2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 4:17 AM by Octopodes

    Section numbering and TOC's

    Octopodes

      I have been asked to convert a document into an interactive pdf (TOC clickable, hyperlinks etc).

       

      They have formatted the document completely by hand, no styles or anything. My issue is that they haven't used page numbers but section numbering. So their page numbers are:

       

      1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 3.1 etc.

       

      I have sorted automatic page numbering by making each section a proper section and re-starting the page numbering to 1 in each section. On a master page I have, in the bottom right hand corner, a text box that holds <Section Marker>.<Current Page Number>.

       

      I called the sections 1, 2, 3 etc with no prefix.

       

      This gives me 1.1, 1.2 etc throughout the the document. Trouble is, when I come to generate the TOC, I get the correct page number within the section, but no section number in front of the page number.

       

      How do I get:

       

      Resins          1.1

      Appliqué       1.2

      Enamel         1.3

       

      Fonts            2.1

      Colour          2.2

       

      In the TOC's and not:

       

      Resins          1

      Appliqué       2

      Enamel         3

       

      Fonts           1

      Colour          2

       

      I have to do this in CS3 as this is what the company are using. Any help would be most appreciated.

       

      Many thanks in advance.

        • 1. Re: Section numbering and TOC's
          Lisa_Donohoe

          Have you tried going to your Numbering and Section options, putting in a Section Prefix (e.g. 1.), then ticking Include Prefix when Numbering Pages.

           

          Seems to work for both auto page numbering and TOC...

          • 2. Re: Section numbering and TOC's
            Octopodes Level 1

            Ahhh, thank you Lisa.

             

            I was putting a prefix AND naming the section. So on the page I got <prefix>.<section name>.<page number>.

             

            So after reading your reply I just took the section name out. So the section has a prefix of 1., 2. etc but no section name and on the master page I have <Section Marker><Page Number> and it all seems to be working ok.

             

            Thank you for your help.