8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2012 6:01 PM by baldric75

huge problems with rendering the timeline

baldric75

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here in the forum. Hopefully you can help me.

I'm using Premiere Pro CS6, and I'm having huge problems rendering the timeline. Almost every time I have to do this, premiere freezes/crashes on me. The workaround I've found is to just render small portions at a time, but this is really time consuming, and even that does not help sometimes. Is this a common problem? Does someone know how to fix this?

My project has 2k mixed media on a 24 fps timeline. I also have some framing/split screen elements with alpha channels that is supposed to go on top of the footage.

I know that premiere is supposed to be able to work with different file formats natively, but are there some formats that it reads and processes much better than others? avi,quicktime?

My system is windows 7, 12 GB RAM, nvidia quadro 1800 (so that is probably too week to be used in the mercury engine, but normal software rendering should still work).

This is really frustrating me, so I hope that some of you out there would be so kind to help me out. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

• 1. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I recently had a similar issue, the export or render would consistently fail.

I traced it back to a specific parameter of a specific effect.  I disabled that parameter and everything worked fine.

• 2. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
            baldric75 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Jim Simon,

do you remember what that parameter was?

With me, it seems to be a combination of things. Sometimes I think it is because I have jpg sequences on my timeline (proxies for my exr sequences), whereas other times it seems to fail because I have a frame with rounded corners that goes on top of everything. Other times again there seems to be very spesific frames that fail every single time. But it changes overall, so I can't really predict what is going to cause me pain the next time.

This brought me to the idea that I should perhaps render out all my footage to a format/codec that works really well with premiere, but I don't know what that would be, since I am relatively new to the program. Anyone got an idea?

Thanks,

Doug

• 3. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It was the Dust and Splotches parameters of the Magic Bullet Misfire plug-in.

• 4. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

Welcome to the forums.

One other thing, that probably needs to be ruled out early, is how much free space do you have on the HDD, where your Render files are located, and also what is the format of that HDD, such as FAT-32, NTSF, or other? If you can Render parts of the Timeline, but not the entire Timeline, those could come into play. If you have the HDD formatted to NTSF (or to a Mac format), and plenty of free space, then those can be ruled out, as possible causes for the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
                  daxmak86 Level 1

I am also having trouble getting premiere pro to render and thus I can not expert media.  Any suggestions would help.

• 6. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us a bit more information, please?

The Source Footage, the Sequence Preset, your system, including the I/O sub-system, and also your Export settings, might tell the story.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
                      baldric75 Level 1

Thanks for your answers guys.

As for the HDD; I currently have 282 GB free space on the disk that my project is on. I thought that should be enough. The project is a short film, so I'm not dealing with endless hours of footage. The HDD format is NTSF 7200 rpm. I know that this is not the fastest thing in the world, but I don't think I should need a raid for something like this.

What about frame rates? The timeline needs to be 24fps since the project will be on dcp in the end. But, I have a lot of footage that was shot on a Canon 60D, with 23.976 fps. And then I have other things rendered out of Nuke as image sequences with 24 fps. Could this cause problems like mine?

Thanks,

Doug

• 8. Re: huge problems with rendering the timeline
                        baldric75 Level 1

Hello again,

actually I'm still having big problems with rendering on the timeline. It seems I'm slowly running out of options...

What I've noticed is that, although it is a general problem, there seems to be particular problems with one type of footage that I use througout. It is a sort of image burst sequence, were each frame is a separate image, completely different from the frame before and after.

Could this somehow cause problems?

It also often fails on shots that have a frame on top (a black frame with rounded corners, and a divider line for split-screens). The frame is a tif file with transparency. Can this be an issues some times?

So far I've used a combination of jpg-sequences, avi, mov (photojpg and animation), but no matter what kind of material I'm working with, its having problems.

Comments are welcomed and appreciated,

Doug