8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2012 4:24 AM by WilliamsonSD RSS

Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll

WilliamsonSD

Adobe reader error - Faulty module:  Comctl32.dll

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

Computer is ACER Aspire -4830TG laptop, with 8GB RAM, i5-2430M intel processor.

Not sure when this happened, but am unable to open Adobe Reader 10.  Error indicates the fault module to be Comctl32.dll, specifically,

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_n one_41e6975e2bd6f2b2\Comctl32.dll

Size is 619KB

Reader will initialize, but blank out and freeze as soon as it attempts to do anything, including displaying a menu bar.  I have reinstalled Reader several times and have removed it first.  It appears that the issue is really the Comctl32.dll file.  There are so many versions on my system can't figure out how to tell if it is corrupt. 

Virus scan shows no risks.

Unable to rollback far enough to make a difference.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

• 1. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll
          pwillener CommunityMVP

Adobe reader error - Faulty module:  Comctl32.dll

Is that the exact message you are receiving?

If I look at the comctl32.dll in the same path on my system, it is 1,642KB in size, with a date 2010-11-20 (file version 6.0.7601.17514).

On the other hand I am wondering why it is not using the file in C:\Windows\system32 or C:\Windows\syswow64 ?

Something is odd; I will try and check with Process Monitor if I can pinpoint how it is loading that particular dll.

• 2. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll
            pwillener CommunityMVP

I opened AcroRd32.exe with Process Monitor running, and it is indeed using that comctl32.dll in the path that you mention.

You mentioned that your comctl32.dll in that folder is 619KB in size.  I wonder what its file version is?  I have a comctl32.dll in C:\Windows\system32 that is 619KB; the file version is 5.82.7601.17514 (product version 6.1.7601.17514).  This appears to be the 64-bit dll.

I have another comctl32.dll in C:\Windows\syswow64 with a file size of 518KB.  This must be the 32-bit dll.

I have no idea why you have that 619KB dll in that path, but if that is indeed a 64-bit dll, then I don't think Adobe Reader or any 32-bit application can use it.

Would you like me to send you my 1,642KB comctl32.dll, so you could try to replace it?  (After a backup, of course.)

• 3. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll
              WilliamsonSD Community Member

Hey, Pat,

Sorry for the late response.  Had family visiting and didn't get back to the computer until now.  The event log entry follows:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          8/16/2012 7:31:28 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      June-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: AcroRd32.exe, version: 10.1.3.23,

time stamp: 0x4f7bc349

Faulting module name: Comctl32.dll, version:

6.10.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b71c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000579c9

Faulting process id: 0x1924

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd7baafa878e61

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files

(x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Faulting module path:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_no ne_41e6975e2bd6f2b2\Comctl32.dll

Report Id: 4cedcaaa-e79e-11e1-8f8d-dc0ea104673d

Steve Williamson

• 4. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll

Thanks, Pat.  Yes, if you could send your .dll it would be great.  I will replace the other (after back up of course) and let you know how it goes.  I suspect that this could be related to the problem I'm having with Flash as well, but one thing at a time.

• 5. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll
                  pwillener CommunityMVP

I've sent you the zipped comctl32.dll to your yahoo mail account.

• 6. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll

Pat,

I have the file, but not able to replace it as Windows 7 refuses to let me, even tho I am administrator.  Once I solve that I will try replacing it.  Thanks for your help.  I will let you know if it works once I figure out the latest roadblock.

Steve

• 7. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll
                      pwillener CommunityMVP

Can you rename the original file, then put the replacement file into that folder?

You may need to (temporarily) modify the folder and/or file permissions.

• 8. Re: Adobe reader error - Faulty module: Comctl32.dll

No.  It won't let me rename the file.  But, something strange did occur.  I received an automatic update (not sure what it was) and suddenly everything is working fine.  I was about to try bringing the system up in safe mode and trying to rename the file that way, but wanted to get the message one more time and tried to open a file.  Surprise.  It worked.  As I say, the only thing that I believe happened was an update.  I will go back and try to see what updates occurred, but it was just like nothing had ever been wrong.  Go figure.

Steve