3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 12:36 PM by johnny i

PsCS6/Lr4 Hardware Performance Question

johnny i

Hi,

I just built a new desktop specifically for Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4.1 performance.

My build consists of:

CPU: intel i7-3770

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3 1333

Graphics: i7's built-in Intel HD Graphics 4000

Photoshop CS6 64-bit

Lightroom 4.1 64-bit

Both OS and Applications on a Samsung 830 128GB SSD connected to SATA III (6Gb/s)

Files on an external 2TB 7200 connected via eSATA

Using default scratch disk and raw cache location at the moment (the same SSD the app is installed on), but will likely add a dedicated smaller SSD at a later date.

Performance with this build is a vast improvement over what I had previously (dual core intel xeon with 3GB and win Vista 32-bit), but I would like to speed up the processing of things like the blur filter in Photoshop, and the loading of images when cycling through develop module of Lightroom (ie, the Loading Image and rendering)... with more bias towards Lightroom performance as I edit large wedding galleries.

From a hardware perspective, would I recognize more of a performance improvement in these areas (and possibly others) by adding another 16GB RAM (bringing the total to 32GB), or by adding a dedicated graphics card, such as this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418). If your answer is via a graphics card upgrade, I'm also interested in your recommendations; if this one is overkill or not the best choice. I have an additional ~$250 I could add to this build at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

- Isaac