18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 7:52 AM by the_wine_snob

.mod files

rode40 Level 1

Help! My current project shows all the movie clips as .mod format. Not sure why this is.  Can I convert to.avi. or .mpeg?  Screenshot attached.

rode40PREMIER ELEMENTS MOD FILES Greenshot_2012-08-23_16-42-32.png

• 1. Re: .mod files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where did you get those files... what brand/model camera?

Read Hunt on Using MOD/TOD files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990

• 2. Re: .mod files
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are these MOD files on a disc or device that you've since removed or disconnected from your computer?

You need to use the Video Importer to download the files to your computer or, once you removed the device or disc, you'll lose the connection to the files.

• 3. Re: .mod files
              rode40 Level 1

Hi John/Steve

I didn't give you the full story unfortunately.  Firstly, the .mod file format is how they come from my camcorder (Panasonic SDR-S15) to my computer (See. screenshot).  The project attached is, I think, my very first attempt with PrEl 7.0 (i've now got v10) when I didn't have any kind of manual so I was working "on the fly" as it were and not doing a very good job.  I now have Steve's excellent book to guide me.

Anyway, coming back to my initial message I was searching my computer for video files of my son's wedding to start putting a new project together and came across this early project by "accident".  I didn't realise it existed.

The reasaon I asked if the files in this project could be converted to .avi or .mpeg is that I committed the cardinal sin of not having them backed up and unfortunately they were deleted in some way during the replacement of a hard drive. (i do now back up all my files to two other drives having learned a very valuable lesson). I deleted them from my SD card also once I had downloaded them to my PC. So, no files no project.  I think all the .mod files in my initial project are the ones I want and hoped that there was a way to SD_VIDEO CLIPS Greenshot_2012-08-29_12-28-31.pngexport them back to My Videos folder so that I could then convert them to .avi but I am going to guess that this will not be possible.

I am going to try a recovery programme (Piriform Recuva) on the SD card so fingers crossed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rgds

Royston Harris

• 4. Re: .mod files

As you can see, Royston, these files are on a removable disc -- as I'd suspected -- and the reason the program shows them as unlinked is because the device was either removed or was assigned a different drive letter by Windows.

Try this: First copy these files to a folder on your C drive.

Close your Premiere Elements project. When you re-open it, a pop-up screen will ask you to locate the files. Browse to this folder. When you connect one file, Premiere Elements will "see" the others and automatically link to them.

You should not need to convert these files to AVI. As I show you in my book, if your project is set up using the Hard Disk Camcorder project settings, they should work perfectly as is.

• 5. Re: .mod files
                  rode40 Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for very quick reply.  I will try your suggestion and let you know how I get on but may be several days before I can get back to you.  Various hospital appointments are tying up much of my time at the moment.

One point for clarification.  When you say copy the files I am assuming you mean from Premier Elements.  Incidentally, subsequent to my last postage I have discovered that I queried .mod files back in April though not how to recover them from a project.  Apologies for part duplicating my problem.  My brains getting on a bit now so don’t always remember everything.

Rgds

Royston Harris

• 6. Re: .mod files

You need to copy the files from your external hard drive or your camcorder to your internal hard drive, Royston. Your video files need to be on your computer's hard drive in order for you to use them in a project.

• 7. Re: .mod files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Royston,

Unfortunately, the Media files are not stored in the PREL (Project) file. They are only linked, in it, to where they were, when you Imported them. The dialog, that Steve referred to, is covered in this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/990503?tstart=0

In it, there is a link to another article, that goes into more detail on PREL files, and what they contain, plus how linking works.

If the SD card has not been overwritten, a recovery program might be successful in getting them back. For HDD's, I have used both Stellar-Phoenix and Recover My Files. Both are commercial programs, with the Stellar-Phoenix suite being rather expensive. The second utility was ~ US $40, IIRC. For cards, SanDisk has a file recovery utility, on its Web site, and it is free, I believe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: .mod files
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also read Bill Hunt on project setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0

• 9. Re: .mod files
                          rode40 Level 1

Hi again guys

Found a part completed copy of my project on my PC in libraries but when I try to open it, it says "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed" .

Where do I go from here?

Screenshot below.

KATE AND CHRIS WEDDING FINAL VERSION Greenshot_2012-08-23_17-13-23.png

• 10. Re: .mod files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, run one of those files through MediaInfo, or G-Spot, and find out what the CODEC is. Perhaps it was installed at one time on my computer, but is no longer there. Either of those two utilities should be able to tell you about the Media files, and whether you have the proper and necessary CODEC installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: .mod files

It also looks as though that is a Premiere Elements project file and you are trying to import it as a media file into your project.

Project files (.prel) are OPENED by Premiere Elements by selecting the option under the File menu.

Media files are IMPORTED into Premiere Elements using the Get Media tools.

Have you worked through our basic training tutorials yet? They help build more of a foundation for you and help keep you from having some of the really fundamental problems. (So would my book, but I'm not going to be so presumptious as to recommend it.)

• 12. Re: .mod files
                                rode40 Level 1

Bill

Looked at my .avi files with GSpot (see screenshot below). No codec information showing. Downloade various codecs but none have solved the problem.  Any idea which codec I should install?

Steve

Haven't had time yet to look at the other issue (PrEl project file won't load) but will do so in due course.  I do now have your excellent book but didn't get it until after I had started my project so created problems for myself which I am trying to undo with guidance from Bill and yourself.

Apologies for keep coming back on this but afraid you are leading the "blind" at the moment.

Regards

Roy

GSpot Greenshot_2012-08-23_17-13-23.png

• 13. Re: .mod files
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The CODEC is the MS DV/DVC CODEC, which, on a PC, should Import and edit smoothly.

Once, all common MS CODEC's installed with the Windows OS. With certain versions of Vista, that changed. MS eliminated many of them, but then issued a Vista CODEC pack, to put them back. Do not know exactly how things work with Win7, and it might well differ, version to version. IIRC, the big Vista still had them, but the Vista Home OS versions (and maybe others) did not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: .mod files
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I notice that this is a Video Steam only file, and no Audio Stream is showing. Is that what you expect?

Also, you are using a PAL DV-AVI Type II file (but with no Audio), so I assume that you are in PAL-land.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: .mod files
                                      rode40 Level 1

Hi Bill/Hi Steve

Apologies for not replying before. This has been due to health problems.  At the moment I am going round in circles on this and would like if I can, to restart by seperating my main problems into two seperate postings. First and foremost I was hoping there was a simple solution as to why my project displays as follows and can it be converted in some way back to how it should display i.e. little video pictures instead of the red/green icon on white background:-

PREMIER ELEMENTS MOD FILES Greenshot_2012-08-23_16-42-32.png

Steve, I have looked for this in your excellent book but can't find any reference to it, possibly because I don't really know what I am looking for.  So, guys any ideas? Apologies if answers have already been given.  If they have I probably didn't fully understand.

Please bear with me if I start a seperate post regarding the codec issue. I think my "old" brain can handle it better that way.

Regards

Royston Harris

• 16. Re: .mod files

It's as we've said, the project isn't locating your video files. Until you re-link your files to your project, you're going to see this.

This is an old thread -- but re-reading through it, I still can't tell what's going on. Are we chasing several different issues at once?

Have you tried starting a new project and importing those DV-AVI video files that are on your computer's hard drive?

• 17. Re: .mod files
                                          rode40 Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. Yes,we are chasing two issues, (1) no sound when playing my own .avi files, probably due to not having the correct audio codec and (2) why my project displays as shown in my posting above Oct 22nd @ 1:26pm.

I have now detached the codec problem as a separate thread for which I am receiving advice from John Smith.

Specifically in regard to  issue two I think I have been partially successful in recovering some of my original clips but not yet out of the woods as the recovery programme (Piriform Recuva) has recovered them "in bits". For example the original single clip of my sons wedding ceremony has been reinstated as 12 short clips.  I now need to look at whether I can string these together to make one clip and whether this makes up a full recording but the first rquisite is to resolve the audio issue. I think I wiil also try another recovery programme (possibly the San Disk one

Once I have  sorted this and the video clips look useable I am going to restart my project from scratch so will get back to you in due course to update.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your patience and ongoing advice which is much appreciated.

Regards

Royston Harris

• 18. Re: .mod files
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Royston,

If those segmented Clips are complete (each one), then you can Copy them to your computer's HDD (Hard Disk Drive), Import those into your Project, and assemble them on the Timeline. That will essentially get you to where you were with the original, longer Clip (made up of all the "segments"). When you Export/Share that Timeline, you will end up with a single AV File, with all of those segments assembled.

I will take a look at your thread on the Audio, and see how things are going there.

Good luck,

Hunt