18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2017 4:09 PM by Uselessstuff

Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop

michaelws

I just got Touch  for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 yesterday.  I needed a blending/smudging capability and saw that the toolset for Touch had both blur and smudge.  So I got it.  Blur seems to work fine...but smudge only seemed to darken my colors and formed a wierd edge, hard edge betwee the colors.  Not at all like in the regular Photoshop...I have CS6.

I am thinking of returning the Tab 2 and getting the Note instead which has pressure sensitivity (or so I have heard)...but if there is no decent paint program out that will allow for halfway decent blending then I will simply return the Tab and wait a bit longer for the paint programs to evolve in this new format.

Has anyone else noticed this effect with smudge?  Is there a setting that will make it work like it's full fledged cousin?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
          greule Adobe Employee

Hi. Could you please post a screenshot of the result you're seeing.

Thanks,

Guido

• 2. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
            Jacksmyname1 Level 1

Smudge tool is working fine here.

I'm using PS Touch on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, running ICS.

• 3. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
              michaelws Level 1

Thanks for the replies.  I have played with the settings for the brush (smudge) but still cannot get it to perform without darkening the colors.  When I have a large size brush and 100% flow it appears to be better...but if you look closely the color is still darkened...but not as noticeable as my sample.

Could you let me know your settings Jack?

Also does anyone know if there is an advantage of using the Samsung Note 10.1 with the pressure sensitivity?  Can one tweak brushes to use the pressure for tapering or for opacity, etc?

Thanks again.  Sorry it took me a day to get back with this sample.

shot_01.jpgshot_02.jpg

• 4. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                Jacksmyname1 Level 1

Hi Michal.

I tried the smudge tool the way your screenshot shows; blank canvas and the same two colors.

Yep, same thing here. I tried several different settings with brush size and strength. But I don't get that behaviour when working with a photograph.

With a photo, the smudge tool works fine. In the back of my mind, I have an idea of what's occuring in your example which I can duplicate here, but I'm having trouble putting words to it (the drawbacks of a 63 year old brain lol).

Anyway, I don't see it as a problem unless your example is what you want to do with the tool.

As for the Note 10.1, I haven't as yet tried one, but I've seen several videos demonstrating it.

It looks like a killer tablet, and is in my sights. My Galaxy Tab 10.1 is terrific. With the recent upgrade to the ICS operating system, and a third party launcher (Nova), it's hard to imagine getting better, but the Note looks like it is. I would think Photoshop Touch runs like a rocket on the Note. Tweaking with the pressure sensitivity of the stylus might do all kinds of nice adjustments, but again, I haven't tried one yet. You've got a great combo with PS Touch on a Galaxy Note 10.1.

Hope I've helped a bit.

• 5. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                  michaelws Level 1

Thanks for the fast reply.  Maybe if a picture were painted in something like sketchbook pro then opened in touch it might treat it like a photograph.

63 sounds young...being a 64 year old myself.  Just kidding...tho I am 64.

I am looking to buy a used ASUS EP 121 right now...if the guy selling  gets back to me.  It is used but at a good price...and it is windows 7 based  with an i5 processor.  I use mostly Corel Painter 12 and PS CS 6 right now...and primarily for sketching out future paintings (oil/acrylic) as I am an easel painter by profession.  I got my TAB 2 at Costco and asked them if it was kosher to purchase it to try out.  They claimed that was fine and that it did not have to be malfuctioning to return it.

If I get the note with 64 gb then I am at 550.  This little EP 121 is just above that and it has 4gb memory and 128 gb ssd and a keyboard and and extra 3-button stylus...so it looks like I will go in that direction if the sale goes through.

I will miss the cheap physics based games that the android market has that the pc does not...strange.  LIke Apparatus and a couple of others.  But those are progs I don't think are worth holding on to the tablet and I could use the 350 refund towards the 121.

Thanks again for investing your time in helping me answer this quirk with the smudge tool.

• 6. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                    Jacksmyname1 Level 1

Hi Michael.

I just re-read your OP, and see that you have the Galaxy 2, 10.1, not the Galaxy Note.

Tough gettin' old.

Anyway, glad to help.

• 7. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                      Ian Wylie

I'm also having problems with the smudge/blur brush. My tablet (Samsung Note 10.1) was bought so I could do my work on the fly using a touch sensitive stylus with Photoshop. However the smudge brush simply isn't working as it should and this all but renders PS redundant in my portable work flow as I use this particular brush a lot.

Like the original poster my smudge brush seems to be simultaneously burning/darkening. The harder I lean the more the image underneath darkens. Likewise if I lift the pen off between strokes each successive stroke darkens. Do it a sufficient amount of times and I end up with black even if I'm blending along the edge of 2 pale hues! I'm a very experienced Photoshop user so I'm fairly confident that the fault lies not with my brush settings but rather seems to be an unwanted side effect of the brush.

As the Note tablet is a new device I'm guessing that there will be more complaints about this popping up as and when the Note becomes more popular as a creative tool. Meantime I find myself unable to do the work I bought the tablet for in the first place.

Any ideas what software I can use to work around this? I need something which will allow me to work in layers with a smudge tool enabling me to - for example -  smudge and blend cross hatched lines to create a highly finished tonal surface. Ordinarily I would use PS for this! The ability to import this precisely smudged image into PS Touch for further editing would be a large bonus.

• 8. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                        Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Out of curiosity, I tried to repro:

Screenshot_2012-10-23-15-01-00.png

Screenshot_2012-10-23-15-02-44.png

The smudge brush was around 50 wide (opacity and flow at 100); 75 strength. It did push the pixels around and blend them but I can't seem to repro the "burning". effect.

Using a Motorola Xoom (Wi-Fi model) running Jelly Bean 4.1.2. (Not rooted.)

• 9. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                          Ian Wylie Level 1

But you have reproduced the burn tool/ smudge effect.

Here is my simulation in Photoshop CS6 using a properly functioning smudge brush below the dotted line:

touchexample.png

Everything is as it should be with no darkened pixels. Above the dotted line I have used a combination of the burn brush followed by the smudge tool to simulate the effect you have achieved. I'd say your image bears more in common with the top half result than it does with the bottom which confirms that the smudge brush isn't working properly.

• 10. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                            michaelws Level 1

Thanks for the follow up.  I was using the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and getting those same results.  Hopefully if wee keep this thread open with others having the same problem...Adobe will hopefull address it.

It is a major, I rpeat, MAJOR, tool in my work flow.  Without this functionality I do not use Touch at all...and Touch was the only reason I purchased a tablet to begin with.

Let us cross our fingers.

• 11. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                              Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Ian Wylie wrote:

But you have reproduced the burn tool/ smudge effect.

Here is my simulation in Photoshop CS6 using a properly functioning smudge brush below the dotted line:

touchexample.png

Everything is as it should be with no darkened pixels. Above the dotted line I have used a combination of the burn brush followed by the smudge tool to simulate the effect you have achieved. I'd say your image bears more in common with the top half result than it does with the bottom which confirms that the smudge brush isn't working properly.

Yes, I see it now. (I tried this in Photoshop Elements too; I got exactly the result below the dotted line.) It's almost like PS Touch is shoving the same-colored pixels together, intensifying the shade while simply warping it with a different color.

• 12. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                                Ian Wylie Level 1

As I said in my original post this fault basically makes Photoshop on my tablet useless as I use this brush more than any other. I need another app.

• 13. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                                  Biliogadafr Level 1

Hello. I have the same problems on my note 10.1. But the problem with smudge tool is just the most noticable from a bunch of similar problems with other tools. For example blur tool also change colors. What is even more strange simple brush tool also change  colors when it have the same color as background and when opacity is low (10% for exmple).

Here is my example. I have  used only one color to draw it. Only one color!

Untitled3.png

1 - blur

2 - smudge

3 - brush with the same color and low opacity.

One more interesting thing is that in Play market you can find photoshop touch v1.3.0 ... but stock version that comes with the tablet still have v 1.2.0. Will it have an update somewhen?

P.S. Sorry for my English

• 14. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                                    Ian Wylie Level 1

Yes I was going to mention that the Blur brush was broken too. Thanks for enlightening us about the other problems. It seems that Photoshop Touch is not fit for purpose, at least when it comes to compatibility with the Samsung Note 10.1. Adobe's quality control seems to be wanting somewhat.

• 15. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                                      ibarrien Adobe Employee

Hi Ian,

I would say that it's more a tablet hardware issue and a rather common one.

I.e. it does not apply to a specific device or manufacturer.

There's a limitation handling transparent pixels due to performance reasons.

We are aware of the problem and are working on trying to find a solution.

Thanks,

Ignacio

• 16. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                                        michaelws Level 1

Thanks Ignacio,

Nice to know our voices have been heard and that you are looking into the issue.  Good luck in hopefully finding a solution.  Would be great to use this tablet to work out sketches for paintings as it has so much more portability and battery life.  Mine again s the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

• 18. Re: Smudge brush not working like in regular Photoshop
                                          Uselessstuff

Has there been any resolution to this? 5 years later and I am experiencing this same (burn/multiply while smudging) issue!