9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2012 1:14 PM by the_wine_snob

RAM Requirments, How Much?

harry_wg1234 Level 1

I am getting a new laptop.

Windows 7,  i7 quad core 2.6 GHz processor.

SSD Boot Disc and a Hybrid Data Disc

Premier Elements 10

How much RAM would I need to do some basic video editing with Premier Elements 10?

It will be basic editing of family videos. nothing too fancy.

Would 16 GB be enough?

I can upgrade to 32GB but it's an extra £133

I assume the file formats need more RAM memory that their actual file size suggests.

The biggest AVI file i have is 667 MB

The biggest mpg file i have is 289 MB

The biggest 3gp file i have is 377 MB

Thanks

• 1. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harry,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for "how to" articles, and the like. I will move your post to the main PrE forum, where you will get many more "eyes" on it, and suggestions. I just did not want you to think that your post has disappeared.

For me, being able to use 32GB of RAM would definitely be a big plus with a 64-bit OS.

In very general terms, the biggest bang for the buck is to have multiple drives, and to split the I/O load over those. Next, and it depends on the CODEC used by the Source Footage, is the CPU speed. RAM is # 3, but a close contender.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
            nealeh Level 5

harry_wg1234 wrote:

I assume the file formats need more RAM memory that their actual file size suggests.

Your file sizes suggest your source material is already heavily compressed (see note below re the AVI file). This will adversely affect the final quality.

What is the codec the footage within your AVI files uses (install Gspot and analyze your clip with it)? I ask because a Type 2 DV-AVI file (perfect for a PRE standard definiton project) runs at around 13GB per hour. So 700MB would mean around three minutes if that was a DV-AVI.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
              harry_wg1234 Level 1

Thanks for the info.

The big AVI file (667MB) uses XviD ISO MPEG-4

according to the Gspot program

These are old videos I extracted from a DVD (vob files) using a program called Pazera Free 3GP to AVI Converter v1.4

Video is new to me. I started looking at it yesterday!!!

I have previously (years ago) recorded my kids etc. using a Sony DCR-PC8E mini DV camcorder I then copied the complete video tape to a DVD

I 'think' I copied the video to a Hard Disc DVD recorder (via firewire) and then did some very basic editing and then burnt them to DVD in the same machine.

This was a  years ago.

I have just been given premier 10 for my birthday and thought I would try and tidy up the videos. Make them more presentable so to speak.

Video editing will not be its main use, still photography will be 80% of its use.

I am also getting a new laptop so wanted to know if I needed more memory before I buy it or if 16 GB would be enough for my basic needs.

I was hoping that the video clips would be loaded into the RAM and it would basically work from RAM, thus be faster.

(Windows 7 professional 64bit ,  i7 quad core 2.6 GHz processor.) SSD Boot Disc and a Hybrid Data Disc

I was going to cut the wonky bits out, trim them down a bit, just leave the interesting bits

Maybe put a few titles on the clips

so I used the video converter to get the video off the DVD to a video file format

I started by converting them to AVI files, I just used the default settings of the converting program because I don’t know any better.

I found that the video was in sections on the DVD (different vob files, 1_01, 1_02 etc

I also found out that the first part of the converted avi file (1_01) would play via the Sony Play Station and that parts 2 onwards would not

But I found out that if I converted them to mpg files then all parts would play.

I store the video files on a NAS which plugs into the Play Station via an Ethernet cable.

maybe I am going about this the wrong way

any thoughts on technique or if 16 GB will do are appreciated.

• 5. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK. Regardless of the computer you use, PrE will most likely not be able to even properly Import that Xvid material. Xvid, like its commercial counterpart, DivX, is a delivery only format, is heavily compressed, and uses CODEC's that PrE cannot use completely. Even PrPro cannot handle that material properly.

Now, if you have much Xvid/DivX material to edit, I strongly suggest either converting it to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, or perhaps looking at either CyberLink's PowerDirector, or Magix Movie Edit Pro. At least with earlier versions, those two programs did a little better job with those problem CODEC's. Note: neither another NLE, nor conversion, will restore all of the quality lost.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I store the video files on a NAS which plugs into the Play Station via an Ethernet cable.

I also use an NAS to store most of my Source Files, and it's connected via a Gigabit switch. To edit, however, I Copy over the necessary files, as even the Gigabit connection is not fast enough for me to edit smoothly. Maybe I am just impatient.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I found that the video was in sections on the DVD (different vob files, 1_01, 1_02 etc

I also found out that the first part of the converted avi file (1_01) would play via the Sony Play Station and that parts 2 onwards would not

With 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, PrE should be able to Import them, and "strip out" the MPEG-2 files inside them. If they are NOT DVD-compliant, then there will very often be an issue, and especially with the first VOB. See this article for more info: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
                      harry_wg1234 Level 1

Thanks for the info Bill, there is a lot to digest here.

First off I always edit/burn using local files, even my gigabit network doesn’t seem fast enough for me.

I many still have some of the videos on the tapes. I may not have erased all the tapes so I could try importing those video clips into PrE and start from scratch.

I will see if PrE can read the VOBs on the home burnt DVDs .

I will have to wait for my new laptop as the current laptop is not up to it.

Should be here next week I hope, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the VOB link the mist is starting to clear, a bit.

It looks like the learning curve is steep.

Onwards and upwards…

It will all make sense in time or at least some sense.

Thanks again for the info.

• 9. Re: RAM Requirments, How Much?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I will see if PrE can read the VOBs on the home burnt DVDs .

If the authoring program produced 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, they should work well in PrE. Both PrE and Adobe Encore do a great job with 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, but some other software, well not as good. Almost all DVR machines do a very, very poor job, and I cannot recall ever encountering a single DVD from one, even TV station pro units, that did a first VOB, that would Import properly. Some cameras, that recorded to mini-DVD (don't see many around nowadays) did a poor job too.

Good luck, and happy reading...

Hunt