Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Esc key to exit .CHM file

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2008 Feb 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

We recently changed a help system over from WinHelp to .CHM. Apparently, when the help was WinHelp, users could invoke the help using F1 and close it using Esc. Now, with .CHM, the users can only close the file using the "X" in the window. Apparently, this is a serious concern for our clients, even though I personally don't think clicking the "X" is that big of a deal. Hey, it's a WINDOWS application, so clicking using a mouse is to be expected, right?

Is there any way that I can set it up so that users can use the Esc button to close the .CHM or is it something that is WinHelp only (we actually built it in WinHelp2000)?

Some of these clients are using XP, the others are using Vista. I'm doing more research to determine if the issue is with both client types or not.

Thanks,
Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2008 Feb 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

This is sort of possible, but requires you to add a script like the one below to every topic — so it's best achieved by adding the functions to a global JavaScript (.js) file to which all the topics are linked.

I say "sort of" because the script does not work when the navigation pane of the help window has the focus. The topic pane must have the focus for the script to become effective.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2008 Feb 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Pete!

I got all excited for a minute (hey, there's a solution!), but then I remembered that the help was built (and is still maintained) with RoboHelp for Word (sorry, forgot to mention that), so I think we're SOL. I think it would be too painful and time consuming messing around with the html topic files post-build.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

I don't suppose it's even worth considering switching to RoboHelp HTML?

I mean, if you are creating HTML based output, why not use the tool designed for it.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

Trust me, we've considered it on several occasions (converting to RHTML), but management balked when we showed them the time estimates. It's a huge project, actually 2 projects, 534 Word documents and 2800 topics per project, and we've already converted it once from TXT files disguised as HLP files into "real" compiled HLP file (we inherited some very old files). The amount of development hours required to "re-link" everything into the app would also be substantial, since Development is using some a database and an XML file to make everything work. I'm supposed to find a help format that allows clients to use Esc to close the help window, but I don't think we can even do that in WebHelp (through RHTML). So, I think I'll go back to the team and tell the clients to deal with the fact that they need to use their mouse to click on the "X".

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Jim

Yeah, given those facts I'd say you are already following the best approach. I totally agree with your initial assessment of just advising them to get over it and click the X. Just advise that it's a feature that doesn't exist in the brave new worl of the .CHM. LOL

Happy Thursday... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp