10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 8:20 AM by Noel Carboni

view/preview giant .psb files

nineinone

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good way or an alternative browser maybe to view/preview giant sized .psb files?

I am now working on files from 5 - 20 GB each, 30 - 50,000 pixels, and am stuck using Bridge to go thru them, which takes forever to create thumbnails, and is often unreliable, as every now and then Bridge will just refuse to create a thumbnail for a certain image or 2 and drives me crazy.

Any suggestions? Am currently using CS3.

Yes I know this is an older version, I just wish there was a more efficient way to preview large files. PS obviously generates a flattened image preview every time u save, but the previews Bridge uses are fairly low res to my eye, yet it still takes ridiculously long to load each one, which I dont understand if during the save that preview image should be 'in' the file anyway.

There's got to be a better way to work with giant files.

Any tricks you power users know maybe?

thanks!

• 1. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
          Noel Carboni Level 8

You might want to name what system you're using (Mac or PC).

For PC:  Unfortunately the short answer is no, I don't know of a viewer that handles PSB.  It's a pet peeve of mine that the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack developers have up to now ignored PSB files.  They claim it would consume inordinate system resources to thumbnail very large PSB files.

Nor have the IrfanView developers been willing to add PSB support.  I haven't gotten any answer back from them at all.

Note that PSB files don't actually HAVE to be large, though that's what most people use PSB for.  With 3rd party viewer/codec/app support equaling that for PSD, PSB would be an ideal format to use for everything as you never have to worry about limits.

-Noel

• 2. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
            gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At the end of the year if I recall correctly,the CS3 upgrade path will expire and upgrades will only be one version back,CS5.

The best advice I can give is to download the trial for CS6 and see if it behaves much better with your PSB files,then upgrade. It's not the advice you want,but PSB viewers are "somewhere out there," and if you are having to deal with these files,you should not hang on to CS3 especially if it's getting in the way of your professional workflow.

• 3. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
              Noel Carboni Level 8

To expand on Gene's point a bit... If you're working regularly with these very large files, a 64 bit editor and a system with a lot of RAM is really going to make a big positive difference.  Keep in mind Bridge CS6 has a 64 bit version as well.

-Noel

• 4. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
                Herbert2001 Level 4

Older thread, but the solution I came up with while working with giant psb files is to create a screenshot of the file in full screen mode (I work on a 2560px wide 27"screen), save that as a preview file with the same label+"_preview", and collect all psb files in a sub folder with the same name.

psb files

---psbname_preview.jpg

---psbname folder

------original psb

This way I can quickly preview all psb files in either the OS file managers, or Bridge. To open a file I drag it to Photoshop. I do not use bridge when opening these psb files.

Also, for batch conversion ImageMagick can prove useful as well (it supports psb files).

• 5. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
                  Cody Ranaldo

you could also use image processor through bridge to create small preview jpegs of the files--  If I remember correctly, using image processor or batch on a bunch of files should allow the computer to skip the rendering of the image (as you are not going to actually look at it) and should process the images considerably more quickly than if you were to attempt to say, open each image individually, downsize it, flatten it, and save it as a jpeg.

• 6. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
                    David A. Gilmour

The codec available here from Ardfry Imaging handles PSB (and PSD) file format.  It allows you to view images in PSB file format using Windows Explorer, Windows Photo Viewer, and Windows Media Center.  Any 3rd party image viewer that supports WIC (a Microsoft codec framework) will also be able to display PSB's, using the Ardfry codec.

- David

• 7. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
                      TLL... Level 3

"Bridge CS6 has a 64 bit version as well"

Running Bridge CS6 64-bit is a great improvement over previous Bridge versions, especially for big files. This was a reason for my upgrading to CS6. Try the 30-day DL of PS CS6...

• 8. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

David Gilmour wrote:

The codec available here from Ardfry Imaging handles PSB (and PSD) file format.

Thank you for that tip, David.

Do you know whether the PSB codec can be installed separately from the PSD codec, for which I already have a solution I like?

-Noel

• 9. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
                          David A. Gilmour Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

Do you know whether the PSB codec can be installed separately from the PSD codec

Not as far as I know, Noel.  If I recall correctly, a single installer runs, without offering any options.

I have both the Ardfry codec and the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack installed.  I have yet to figure out how to tell which one of the two PSD codecs is in play when I am viewing PSD previews, nor how to specify which of the two codecs I want the system to use.  I am not experiencing any problems with the two PSD codecs installed though, so they appear to play nicely together.

On a side note, Ardfry provides a free plug-in for Directory Opus which adds support for their codec, enabling viewing and thumbnail generation of PSD/PSB within that excellent file explorer.

- David

• 10. Re: view/preview giant .psb files
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

I tried installing both myself.  The order of installation may matter, but I have yet to get proper display of both PSD and PSB files with both installed.

Ardfry has said that if Photoshop is set to save image previews that they'll pick up on those, while the FPV codec will actually try to composite a multi-layered PSD file behind the scenes, and usually does a pretty good job of it.

I can't fathom why Axel Rietschin won't consider adding PSB support to the FPV package.

-Noel