6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 8:54 AM by Todd_Kopriva

ERROR: RAM Preview Issue

mdwebcat Level 1

Hello -

I have been researching this issue all day.  I have seen a variety of posts but no solution for me yet.

I am using AE 5.5.  I get the following error when trying to Preview.

"RAM preview needs 2 or more frames to playback"

I am working on a Mac and I have tried it on the Mac laptop and Mac desktop.  Both systems have enough RAM to handle After Effects. 

Any guidance is very much appreciated!!

Thank you

• 1. Re: ERROR: RAM Preview Issue
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What footages are used? What effects? Is audio involved? What are the comp settings? Does turning on and off layers/ audio/ effects change the behavior? You need to provide a lot more information....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: ERROR: RAM Preview Issue
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's a little Mac utility called Free Memory that helps solve this problem. Adobe, and several other app makers, are a little too polite when comes to asking for memory. Memory management on the Mac is a little bit too stingy and hold on to more memory than it really needs to. When one is a little too polite and the other is a little too stingy things don't get done very well.

Every time I have this problem in an AE session I run free memory once. That seems to solve the problem for the rest of the session.

This is a known issue and, as far as I know, both sides are working on it. In the meantime, Free Memory really helps solve this problem.

• 3. Re: ERROR: RAM Preview Issue
              Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi

Funny enough - I had the same issue yesterday, and after some reading, saw the same comments above on other posts - for me, a simple reboot solved the issue - I know that is a very "Microsoft" type solution, but it worked for me! :-)

Pierre

• 4. Re: ERROR: RAM Preview Issue
                marshalldmotion

Usually just a restart of ae does the trick for me. I use chrome and have noticed that closing it also helps. I have had this happen on my imac with 4gb of ram and my beast mac pro too.

• 5. Re: ERROR: RAM Preview Issue
                  Christina C. R. Level 1

HI, I'm experiencing this problem as well, but it only starts after I add audio.

My composition is quite simple at the moment, I just need this snippet of audio to create a simple animation...

I'm able to listen to the audio with ram preview in the Viewer, but once I add it to the composition, I get the error.

I then have to proceed to re-start AE because once I remove the audio from the comp, the same error will come up again (until restarted).

Audio settings are:

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 11.10.18 AM.png

My computer info:

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 11.11.25 AM.png

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

• 6. Re: ERROR: RAM Preview Issue
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that one of the changes is the addition of a new Memory & Multiprocessing preference and an adjustment to memory handling on Mac OS to alleviate the problem seen when getting the message “After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback”.