10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 8:07 PM by Jim_Simon

Exporting to bring into other programs?

StanWelks Level 1

I'm switching from FCP and in that program when I wanted to export an uncompressed video that I could show someone else or bring into DVD Studio Pro or Motion, After Effects, etc. to work on more I would export what was called a Self-Contained QT file.

1. What is the equivalent of this in Premiere? Is there a recommended file export for going into AE or other programs for additional work?

2. Is there an easy way to export without going through all the file settings like was available in FCP or do I just need to go through all the Export Settings to customize it each time?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

For PrPro to AE, you should be able to just use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), with no need for Exporting.

For other programs, you might look into one of the lossless CODEC's, such as Lagarith Lossless, or UT. Many are also happy using Avid CODEC for their intermediate files. Not sure, but assume that you are on a Mac, so there could be considerations with platform. Being PC-only, I cannot address CODEC's, that work on the Mac, but others can.

As for your Export settings, when you determine how you need to go, you can create a Preset with the full settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
            zachmull Level 1

I'm also a convert from Final Cut. There's no direct equivalent to Final Cut's File>Export>QuickTime Movie in Premiere, but it's still really easy to set up an intermediate file. In Premiere, you're always going to export through Adobe Media Encoder. If, as Bill suggested, you make a preset once in Media Encoder, you can reuse it every time you want to make an intermediate file to bring into Motion.

I don't believe the Lagarith Lossless or UT codecs are available for Mac OS, but you still have lossless codecs available through QuickTime. If you set up a QuickTime preset in Media Encoder, you can use Animation or PNG as the video codec, and both of those are lossless. They'll produce larger files than Lagarith or UT, but they won't reduce quality. If you don't need lossless intermediates, ProRes and PhotoJPEG are both good intermediate formats.

If you're bringing something into DVD Studio Pro, I recommend encoding MPEG-2 directly from Media Encoder instead of making an intermediate for DVDSP to re-encode. You can skip a step and a generation of transcoding.

• 3. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

There's no direct equivalent to Final Cut's File>Export>QuickTime Movie in Premiere

Sure there is.

File>Export>Media...  In the settings dialog you can choose whatever you want, including QuickTime formats.  Once set, you can export directly with the Export button, or go through Adobe Media Encoder using the Queue button.

They'll produce larger files than Lagarith or UT, but they won't reduce quality.

Just for clarity, both Lagarith and UT are also lossless and will not reduce quality.

• 4. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
                zachmull Level 1

File>Export>Media is still going to bring up the big encoding settings dialog, which is what Stan is hoping to skip out on. Using File>Export>Media and checking the Match Sequence Settings button is the closest to what he's describing, but I don't find that option very useful for my Premiere workflows.

Thank you Jim for clarifying about Lagarith and UT. I did write that as if they'll reduce the quality on output.

• 5. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

How can you skip settings in any program, though.  I've never used FCP, but the QuickTime container can hold a LOT of different kinds of video.  Even when you called up that option, there must have been a way for you to define what kind of video you wanted exported, no?

• 6. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

The UT codec is actually available for MAC's. I'm not sure if it works with Motion though, I do however know for a fact it works with adobe software on the Mac and PC side.  For animations I find that if you're worried about cross platform usage UT works wonderfully.However on the PC I prefer Lagarith for graphic animations over any other lossless/visually lossless codec.

• 7. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
                      zachmull Level 1

There is a way to call up detailed encoding settings, but you have open another dialog within the Export>QuickTime Movie dialog. FCP used to only work with .mov files, so by default the Export>QuickTime Movie command was set up to send out an intermediate file with the same settings as the sequence you're exporting. It's certainly not better or more versatile than File>Export>Media in Premiere, but it looks a lot simpler to new users. The functionality is no different, but the interface looks more complicated at first glance in Premiere. You are pointing Stan to the closest equivalent, but as a long-time FCP user myself, I know exactly what he's missing from that dialog.

I never missed it in Premiere because I don't have to use intermediate files anymore. Dynamic Link and Media Encoder make intermediates obsolete for everything I do besides long-term archiving. But when I do open an old FCP7 project from an archive, I still use Export>QuickTime Movie.

• 8. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I don't believe the Lagarith Lossless or UT codecs are available for Mac OS, but you still have lossless codecs available through QuickTime. If you set up a QuickTime preset in Media Encoder, you can use Animation or PNG as the video codec, and both of those are lossless

Zach,

Thank you. That was my thinking too, but before I could check that out, I got side-tracked.

I do a fair amount of work with 3D animators on Mac's, and their MOV [Animation] always work fine on my PC's. I hear great things about PhotoJPEG and PhotoPNG, but have not tested them yet - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it... " is my normal mantra.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Zach,

That sounds similar to what we were both telling the OP, with one additional step - create the Preset to be reused over and over.

Like Jim, I have never seen FCP, except for some tutorials and demo vids., so do not know what it can, and cannot do, beyond what I have read here and in a few other similar forums.

As an aside, I am such a control freak, that I sort of lean to the full settings dialog screens. PrElements is more of a "big-button" program, and one has to rather dig a bit, just to get to the controls. The program always defaults to a simple, general approach, and I hate that.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Exporting to bring into other programs?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

There is a way to call up detailed encoding settings, but you have open another dialog within the Export>QuickTime Movie dialog.

Got it.  Thanks.