3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 11:45 AM by ageofem

Paths for a top shine?

media kat Level 1

I want to create a top shine for the rectangle in the image. I use the Pen tool to start the shape by drawing the left side of the path, with my plan to copy the path, paste it, flip it, and join the two parts together, fill it with white and lower the opacity.Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 9.40.23 PM.png

1. Why does this path drawn with the Pen look a bit pixelated?

2. After selecting both the original path, and the newly pasted one, I select them both and Join them via Modify >Combine PAths>Join, though they do not stay connected when I click on the individual sides?

3. Is there an easier way to create a top shine type shape like this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Paths for a top shine?
          groove25 Level 4
          1. Looks pretty good to me. (Be sure to view @ 100% zoom.) That said, steep and shallow angles do tend to look more "stairstepped" than 45-degree ones. It might also be a weakness in Fireworks' rendering/anti-aliasing algorithms.
          2. Not sure why the two sides would not stay connected if they've been joined into a Composite Path.
          3. You could draw an ellipse (or a rounded rectangle) and a rectangle of the same width, or wider. Position the rectangle against the top half of the ellipse, and then use Subtract/Punch, within the Combine Paths options in the Properties Inspector, to create a Compound Shape.
            Another strategy would be to make a copy of the original rectangle and use that as a mask for the shape (e.g., ellipse) being used for the top shine. Just place the copied rectangle above the ellipse, select them both and choose Group As Mask.
          • 2. Re: Paths for a top shine?
            groove25 Level 4

Here's something to consider if you're using your Pen tool method to create the 'top shine' shape. If you select both open paths using the Pointer tool and then apply the Join command, you'll create something called a Composite Path. Composite paths are especially useful for rendering complex shapes that contain negative space, like this:

making swiss cheese.png

But this method won't actually fuse your two open path segments into a single path. To see what I mean, try using the Pen tool to join the top ends of your newly joined 'top shine' curve, and you'll find that the path refuses to close. Because it's not a single path, there's no way to close it.

attempting to close a composite path.png

So instead, use the Subselection tool and drag-select the overlapping points where the two paths connect, then apply the Join command. Now you'll have a single path.

drag select connecting points.png

Alternatively, you could explore some of the commands available in the Path panel. "Weld points" offers another way to fuse together two path segments into one. "Join points" could be used to complete your 'top shine' shape horizontally along the top.

Path panel.png

• 3. Re: Paths for a top shine?
              ageofem Level 1

1. It's always like that  , i suggest you make a stroke into a fill when doing this , it would look smoother.

3. You draw an ellipse which is wider than the rectangle, it depends on the top shine technique you are using. Then duplicate the rectangle + intersect with the ellipse.

As for the actual top shine, you'll just use a lighter color? Let's say white and no feather edge ?

This is an example of a shine or highlight effect in a logo project >

http://blue2x.deviantart.com/art/Baracoot-323310505

You can use a radial or linear gradient on the shine ,  or a feather or anti alias edge. Ex: when using a radial gradient there are like 2 default colors right? Let's say you use both white, change the other white's opacity to zero, and the other to 100. The shine will look better