4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 9:50 PM by Jim_Lester

Is there a way to change the original registered email address?

SharonCon1976

Is there a way to change the original registered email address? I have cancelled the email address I originally signed up with, is there a way to update ADE to my new email address?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to change the original registered email address?
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

No.  But - it's not necessary.  Your old email address may not be current,

but it's still part of your Adobe ID, and you can use it as such, just as

you would a user ID that you made up.

===========

• 2. Re: Is there a way to change the original registered email address?
            juanjo bayo Level 1

In any case, it's posible change it?. Cause i bought in the past some books with an especific email-id and now i'm using and id-email different. Though i've uninstalled digital edition and reinstalled trying to change the id the system rememeber the id and don't let me change it.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to change the original registered email address?
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Your Adobe ID is embedded in the ebook's information.  You can't change it

in the ebook.

However, just because your old ID isn't in use as an email address doesn't

mean that you can't use it to read the ebooks you've downloaded when you

did use it.  You can change the 'current' ID that ADE is using and have

access to any ebooks that were downloaded before, then change it back to

have access to those you downloaded after.  You use CTLShiftD keys to

deauthorize your copy of ADE when you bring it up on your computer.  Then,

when you try to open an ebook, ADE will ask you for your ID.  Use whichever

ID was used when you downloaded the ebook, and ADE will let you access it.

If you're like me, you don't remember which one you used for which ebook.

That's OK - you can go through this process again and get it right the

second time.

A PITA?  Maybe.  But it works.  Don't blame Adobe - this is a requirement

under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 that Adobe - and everyone

else in the epublication business - is supposed to follow.

==========

• 4. Re: Is there a way to change the original registered email address?
                Jim_Lester Level 4

So the answer is actually yes.   To the system you are just a number (UUID), that just happens to have an email attached to it.  While normally being just a number, might be considered a bad thing, in this case it works out rather well.

Your number in this case is the UUID for your Adobe DRM ID.  This Adobe DRM ID, happens to have an AdobeID associated with it (which also is a number underneath the hood, btw).  When you authorize a computer with an AdobeID - on the Adobe side this looks up your AdobeID account number which is used to look up your Adobe DRM ID, which then gets your activation information.

What's stored in the books in your Adobe DRM ID number (not your email address).

So you can go to the Adobe Account settings for your AdobeID, and change the email address.  This will give you warnings about this changing your AdobeID - but you will end up with the same account, which means you will get the same Adobe DRM ID, which means everything will work.

The only bit of wierdness is that ADE will store the Adobe ID email address that you first logged in with, and will display this as the Adobe ID that you are activated to.  If you change the email address on the server ADE does not get updated and will continue to display the (now incorrect) old email address.  If you deactivate and reactive, you will get the new email address, but I would recommend this, as there is a fair amount that can go wrong when you deactivate.

The more interesting test will be to activate a new PC/Mac with the new email address and you will find that you can transfer files to the new PC and they will open up (permissions allowing).  If this doesn't work, then most likely you did something interesting like creating a brand new AdobeID, instead of just changing the email address of your existing one.

Good Luck.