8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 3:04 PM by Bill Gehrke

Internal Disk is 5400 rpm

nickflix Level 1

Hi everyone! I'm taking the tutorial to optimize my system performance, and I'm on the part where the system requirements are up. I see in the video that it requires a 7200rpm disk drive for compressed and Raid 0 for uncompressed. My computer was built for me as a gift, so I didn't know what kind of hard drive was in there, but I finally looked it up. It's a:

WD20EARS-00MVWB0 hard drive.

I checked the specs, and according to a website, not WD, but someone selling the drive, it's a 5400rpm hard drive.  Based on the adobe required specs, this is technically not a good drive to be using for the program, right?

One note, I don't edit video files from the C drive. I have three external drives for all of my video, and they're all WD drives, but 7200rpm, if that does end up making a difference.

Long story short, should I get a new internal hard drive? I find the adobe performance on my computer pretty fast, although lately my rendering times are REALLY long. Used magic bullet denoiser for the first time yesterday, and 1 minute of footage de-noised wanted to take over an hour to render.

Thanks very much.

• 1. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Should not make much difference as the only thing that will really slow down is bringing up Windows and your applications after that they run out of memory (if you have lots of memory).

But the important thing is how are you interfacing those three external drives?  

As any one on this forum will tell you any MB tools are very CPU dependant and will take forever.

• 2. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm
            nickflix Level 1

Hi Bill.  Thanks for the reply. What if I got a way faster internal drive and then set the scratch disks to that? I hate to get rid of my current drive since it's got so many files, so maybe I could get a big 7200 fast drive and would that speed things up, you think?

• 3. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bill said... MB tools are very CPU dependant and will take forever

Faster internal DATA drive might help, a small amount, if your externals are USB2

If your externals are USB3 or eSata, a 7200rpm internal is not likely to help very much

• 4. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm
                nickflix Level 1

thanks Bill. I have 8GB of RAM and an Intel Core i5 CPU.  650@ 3.20 ghz  3.19 Ghz 

the externals are fairly new, they do use usb3 but compatible with usb 2.0.  Any thoughts on anything else I should do? I think I'll definitely get the new drive since it's at least obvious it needs to be a faster one. But I'd love to know if there's anything else you'd think would help me out. I'm watching the tutorial and doing tweaks, but if I need more RAM or something else, please do let me know. Thanks very much.

• 5. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm

You probably would be happier, since you did not tell us how you interface those external drive we can only guess that they may be USB 2.0 connected and then they are only good for archiving.  Two new drives in RAID 0 for your projects and you would even be happier--as long as you back up the RAID 0 after each editing session or so.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

As you can see your question was answered the next improvement would be more RAM

• 6. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm
                    nickflix Level 1

I'm sorry, I think I'd not been sure what interface meant in terms of the system so I decided not to mention it. I'm using them as my editing hard drives, as in they have my video files in them which I'm using to edit and then output. Is that wrong? Would the two internal drives be better for me to be using? And just to make sure, I absolutely know about backing up, has saved me many times, but just to clafify, what exactly should I back up on the RAID 0? Scratch disks? Or the footage? Just want to make sure. Will likely be buying drives tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your help, Bill.

• 7. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm
                      RjL190365 Level 4

The problem is that USB 2.0 is extremely slow by current standards. In fact, the USB 2.0 interface is far slower than the physical transfer speed of today's hard drives! You see, modern 7200 RPM hard drives average over 100 MB/s sequentially, and even their minimum sequential speed is at least twice as fast as the maximum practical (sustainable) bandwidth of USB 2.0 -- USB 2.0 High-Speed is limited to a maximum sustainable bandwidth of only about 35 MB/s based on my own benchmark testing with very fast flash drives that can reach 95 MB/s with the proper interface.

• 8. Re: Internal Disk is 5400 rpm

Well let me start by saying disks are readily transported to newer systems so two internal drives would help somewhat and more memory would also help but the heart of your system is only a dual core processor (at least it is hyperthreaded) so you at least have 4 threads.   So it may not be practical to spend too much unless you can reuse the components if you really get into editing and plan for an eventual new system.  With an LGA 1156 I guess you could consider a CPU upgrade and then a GPU upgrade because I imagine that you are using the onboard graphics.  But then I do not imagine that is what you want to hear.