7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 7:43 AM by Steve Grisetti

Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area

FFMZ

Hi,

I frequently use the timeline option to limit the area that will be rendered. Usually I take the ends of the selection area and drag them to the position I find useful at the time.

Every now and then, when I start dragging, the area end seems to split up into a light grey area, and an accolade.

PRE9 time line example.png

For me it is unclear what this split-up means and when it will happen. I don't know what the name of the feature is, and how to turn it off.

Can someone fill me in here?

Thanks, FFMZ

• 1. Re: Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I see the light gray Work Area Bar area -- but what's the "accolade"?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area
            FFMZ Level 1

Thanks for reacting so quickly.

An “accolade” looks like this: {

I guess I could have better described it as a “curly brace” (English is not my native language).

In the picture that I posted, this brace is at the beginning of the light gray work bar area, partly hidden behing the menu marker. There’s another of these braces (in the other direction) at the end of the light gray work bar area.

You can drag these braces to resize the light gray area, similar to dragging the ends of the rendering area. I suppose the light gray area has a meaning, but I have never discovered what it does. If I ignore it, I can still render (or Frameserve) parts of the timeline.

I hope you can figure out what it does... Thanks again,

FrancFMZ

• 3. Re: Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that the Timeline's In & Out Points have also been set. That is different than the WAB (Work Area Bar), and has a real use in PrPro, when one is doing 3-Point Editing with the Trim Monitor, that does not exist in PrE.

It can be accidently set, should one hit the I key (Timeline In Point), or the O key (Timeline Out Point), while the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playhead) is on other TimeCode, besides 00;00;00;00. In PrE, there is really no use in setting the Timeline's In and/or Out Point.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area
                FFMZ Level 1

Thanks for your reply. If parts of PrE are actually derived from PrPro, I can imagine that parts of the extended functionality slip into the lighter version of the software.

You draw a precondition in which this situation can be accidentally triggered. I can tell you that I did not cause this precondition on purpose.

I tried to get this situation on purpose by opening a new project, drawing some footage onto the timeline, play it back for a couple of seconds so that the CTI shows a non-zero value, then pressed the I and O buttons a couple of times. Then I reduced the rendering area by dragging the usual ends of the WAB closer to each other. This did not cause any light grey areas or curly braces to appear on my screen.

Trying to get rid of this light gray area and the curly braces in the project that I took the screendump I posted from did not work either. I closed the project, closed PrE as well, then opened the project again. The curly braces and the light grey area were still there.

I don't care too much to know how to get these timeline in- and out points into my PrE projects (as they appear not to be functional anyway), but I would like a way to get rid of them. Obviously, restarting PrE and reopening the project is not the way to do this.

Does any of you have an idea?

Thanks for your effort.

• 5. Re: Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area

Have you tried Bill's suggestion?

• 6. Re: Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area
                    FFMZ Level 1

Hi Steve,

I've read Bill's message. In my interpretation, he suggests that the behavior of my PrE is a feature that may be derived/slipped in from PrPro functionality, but has no function in the Elements version. Bill also explains how the state of the time line that I see in my project might be triggered accidentally. I'm not sure if my interpretation is right: in my view he describes a situation where the CTI is unequal to 0, and where the user presses the I or O buttons to set timeline in- and outpoints. I don't know how to do that in my PrE9, my interpretation did not work.

By the way, I would be happier to know how to clear that situation in a project that is -in my view- contaminated with some setting or feature that cannot be used anyway.

I didn't really notice any suggestion in Bill's message of how to clear the Timeline's In & Out Points. Did I miss it?

FrancFMZ

• 7. Re: Pre9: unexpected timeline behavior when setting rendering area

As Bill suggests press "the I key (Timeline In Point), or the O key (Timeline Out Point), while the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playhead) is on other TimeCode, besides 00;00;00;00." This should fix your timeline.