our credit card functions are different from yours. And checks we stop used in the -90's

And yes I’m against the principle that I have to set aside a working day or two to get something I paid for to work. It should work the moment I fulfill the payment as it says.

This have nothing to do with me being a hobo or having a billion on my bank account. And I don’t see your point of saying “not want to pay”?? I do pay every month. I dont argue of that being hard to do or expencive. I think the Cloud is one of the best things Adobe ever have released. This is an issue of not having the possibility to pay in a way I thought was ok as stated in the agreement. I want to pay and I do pay.

This issue is about why the software is not functioning as wanted AFTER I pay. If the payment is one hour late, why should I have to lose one or two working days for that?
                                        It is over 40 years ago we walked on the moon. Why can’t the software function after I get the receipt from Adobe?

• 18. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                          SirQsDad Level 1

Do you use *mts files? Everything but those is ok. But to get those to work I have to do this annoying thing.

• 19. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Do you use *mts files?

Almost exclusively these days.

• 20. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                              TheDailyNote

I'm having the exact same problems with .aac files.  Here is what happened:

BofA changed my credit card number, and I forgot to update it on my Adobe CC account.  They sent me an email saying payment failed, and within the hour, I updated my account number, and a few hours later my Adobe CC subscription was charged.  The charge was made on the same day of the month as usual, and I was never late on my payment.

But somehow, my Premiere Pro CC 2014 suddenly has stopped letting me import files with various codecs (same files I use every time).  I've reinstalled Premiere Pro CC 2014.  I've signed out and signed back in.  I've emailed Adobe, and it's been a week.  My emails are completely being ignored.

Do you not appreciate me as a paying customer?

• 21. Re: Suddenly non supported file format
                                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start a new thread this one is 2 years old and its about CS6.