4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2012 1:18 PM by peter minneapolis

Problem with footnote numbering when importing from Word

Muimu

Hey there. I really need some URGENT help with this, so hope someone will be able to check in.

I'm having trouble importing footnotes from a docx file to InDesign. I'm working on CS5, on OS X 10.6.8, in case that matters anything.

Below is a screenshot of what's happening (nevermind the crazy language or content, look at the numbers). InDesign adds number "1" in the beginning of every footnote. As a result, as footnote reference "1" in the text will become footnote "11" in the footnotes etc.

Needless to say, a major problem!

Should I have formatted footnotes somehow differently in Word? I haven't changed any footnote settings there besides formatted the "footnote reference" and "footnote text" paragraph styles. I tried looking at InDesign's footnote options but can't find anything that would help with this. Also tried changing the footnote numbering to letters instead, but then the result is "a" in text, "1a" in the footnotes. Argh!

All help is appreaciated!!

Näyttökuva 2012-08-26 kohteessa 17.42.34.png

Edit: Also looked at the text in Story Editor, and there the footnote references seem fine:

Näyttökuva 2012-08-26 kohteessa 17.51.28.png

Any suggestions?

Message was edited by: Muimu (added the other picture)

• 1. Re: Problem with footnote numbering when importing from Word
          Muimu Level 1

Here's something else, that may or may not be relevant. Apparantly during the import of the word file the footnote references that are with the footnotes in the bottom of the page are transformed into the character style footnote text. This might be messing with InDesing, so that it then tries to add its own footnote reference in front of it?

Can't figure out a way to change this, as in Word the footnote references are fine and have the right character style. If only the extra footnote reference number just was editable but I cannot do anything to it, delete of change color or anything. Maddening.

It's probably something very stupid that I'm just not seeing. Just wish someone could point it out to me.

• 2. Re: Problem with footnote numbering when importing from Word
            Muimu Level 1

In lack of a better option, I guess I will Convert Footnote Text Numbering To Text —> and then delete the first number "1" on every 200 footnotes while I pass them. This is going to be a fun evening.

If anyone finds a solution, I'll be still interested to hear it.

• 3. Re: Problem with footnote numbering when importing from Word
              claudius X Level 1

Hi,

if resetting InD preferences doesn't help, it is usually some Word "broken" footnote. Try to:

1. delete first "wrong" footnote in your layout and see if this corrects the rest of the numbering; if it works insert first footnote with keyboard into InD layout back again.

2. you may try to delete first "strange" footnote in Word then re-save file under new name (you may also re-save it as .doc or .rtf) and try to import it into new InD layout to see if this works.

I have seen no rules in footnote numbering mistakes and there are many things that can go wrong... Only way is to correct text (or Word file) to find "mistake".

Claudius

• 4. Re: Problem with footnote numbering when importing from Word
                peter minneapolis Level 4

I have a faint memory of reading that when docx files give problems when placing into InDesign, sometimes exporting them from Word as RTF and placing the RTF file works correctly, or at least more correctly (AKA fewer and/or easier-to-fix problems.) Consider giving it a try.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Muimu wrote:

Hey there. I really need some URGENT help with this, so hope someone will be able to check in.

I'm having trouble importing footnotes from a docx file to InDesign. I'm working on CS5, on OS X 10.6.8, in case that matters anything.

Below is a screenshot of what's happening (nevermind the crazy language or content, look at the numbers). InDesign adds number "1" in the beginning of every footnote. As a result, as footnote reference "1" in the text will become footnote "11" in the footnotes etc.

Needless to say, a major problem!

Should I have formatted footnotes somehow differently in Word? I haven't changed any footnote settings there besides formatted the "footnote reference" and "footnote text" paragraph styles. I tried looking at InDesign's footnote options but can't find anything that would help with this. Also tried changing the footnote numbering to letters instead, but then the result is "a" in text, "1a" in the footnotes. Argh!

All help is appreaciated!!

Näyttökuva 2012-08-26 kohteessa 17.42.34.png

Edit: Also looked at the text in Story Editor, and there the footnote references seem fine:

Näyttökuva 2012-08-26 kohteessa 17.51.28.png

Any suggestions?

Message was edited by: Muimu (added the other picture)