3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2012 1:37 AM by Mylenium

After Effects + Flash - Dynamic Content. How to integrate special effects.

jdingo320

Hello World of Adobe.

I am currently working on a project involving data driven dynamic content. This data is being incorporated into the video at runtime.

I have done these types of projects before, with success, and am looking to step up my game.

So the question:

How can I use effects such as - Blur, wiggle, distort, shatter etc. on dynamic content.

For instance:

John Doe puts his information into a text feild. That data is sent to flash environment, where it is "injected" into the video at the proper time and location. His name appears in fancy lettering surrounded by fancy environment factors. The name however, blurs in and out of focus.... maybe distorts a bit, then shatters.

An example:

These guys over at XMPie seem to have this figured out.

http://www.xmpie.com/PEVideo

"Starting with either an original After Effects movie or an existing template from an online library, the user can incorporate variable text, images, and other footage with exciting special effects like animate, wiggle, shatter, blur, warp, distort, and more"

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: After Effects + Flash - Dynamic Content. How to integrate special effects.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You simply need a set of scripts (or plug-ins) that modify and then render a specific template to a watch folder where it is then encoded and streamed to the client. Nothing magic, just a lot of work and of course not runtime.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects + Flash - Dynamic Content. How to integrate special effects.
            jdingo320 Level 1

Thank you for your feedback.

So essentially there would be a After Effects project template on a server waiting for certain input data. Then it would be rendered and .flv encoded and sent to the video player.

Do I have that right?

This could be a problem given the render time, as my client wants the video shown soon after user data in inputted. But may be a solution for a more rich experience, not generated at run-time.

Are there any plugins or specific scripts you can point me to?

Also, regarding flash, if I were to export cue point data for these custom feilds, does flash support any additional effects... such as blur, opacity etc. That can be placed within the .flv metadata?

• 3. Re: After Effects + Flash - Dynamic Content. How to integrate special effects.
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, that's basically how it would work. I'm sure you can find enough sample scripts on sites like AEScripts and AEnhancers dealing with anything from setting up the render queue to updating text layers, but of course you'd have to adapt it to your needs. Flash does support a few text styles like drop shadows, outer glow, Gaussian blur etc. and of course normal blending modes and opacity animation, but they only make sense if you can use hardware acceleration client-side. Even then there are limitations in rendering them over video and of course it will consume a lot of performance. Also they work and look differently from the same PS/ AE effects/ styles. And you'd also have to deal with things like font usage and rendering...

Mylenium