23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 8:38 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!

EJ Laurence

I edited a 32 minute movie in Premiere Elements 10, and now I'm trying to export it.  At some point during the export, and it seems to vary, I get an unknown compile error.  I've been trying to export the movie for the past week and all I get is failure despite trying just about everything I've found written about how to solve this.

I have Win 7 Ultimate SP 1 running on a Lenovo desktop machine with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU at 2.67 GHz, 4GB of RAM, 32 bit proc.

Premiere is installed on system C drive with 6 GB of free space.

Project and scrach disks are on D drive with 165 GB of free space.

Media files are on 2nd E drive with 50GB of free space.

Project and most source material is NTSC DV -- there are quite a few photos with motion, plus some iPhone HD video on the timeline, hundreds of clips in all plus narration, a few titles, etc.

Export destination folder is on D drive.

Everything will render to green lines atop timeline (sometimes it quits during render and I have to keep hitting Enter to continue rendering, but eventually it's all green)

So far I've tried:

- Reinstalling PE 10

- Reinstalling Quicktime

- Copying all the photos to their own separate folder

- Editing each photo slightly (outside of PE 10) and resaving to make sure none of the photos are corrupted

- Emptying the temp folder

- Deleting all the renders and cache files and letting them rebuild

- Exporting small pieces of the timeline to try to identify a bad clip -- this is a maddening process and I did find one clip that would generate the error, but I managed to export that to AVI and reimport and replace on timeline.  It would be awfully nice if PE would just TELL ME which clip it doesn't like if in fact it's a clip error.

- Turning off the shadow / highlight feature I had on some clips, but this wasn't the issue, smaller sections with these clips exported fine

- Tried exporting to various formats: Vimeo SD, MPEG DV Standard, iPad Standard High Quality, AVI -- all result in the same error (the format I want by the way is Vimeo SD)

- Rebooting the machine and turning everything off that might possibly consume memory

This machine has never had problems exporting in the past.  One thing I did try that worked -- installed PE 10 on another (less capable) Win 7 machine, and fed it all the media via an external drive.  The other machine did the export fine (though it took a while given it is underpowered).  This is nothing more than a work around though as I don't normally have access to this machine and I'm not done editing.

I'm at my wits' end!  What else can I do to get this movie file to export?

Appreciate any help or clues you can provide to solve this mystery.

• 1. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will find best advice over on the video forum. Most of us here are photographers.

Click on the link below and copy and paste your question again. Good luck.

Video questions: Click here for Premiere Elements Forum

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
            Brett N Adobe Employee

Moved conversation to PRE forum

• 3. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For Error Compiling Movie, this article might be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/955857?tstart=30

This is not nearly enough free-space. If your Windows Virtual Memory Page File is dynamically managed, it is overflowing your C:\. At ~ 70% of capacity, performance drops. The closer that you get to capacity, the greater the chance for catastrophic failure. I would definitely clean up your C:\, and defrag it. With but 6GB free, I doubt that you could defrag now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

- Editing each photo slightly (outside of PE 10) and resaving to make sure none of the photos are corrupted

What is your Project's Preset, and what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of your Still Images? They should be about the size of the Frame Size of the Project, so about 1000 x 750 for an SD Project, and 2000 x 1500 for an HD Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Project and scrach disks are on D drive with 165 GB of free space.

Media files are on 2nd E drive with 50GB of free space.

Are those separate physical HDD's, or partitions?

Are they internal, or external, and if external, what is the connection?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Ouch! 6 gigs of free space on your C drive? That's probably the gist of the problem right there!

Clear off another 20 gigs of free space on your C and then defragment the drive and it's likely your problems with go away.

Assuming, of course, you resize your photos, per Bill's note.

• 7. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                      EJ Laurence Level 1

Bill,

The project is Standard DV 720x480.  The pictures vary but most are 2046x1536 or less.  I've never had issues with images of this size, and on many images I zoom in using the motion feature, so I would hate to reduce the resolution and wind up with a pixelated result.  I have one photo that was 5042x1383 (it was a stiched photo that I pan across) and it's been in there from day 1 of the edit and has never caused an export problem, and given that I'm panning it, I can't really reduce the size by much anyway and still have something decent left over.

I'll keep plugging away at this.  Eventually I'm sure I'll figure it out...!

Thanks,

Erik

• 8. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                        EJ Laurence Level 1

Bill, Greg -

Thanks for the responses.  This does give me another angle to pursue.

C is a 50GB partition on a 500GB hard drive with 6GB free.  D is a 40 GB partition on the same drive with 165GB free.  E is a 2nd drive.  Both drives are internal.  I do the best I can do keep apps from writing stuff to the C drive, and I understand that 6 GB is not as much as I'd like it to be, but there's nothing actually using that 6 GB while I'm editing or exporting.  It's not as if it starts ticking down to 5 GB, 4 GB, 3 GB etc.  It stays at a solid 6 GB free the whole time, so it doesn't seem like virtual memory is swapping in and out of there.  I'll do what I can to free up a little more space (though I don't have any good options, it's nearly all program files not data), and the system won't let me change the partition size either.  The drives are all reported as "healthy" in the disk drive manager too.  Maybe I'll try reinstalling Premiere on D.

As for the photos, I zoom in on several of them.  If I make them smaller, those zoom ins will start to look crappy.  And seeing that the other machine handled them fine, I can't believe that's the problem.

Erik

• 9. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Partitions are not good for video editing... Partition = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

As far as I know, unless you have modified the program's default, some C drive space is used for temporary files

• 10. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                            EJ Laurence Level 1

Bill, Greg -

Despite being a non-believer that having more space on C would help (as per my earlier comment) I took your advice and cleaned up C as much as I could by deleting a variety of (what I hope was) unneeded app data, program files etc. and got it up to 15 GB free.  Then I exported again and.... SUCCESS!!

So thanks VERY MUCH for your advice -- you guys are geniuses and you really saved me here.

Fortunately, I didn't need to also resize the photos.

Erik

• 11. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                              EJ Laurence Level 1

John,

This is very good to know.  It makes perfect sense and I'm sure it didn't help having the program on one partition and the project on another of the same disk.  I managed to solve the problem by deleting unnecessary crap from my C partition.  For the next go around, I'll make sure to avoid partitions.

Thanks,

Erik

• 12. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)

(1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 60Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 13. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                  EJ Laurence Level 1

Sounds like a solid set up.  Do you have any issues with Premiere with that set up or does that make it pretty much bullet proof?

• 14. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!

Well... I am a home hobbyist, editing AVCHD MTS files from a Canon Vixia HFS100... and sometimes MP4 files from my wife's FlipHD... with very few effects (not trying to recreate Star Wars) and output to DVD (nobody I know has a BluRay player, so when I inflict (er... share) my work with friends and relatives, a DVD works just fine

I have had ZERO problems with CS5 and the work I do... my complete system is linked in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

Oh... and, of course, DV AVI from old analog tapes, digitized with a WinXP dual boot and an old Pinnacle DV500 card

• 15. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                      EJ Laurence Level 1

I'm just a home hobbyist too, though I come from a family of editors (my dad had a Moviola in the basement when I grew up).  I'm done editing anything big for a while, but if I start another big project, I'll definitely aim to have a setup more like yours...

• 16. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That file size, while a bit larger than needed, should not be a show-stopper.

I go with the exact pixel x pixel dimensions, that I need, and if I will want a Pan, on a Zoomed out Image, will calculate that movement, and then size the Images to just what I need, including cropping off, say extra vertical pixels. That keeps things at a minimalist level for performance.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are needs for free-space, beyond what we usually think and see, such as a dynamically managed Page File. Unless one is monitoring things closely, they never are aware of it expanding and contracting.

As my computers are built and set up with Video editing in mind, I always initially set up a static Page File, when I ONLY have the OS installed. I test its location, i.e. on separate HDD's (always physical for me, with no Partitions), and maybe even spanning a couple. I then set it to be statically managed, meaning that it is always created at bootup, in the same space, and at the same size - always. Since I am still using 32-bit OS, I create that Page File at about 2.5x my installed RAM, so 10GB. With a 64-bit OS and much more installed RAM, that 2.5x factor would be reduced, and probably greatly.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting success,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree. John T's I/O setup is an ideal, until one gets into really heavy-duty editing, such as with RED 4-5K footage, but one will not be using PrE for that. A solid 3x physical HDD I/O is about as good as it gets. For performance enhancement (but maybe not ones, that you will even notice), one could do RAID Arrays for media, Export and Scratch Disks (one RAID 0 for each, for instance), but they will likely not get all that much bank-for-the-buck, however there WILL be additional improvement. It would be like paying US$325K for a Lexus LFA, and then modifying it to the "full-race" version for another US$3M: http://www.lexus.com/LFA/. It WILL be faster, and handle better, but at what price?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

(my dad had a Moviola in the basement when I grew up).

Now you're talking MY language. I grew up with a sync block, viewer and hand rewinds, then moved up to a Moviola 8 plate flatbed editor, but did not have that in my basement. Oh those were the days, when I could hold up my film to the light, and see the frames...

Hunt

• 20. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!

My very first home video work was with super8 tape... hand cut (I did have a "sprocket bed" to hold the film in place while gluing or taping the ends together) to make a "full length" movie

I can't remember now (lost in the mists of time) but I think my camera was hand cranked, not battery operated

I prefer the SD memory card and CS5

• 21. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I prefer the SD memory card and CS5

Ah you "youngsters." Always going with the easy way!

No, considering what I tried to do on film, vs what I can do with digital video on my laptop, other than for nostalgic reasons, I can never imagine going back.

Hunt

• 22. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                                    EJ Laurence Level 1

Okay, Lexus LFA -- I'll go pick one up this weekend.  Seems like a good car to take to the supermarket.  I hear it has Premiere Pro built into the dashboard.  And with the new auto-drive feature from Google, you can edit on your way to work.  But don't try rendering while changing lanes, as that could lead to a "crash."  Hopefully they'll get that sorted. 

Wow, 8 plate Moviola -- that's serious!  Ours was only a 6 plate.  And it was far from immune to problems.  Once a fuse or something in one of the servo motors blew, and the sprocket drive wheels for the film took off in reverse at about light speed -- a whole reel of film was transferred from the reel to floor in about 30 seconds before we could unplug the darn thing -- definitely not a "fail safe" design.  My dad dreamed of having a Steinbeck which was apparently more reliable.  Hard to imagine then that now it's possible to do everything a Moviola could do and more from a laptop computer (though I'm not recommending a laptop configuration)!

• 23. Re: Can't Export Movie - Unknown Compile Error - Help!
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh, that is tragic!

I never had any issues with mine. Maybe it knew how respectful I was, having come from manual rewinds and a sync block? The Moviola was a godsend, at least for me. I am glad that I got to edit film, and on many setups, as some of that translated well to digital Video. Back when I was in film school, Video was 2" tape, and the only editing was by cutting at a 45 degree angle, and splicing the tape. There was not even deck-to-deck editing, way back then. Also, Video looked like crap, at least to my eyes. We could only use a switcher, to "edit," or do a feed to air. Looked like crap!

As for the Lexus, I can imagine all sorts of problems. My new LX-570 requires me to "Accept," when I put it into reverse, on the rear-view monitor! At least my wife's MB does not require that, but it is a 2011 model, so maybe the 2013 models will require that the user sign off on all sorts of "stuff."

Now, I can play Finding Nemo, for my rear-seat passengers, while driving, but the front-seat passengers cannot see it, which is just fine. When driving, I am not even a fan of hands-free calls, and declined most of the streaming stock quotes, etc. for XM/Sirius radio. NOT while I am driving. I will save that for reading the WSJ in the club at the airport.

Some years ago, our driver in London got a new BMW 7-series, and it allowed the playing of DVD's, even in the front, while driving. Not sure that I would want that, but such is life. At least his seats' ventilation system was "well-chilled," where ours' are just air. He almost froze my bum, showing off his new auto.

Now, working with PS, or PrE in an auto, or even on a mobile device, is just not something that I can wrap my old head around. I want a fast computer, with a big display, and cannot imagine editing Images, or Video, on any handheld (or auto) device.

Hunt