12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 7:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing

SeiGraph

I just bought me Premiere Elements 10 because I got hundreds of GB family videos made by my JVC GR-D325E.

I imported them to my PC with the given Windows utilities months ago and before I bought PE I checked out the editing possibilities with the PPro test version already without any problems regarding the import and usage of the footage. So I decide to buy PE to edit the private family videos with.

Now I got two problems.

A. When I attach my Camcorder to my PC Windows is able to digitize, PE organizer display there is no Camcorder attached while windows can find it. When I open PE than instead of the PE Organizer I can find the Camcorder by right clicking and import footage, how that can happen?

I attached two screenshots to that issue, one showing that Organize won’t find the camcorder, one that shows that PE react differently letting me digitize content from the found camcorder… both screenshots where made the same moment without retouching the camcorder connection.

PE_Organize_NoCamcorderFound.JPG 02_PE_CamcorderFound.JPG

B. The other (bigger) problem is that all the imported footage use standardly the dvsd codec and when I import the footage (not depending to any size problems) into PE via the right click dialog I can import it without any problems or error message but when I want to edit or just play the content the frame stand still and just the sound is playing well. When I make a film from it without taking notice of that behavior the result got the same still-frame effect.

WindowsImportedTest_dvdsCodec.JPG

What is the problem and how can I fix this? There had to be a way otherwise PE would be useless for me.

Please give me a hand to solve that issue in time.

Thank you in advance.

Yours,

Erik

PS: Is in PE the only way of making a film the “Freigeben” option? What for is the out-greyed export option under File?

• 1. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

According to your illustrations, you are trying to capture your video using the Photo Downloader. That won't work.

I believe your camcorder is a miniDV. Is that right?

If so, in Premiere Elements (not the Organizer) and click Get Media and select the option to capture from a DV camcorder.

Your camcorder will also need to be connected to your computer with an IEEE-1394 FireWire cable (not USB).

If you use Premiere Elements to capture this video over a FireWire connection, the video should load perfectly into a project set up for DV video.

If you used another device of software to capture your video or it was captured over a USB connection, this video may not be compatible with Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
            SeiGraph Level 1

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the prompt answer.

That means that Camera is meant only for stills? I ask because the EO menu says Photos and Video, so I thought that Camera means also Camera for Movies.

ElewmentsOrganizer.jpg

Yes, it is a MiniDV. The import from device as described does function.

I do exclusively connect the camera with an IEEE-1394 FireWire, never by USB.

That is the way I captured all the GB of former tapes, too. The resulting files play well in MS Mediaplayer, the ones I created from the captured sources through Premiere Pro test issues also play well in MS Mediaplayer but they got the same effect when I try to use them as footage in PE.

That means even files that are coming from PEs big brother won`t work because of the dvsd codec they are calculated with.

I do not have all the tapes anymore where I captured the content from, so I am blinded to the GBs full of files PE can`t work with.

What can I do that PE work with that files and what is that difference about with the export function compared with Premiere Pro functionality?

Thank you in advance.

Yours,

Erik

• 3. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, Erik. But you say you captured your video over a FireWire connection and that the files are AVIs using the DV codec, as indicated in the G Spot illustration above.

If so, the problem may be that the files were captured as Microsoft Type 1 AVIs rather than the more standard Type 2 AVIs.

Try this: Download Virtual Dub from http://virtualdub.org. Open one of your captured AVI files in Virtual Dub and then do a Save As to save it as a new file. If I am understanding you correctly, this new file should import perfectly into Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                SeiGraph Level 1

Hello Steve,

I gave it a try with a short test sequence, after saving the sequence it worked in PE but the footage contained those horizontal interlace stripes.

The stripes where already there when I opened the file in VD, when playing in MS Movie player everything is fine. In addition the aspect ratio hast to be fixed because the Camcorder recorded width aspect.

I cannot convert and aspect fix / recalculate more than 300 GBs....-(

I linked the test video so that you could checkout if there will be another possibility to solve my prob having an example file.

http://opensd.de/test/test.zip

Thank you in advance.

Yours,

Erik

• 5. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing

I'm sorry, Erik. I guess I'm just not understanding your problem.

If you are using Type 2 DV AVIs in a Premiere Elements project set up for DV, your outputs should look terrific.

I don't know what else to tell you, Erik. I feel like I'm just not getting what you're asking help with. Sorry.

• 6. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                    SeiGraph Level 1

Hello Steve,

I just captured a small part from the JVC with PE directly, I chose DV PAL Option. After woods I loaded the resulting file into GSpot and it got the dvsd / DVC/DV Video codec as well but in reverse I was able to load it into PE without problems regardless of the effect PE got with files that were captured with windows before.

When I opened the file with VNC or Virtual Dub I got the same interlaced stripes again.

Beside that test I tried to de-interlace some older files with Virtual Dub, but all fast moving things look terrible if they are close-up.

So far so good.

Cheers,

Erik

• 7. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                      SeiGraph Level 1

...yes Steve, the PE captured sequence looks great in PE, but what I was wondering about is that GSpot told me that the just in PE captured file got the same codec like the once I tried to load as footage into PE which stood still after 2 frames just playing the footage sound, this behavior meets nearly 90% of my library...where is the difference when GSpot analyses the same dvsd / DVC/DV Video codec and Virtual Dub got the same interlace effect in the old and the new PE test capture, only PE handle the files differently...

The test file http://opensd.de/test/test.zip   was captured today by windows live tool via firewire, just try to load it into PE, my PE 10 is not able to play it, does your PE got the same problems with that sequence?

Yours,

Erik

• 8. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                        nealeh Level 5

That file works perfectly in my PRE10 so there may be something else going on with your system.

I created a standard PAL DV project, dragged the clip to the Project Media panel and from there to the timeline. PRE  displays the incorrect project setting message (because the clip is (a) a Type 1 DV-AVI and (b) because it has a 16:9 display aspect ratio). Accept its recommendation. Try copying this workflow and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't take a look at the following:

Got a Problem? How to Get Started

FAQ: Premiere Elements Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                          SeiGraph Level 1

Hello Neale,

Thank you for your input. The problem is fixed now.

Regarding your hint I checked my environment: Win-Update status was fine, there were now PE 10 updates to install.....but there was no QT installed. That may be the result of my dislike regarding that product… ;-)

First I tried the workflow you described without any system changes. Result: The picture was still frozen the sound was playing and no project setting message appears when I dropped the footage to the timeline.

Then I installed QT. After I reopened PE I repeated the workflow and what should I say everything went fine.

It would be great if everything in live could be fixed that simple.

Neale, you and BillBill Hunt saved my day!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Erik

• 10. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                            SeiGraph Level 1

Hello Steve,

Thank you for help, the problem is fixed, the behavior was an effect based on missing QuickTime installation.

The moment QT was installed the files were playing normally in PE.

Yours,

Erik

• 11. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                              nealeh Level 5

Good news - glad to hear all is well.  PRE requires QT installed to work properly so, on reflection, it would be sensible for the installer to check for its presence. Time for a feature request at the Feedback Site on Photoshop.com (despite its name it is for PRE as well as PSE).

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Footage import without problems, sound is playing but video is still framing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I agree that the installer should do a check for QT. Do not recall about PrE, but many Adobe programs install disc set DID come with a QT Player, and many installers DO check for QT Player, and also Adobe Acrobat Reader, or similar.

PrPro relies less on QT Player for things, until one goes to edit MOV (and similar) files, and then it IS required, but not before. Many users, who do not do MOV never install it. Maybe that thinking crept into the PrE installer?

Hunt