I just did the chat support option and asked the rep to reset ADE device authorisations, and he was able to in just a few seconds.
If anyone is still following this chain, thought I would give my final results. After more than 5 weeks, 1 chat, 5 web cases, 11 web case postings, more than 8 hours of effort, I am officially giving up and admitting defeat. I am no closer to resolving the issue than back in August. Adobe will not reset my count; they keep trying to debug things asking the same questions; I've spent way too much time on this. I've asked to have the case escalated but nothing happened. They say that since ADE authorizes ok, it isn't Adobe's problem regarding Overdrive or eReaders not authorizing.
One thing that probably aggravated my case is that my Adobe ID is based on my name not an email address; I got this ID several years ago before it was required that they be email addresses. Adobe says that there were 3 separate records in their database for me; they combined them under my email address, but it didn't change anything from my end.
So, I have gotten a new Adobe ID. My books purchased with the old ID are un-readable. If I have to purchase DRM eBooks in the future, I will probably try to use Barnes & Noble since their DRM is easier.
Good luck to everyone.
That is terrible I am so sorry for that, was really hoping it was
rectified for you.
Will admit that this whole experience, and yours, has affected how many
ebooks I buy and I have gone back to buying physical ones and just download
the free ones.