6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2012 5:17 PM by Noel Carboni

How to delete downloaded atn action

EggCream37

I downloaded an atn action from the web and now cannot get rid of in photoshop.

I looked for it in finder and can't find it. Do I need to uninstall then reinstall photoshop to get rid of it?

• 1. Re: How to delete downloaded atn action
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

• 2. Re: How to delete downloaded atn action
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Searching for *.ATN (or whatever the wildcard character is, if you are on a Mac), should locate all of the Action files.

If you cannot find the one that you require by name (some have rather odd naming conventions), then you might need to invoke the "rule of halves," and Move half of your Actions to another folder, and maybe even on another HDD, then test. If it's still there, Move another half, and test. I would Move to separate folders, so it will be easier to Move the "good ones" back. If necessary, repeat the process, until it's gone, and then narrow down things a bit, by Moving the Actions back, in very small batches.

Also, you should be able to go to that Web site, and find the name of the downloaded file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to delete downloaded atn action
              conroy Level 5

How did you look in Finder? If you did a Finder search, then by default that doesn't list files/folders in your user Library folder, which is a likely place for the .atn file to lurk because the recommended folder for adding Actions is in there. You can include that Library in the search as shown below.

Screen shot 2012-08-26 at 20.43.36.png

In case you don't realize, an Action can only be saved in an Action Set - an .atn file - which typically contains several Actions.

• 4. Re: How to delete downloaded atn action
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm thinking EggCream wants to remove it from the Actions panel.  That's fairly simple:

• Make the Actions panel visible.
                • Make sure you're not in Button Mode (using the fly-out menu available by clicking the little icon at the upper-right of the panel).
                • Click once on the name of the action you want to delete to highlight it (or the actions set name if you want to remove all the actions in the set).
                • Click the little trashcan icon at the bottom-right in the panel and confirm the deletion.

-Noel

• 5. Re: How to delete downloaded atn action
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Noel,

You could well be correct there, and if so, it is as easy as you note.

I sort of went for the "nuclear option," and assumed that the OP wanted to get rid of it completely from the system. Not that much harder, when you find it, but still different.

Thanks for throwing out an easy solution.

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to delete downloaded atn action
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Yes, but just to be clear to Egg et. al., the actions are loaded into an internal database in Photoshop.  An actions set can exist in Photoshop without there being any .atn file on the disk anywhere.

Given that, deleting the file and deleting the actions set from the Actions panel are really two different things.

-Noel