33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 12:17 AM by Pmckay1976 RSS

Save for Web won't resize

Artcetra Community Member

Anyone else having issues with the Save for Web in Illustrator CS6? I am on a Windows 7 system and now that the APPLY button is gone Save for Web is not working.

Put in a new size and nothing happens. If I fiddle with random buttons for 5-10 minutes I can finally get the image to refresh to the size I want, but it's all random and doesn't work the same everytime.

Makes a 3 sec job take 15 mins which is terrible. Going to go back to CS5 if there's no fix for this.

• 1. Re: Save for Web won't resize
          Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

Have you tried the new update to CS6.0.1? Said something about fixing a Save for Web bug.

• 2. Re: Save for Web won't resize

I ran updates twice today. I am in 16.1.0 which if I am understanding correctly was suppose to fix the Save for Web bug but it hasn't changed a thing.

Not wanting to go back to CS5 but Save for Web has to work, not an optional feature.

• 3. Re: Save for Web won't resize
              CupertinoFruit Community Member

The Save for Web resizing bug is fixed. Yay!

If it's not working for you, I suggest you quit the app, trash your preferences & start it again. It should work.

• 4. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Yeah, still no luck. Maybe if I uninstall CS6 completly and then reinstall.

• 5. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                  Jacob Bugge CommunityMVP

artcetra,

Maybe if I uninstall CS6 completly and then reinstall.

If you do, you should run the Cleaner Tool in between.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

• 6. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that when I get the chance.

• 7. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                      Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

It is really hard to help you guys when you don't tell us about your system, platform etc.

But besidess the prefrences you should e ttrashing the settings folder not just the preference file and there is a save for the web preferences folder as well that can go also and if on a mac then you want to also get rid of the com.adobe.illustrator.plist which i think also exists on windows. I do not think you have to reinstall.

for the Mac

1. Quit Illustrator.
                      2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS6 Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..
                      3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

For the PC.

1. Quit Illustrator.
                      2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings folder.
                      3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

• 8. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Top post says Windows 7 but thanks for trying to help. I'll try your solution as it's the best suggestion I've gotten yet.

On phone with support for 90 mins so far and no help. Person I got didn't even comprehend the issue, asked to see the problem "Document". Asked for supervisor and was told one would call me back in an hour or I could call back again and be on hold for another 50 mins. Sorry for rant.

• 9. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Got rid of the Prefs and the Save for Web Prefs. New Prefs were created when I reopened Illustrator but still no luck.

Save for Web just sits there when you try to resize. Screen doesn't refresh. It WILL refresh if you hit the link porportions button beside the size fields but it won't automatically refresh. Wonky.

----

Thanks for all the help but for some reason it's still not working on my system.

• 10. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Uninstalled completly. Ran Cleaner Tool, reinstalled, reinstalled updates. Still Save for Web does not resize image.

• 11. Re: Save for Web won't resize

When you tab out of the Width (or Height) field or click in the other field, the update will happen. It won't automatically refresh on changing values, nothing wonky about it.

• 12. Re: Save for Web won't resize

So, just to make sure it's not user error. If I put 350 px in the Width field and then hit tab tab the image should refresh to the 350 px right?

It doesn't, it just stays the original size.

If I hit tab 3 times (so Art Optimized is highlighted) then my Width field that I changed to 350 px goes BACK to the original px size automatically. 350 px is changed back to the original 285 px and the image never refreshes to a larger size.

It would be nice if it were user error so let me know if I am missing something.

----------

Extra note: if I put in a MUCH smaller or larger px size than the orginal image say 10px from an original 285 px, or 600 px from an original 285 px it works perfectly. If I put in 350 px from an original 285 px it works like 1 out of 14 times??? Honestly, I counted.

It's like it notices a large size change but most of the time it doesn't respond to a slight size change. Am I missing something?

If I put in 10px and it works. Close it out, go back in then the 350 px works (right after the 10 px sucessful resize). Close again, try 350 px and it doesn't work, nor does it work at 350 px again for the next 10-12 times, it just changes right back to 285 px as soon as I tab 3 times.

That seems crazy to me.

Thanks again for trying to help.

• 13. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Yes, I can also see what you are seeing. Unfortunately this is a bug. Looks like this has cropped up because of the other resizing bug (where when you input a value, say 1200, the value got truncated to 120) that they fixed in the update. Go right ahead and report it.

• 14. Re: Save for Web won't resize

I reported it as a bug.

Thanks for letting me know it happens on your end too. If more than my system is doing it then they should end up getting it fixed at some point.

• 15. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                      Promofuse Community Member

Same issue here. EXTREMELY frustrating. I may do some video captures of what's going on and post it up on youtube or try to find a way to send it to Adobe. Today I had to save out about 6 different logos in Save for Web, each in a JPEG, GIF, and PNG formats, so that was 18 different saves, and it's a complete pain in the butt. I usually have to hit the "Clip to Artboard" setting a couple of times before it will catch and the image refresh. I've tried tabbing from number to number, and clicking on different fields, and the Clip to Artboard setting seems to be the only thing that I can toggle that will change it nearly 100% of the time, but having to toggle it on and off trying to get it to catch is ridiculously stupid. It's basically like kicking the dashboard in your car to get the air conditioner to work...rather than actually having it fixed and working the way it should. Hey Adobe....I'm sick of kicking the dashboard in CS6 with all of these bugs (this is one of many I've seen)

Just put the stupid "Apply" button back, Adobe. It wasn't broke, why the crap did you think it was necessary to "fix"? Did you really think it was that much of a hassle for us to hit the "Apply" button to refresh the settings? I never once said to myself "Hitting this stupid Apply button is so cumbersome! I wish they would just take it out and auto-update everything as I type!" It's like you guys were just reaching for petty little things to jack with instead of actually trying to create nice new features. Stroke width adjustment=good new idea. Messing with basic fundamental features that perfect as they were=dumb.

• 16. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Yes it is. I've just gone back to CS5 for now.

FYI, I've have a support case open with Adobe and supposidly they have decided that it IS a bug and say they will get it corrected in an update however they did tell me that it was only happening to SOME people so it probably wouldn't hurt if you made some noise about it as well.

• 17. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                          Limbo Design Community Member

I too am having this problem and have just resorted to "Exporting" the file as a jpeg from illustrator..  The only way I could get it to resize was to change from "Text Optimization" to either "None'" or "Art Optimization".  At least it has quite changing the value when I typed 500 pixels in the sizing box.  It used to automatically change it to 50 and I'd have to do it multiple times. 

• 18. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Yes, it's a real pain. I hope they fix it soon. I use Save for Web all day long, not a good feature to be broke.

• 19. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                              sonjanna Community Member

I do have the same problem, it was easy & quick in CS5, but fails now in CS6 - as webdesigner I realy depend on this workflow. Sure there are more of us. Please fix this bug!

• 20. Re: Save for Web won't resize

Yes, it's a BIG pain.

I saw there was an update for Illustrator so I was hoping that was the fix. No such luck. At least not for me. :-(

• 21. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                  Zaneon Community Member

I have the latest updates yet also having the same issue.

Will also be raising a ticket regarding this.

• 22. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                    noddinghead Community Member

i'm having the same problem, but if i cycle through the linked dimensions (chain icon) i can get it to resize and maintain my proportions...hope that helps

• 23. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                      noddinghead Community Member

need to specify that the H or W dimension that i designate is highlighted when i cycle through the linked dimensions icon...

• 24. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                        Axiom DeSigns Community Member

noddinghead posted the same solution I'm using...
                                                        1: when ready with your "export" click save for web
                                                        2: UNCHECK the "chain icon" to disable proportions in the Image Size box.
                                                        3: enter your correct width or height (one or the other, not both)

4: click the Chain icon to activate proportion resizing
                                                        5: enjoy your image resizing.

It's very annoying that "tabbing" does not activate the change like it has in every single other adobe progam.

• 25. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                          stephenls Community Member

This is incredibly frustrating, especially as it relates to an absolutely essential piece of functionality. I am on Windows 7 64 bit and I have found (though it seems that results may vary with any of these solutions) that if I change the values in the width and height fields, and then change the value in the Optimization dropdown, that it convinces Illustrator to resize the image. You can then reset the  optimization to 'none', if that is what you actually require, and the new dimensions maintain.  This seems to work irrespective of whether or not the porportion lock is activated .

I can't believe that Adobe would overlook something so integral, and I expect this to be resolved soon!!

• 26. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                            petersjoo Community Member

Same problem here. Every single app in CS6 has serious issues, how can Adobe release this crap?!

• 27. Re: Save for Web won't resize

I just ran the Illustrator update again in hopes that they had fixed it. No luck, still same issue. ARG!!!!!

• 28. Re: Save for Web won't resize

More bad news. I visited my "open case" and found out they have "withdrawn" it. It now shows up as a "closed" case.

Funny, I thought a case got closed when the problem was fixed.

Maybe Adobe no longer thinks "Save for Web" is an important feature.

• 29. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                                  Promofuse Community Member

Typical Adobe, as of lately. I opened a thread over on the Photoshop forums regarding CS6's lack of thumbnail previews when in list view on Windows, and they marked it as "Not a Problem". Seems Adobe is deciding for us which features are important and which are not.

• 30. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                                    rakesh00001 Community Member

Hi checked if you resize document and choose donebut it will not work eachtime. Follw these steps deffinaly it will work. ---

To resize the document from "save for web"

1. input size or precentage and press white color box from below

blur.

2. color window will open wait for resize document automatically

3. Now cancel the color pannel and save it.

2. done.

• 31. Re: Save for Web won't resize
                                                                      Pmckay1976 Community Member

This is totally erratic for me. I too couldnt get it to resize consistently. Thanks to the advice here i trashed preferences and indeed it worked ok the first time, then not the second :-( so i tried clicking into the size boxes after and it was working but then again not always, so i've been using the color box option. Thanks for that.

• 32. Re: Save for Web won't resize

just to update - again erratic, as now none of the clicking in boxes, or choosing color boxes works consistently. what is happening consistently is the '4' in '714' pixels keeps dropping off every time i click out to try and resize. So this is now driving me mad, after trying some of the fixes here...

• 33. Re: Save for Web won't resize

actually looked back throught proposed fixes and thanks to Axiom Designs for the only fix that consistently works!