17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2013 11:18 AM by Jim_Simon

Working with offline clips

community help Level 1
        • 1. Re:  Working with offline clips
          TheSailingChannel.TV Level 1

*****BUG*****

I'd like to re-linking to MTS files with CS6 Premier using MAC Mountain Lion. This becomes an issue when you are opening a project file sent to you by a collaborator and both of you have the same footage each computer but located on different drives. This requires re-linking the media to match the location on your drive.

1. With the latest update of Mountain Lion, MAC now packages the AVCHD file structure into a single file called AVCHD (with a QuickTime logo).

2. In a standard MAC finder, you can now open this file to reveal all your MTS clips as thumbnails viewable in QuickTime - nice for a quick look at your footage withou having to open it a separate app.

3. You can also right click on the AVCHD file and "Show package contents". This gives you acces to the complete AVCHD file structure down to individual MTS files in the Stream folder.

4. However, when you are within CS6 Premier and need to re-link a file on the timeline or media browser you are stymied by the AVCHD file.

5. When you try to re-link using the Premier finder window (which looks a lot like a MAC finder window but with extra buttons) you see the AVCHD file. If you try to open it, you get a file type not supported. If you try to open the package (as described above) the only option you get is "Quick Look".

6. Currently, the only work-around I'm aware of is to rename the AVCHD file in the MAC finder window to anything else. This breaks the connection to QuickTime and allows you access to the full directory structure (you also need to rename the BDMV file to anything else).

7. Now you can re-link files from the Premier timeline since you can drill down to individual MTS files. However, because the AVCHD naming convention starts file names with 00000.MTS for every directory, you need some hint as to WHICH directory the file on the timeline comes from.

8. Also, with this work-around, you have to manually re-link each file. Premier will not pickup other files in the path.

9. I also experimented with renaming the directory back to AVCHD. This does restore the QuickTime icon but not the functionality. Apparently initial renaming breaks a fork that naming it back to AVCHD does not automatically restore. There is probably away to get the fork back, but I haven't found it yet.

10. We updated from Snow Lepeord to latest Mountain Lion as part of our transition from Final Cut Studio 2 and FCP7. We liked the ability to view MTS clips natively in MAC finder. It wasn't until the re-linking requirement that we discovered this flaw.

I've reported this to Adobe support and they have confirmed the problem.They are researching it.

In my opinion, the programmers need to add file drill down capability to the Premier link window as the solution.

This problem has probably arisen due to Mountain Liion's latest update that packages the AVCHD directory. Premier hasn't caught up to that update.

• 2. Re:  Working with offline clips
            jedokie Level 1

This seems a really STUPID discussion about "Offline clips" when you haven't given the definition. I have my timeline full of red offline clips the same size as the clips on my project and I have NO idea how they got there!! That is very annoying and you don't make it easy to find out what they are and how to get rid of them or explain where they came from and why. This program is very poor to find answers to common questions from people like me trying to learn your program!!!! It is very frustrating!!

• 3. Re:  Working with offline clips
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Post your questions in the forum below.

There are a lot of people there who are eager to help you.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current?view=discussions&start=0&nu mResults=30

• 4. Re:  Working with offline clips
                shooternz Level 6

@jwhayhurst

You only have to ask the question to find out what you want to know...or you could take a look atthe Help File...or you could take a basic video tutorial...!

Meantime...

How about asking " Why do I have Offline clips in my timeline and my project window"?

• 5. Re:  Working with offline clips
                  Mandla Bolekaja Level 1

Why do I have offline clips in my timeline?  I open my project one day and every asset is online.  I open it up the next day and some video and audio clips are offline.

Any answers?

Thanks

• 6. Re:  Working with offline clips
                    chande a k Level 1

How to edit Offline file..? If the file is offline, can you see the video on programme monitor, what about audio., can I hear audio of offli9ne file.?.   This question, because I still cant understand the concept of offline editing, please excuse.

• 7. Re:  Working with offline clips
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The word 'offline' has two meanings here.  When PP says a file is offline, it means it can't find that file, so it can't play it or otherwise work with it.

In the second sense of the word, 'offline editing' means working with a low resolution proxy file, whereas 'online editing' means editing with the original file, or at least a full quality copy of the original.  The terms originate back when commuter power was insufficient to handle the original, full quality media, so editors would edit 'offline' proxy files, which were easier to work with.  When the editing was done, the editor would switch out the proxy files for the originals and perform the final export.

While Premiere Pro can be used as an offline editor, it doesn't have a perfectly streamlined work flow in place for doing so.  Premiere Pro has always been geared towards 'online editing', meaning working with the original media, and this is how the vast majority of people use it.  So whenever you see the term 'offline' when speaking about Premiere Pro, it almost certainly means the first thing - PP can't find the file.

• 8. Re:  Working with offline clips
                        chande a k Level 1

Thank you Jim for the explanation. Now I would like to know Is it possible to edit my AVCHD Video file in LOW RESOLUTION., if yes how to convert my AVCHD file into low resolution and what will be the file size.

Generally I get about 3h 16 mts recording on my 32gb card. if I conver it into low resolution what will be file size

• 9. Re:  Working with offline clips

Generally I get about 3h 16 mts recording on my 32gb card. if I conver it into low resolution what will be file size

That depends on the format used.

Why do you want to convert?

You cannot edit mts (your machine is not powerfull enough?)

or you have a lack of hdd space?

The former will still give you problems when swapping the low resolution files for the original and then having to export.

If its the latter get a larger hdd.

• 10. Re:  Working with offline clips
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

if I conver it into low resolution what will be file size

Resolution has no direct impact on file size.  Bitrate and duration are the two key parameters.

Like I said, PP isn't really geared towards offline editing.  I recommend solving whatever problem makes you want to convert.

• 11. Re:  Working with offline clips
                              chande a k Level 1

I recommend solving whatever problem makes you want to convert.

Thank you Ann, and Jim for valuable guidance you are providing in helping solve the problem.

One thing, my window machine is quite powerful, and I can edit and make Blu_Ray disk very fast. But unfortunately very recently through mistake I had deleted my ninety mts of Video., which I could not recover,

Now I have made a point to Keep my original HD Video file in different computer for future backup and will keep safely for some months and in another computer  in which   I am  editing and preparing DVD/BD. After the project has been finished I want to replace HD Video file in the project with low BITRATE one  alongwith project . .In this way I can keep many projects and if need arise I can safely re-edit the material

Generally my projects are of about sixty seventy mts. duration.. What you suggest.

• 12. Re:  Working with offline clips

If your machine can handle mts edit native. Saves you a lot of hassle.

Keeping a copy of your files on a different hdd is good practice.

• 13. Re:  Working with offline clips
                                  chande a k Level 1

Ann Bens wrote:

If your machine can handle mts edit native

Yes Ann this is what I am doing now without any problem. But after the incident mentioned earlier. I have to be wiser and keep back up separetly in another computer. and HD files require considerable HDD space. and keeping them for longer period of time requires additional  hard disk.

Anyhow, what I was thinking also requires lot of addition work and time consuming.  Today as a trial. I converted my `1 hour HD video to Cineform  low quality 80.8 Mbps this took about  seventyfive mts time  file size little more than 35 gb., and same one hour of HD video I converted to H-264 `full HD size 2 bitrate this was only `1 gb mp4 this convertion  took 30 mts.  time

I  rough edited my cineform.avi  file and after editing replaced with .mp4 in single click by replacing the file in project upto this works  fine.  But main problem started when I  tried to export cineform project for  H-264 bluray it took more than 5 hours about

more than twice the time it generally take., as such I have dropped the idea.   Thank you all for proper guiding in this matter.

• 14. Re:  Working with offline clips
                                    nw42 Level 2

"...After the project has been finished I want to replace HD Video file in the project with low BITRATE one  alongwith project..."

MPEG Transport Streams (MTS) files from camera are highly compressed and have a really small file size. Any file format you could transcode them to would either have a higher bitrate or lower quality then the original.

Compare them for example to 200Mbps DNXHD MOV or Cineform low quality at 80Mbps and you know what I mean...

But I don't get your problem right:

You say: "...Generally I get about 3h 16 mts recording on my 32gb card..."

So You can store about 375h original MTS footage on a cheap exteral 4TB HDD.

Space for lot's of projects I assume? ;-)

If you had to backup 2K unc. DPX files with 1480Mbps you only would get about 6h to a 4TB HDD.

That would be a situation to think about a Cineform transcode or something like that.

To all you MTS editors out there: You are the lucky ones with the smallest sized footage of all! Be happy and think about the ones that have to deal with DPX, TIFF or CinemaDNG...

• 15. Re:  Working with offline clips
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

After the project has been finished I want to replace HD Video file in the project with low BITRATE one

That's a bad idea.  Always keep the originals - in two locations.  If you need more space, buy it.

• 16. Re:  Working with offline clips
                                        chande a k Level 1

Thank you Jim, and nw42, for your valued guidance on the subject., as already said, I have dropped this idea since it takes lot of time in conversion., and exporting the High Bitrate project.

nw42, can you throw some more light on how to convert my AVCHD Video to DPX or Tiff.   This is because some time ago my client wanted to Project his event in BIG CINEMA Hall for a gathering of about 300 people. In trial run projected Image look very poor., Projector was old and had only RCA audio/video as input., as such they asked me either to give them material on DVD or DPX or TGA format.

I tried to export from my BD project for DPX and TGA, apart from the file size which I could manage,since these are still frames  there was no audio., as such I had to rely on DVD and  this was a flop show.

I also got valuable suggestion from this forum to use USB drive with movie file and attache this to projector and I will get better acceptable quality., ofcourse I got very good quality but  USB drive has short coming it can write upto 4 gb., and I had a break of 4/5 and this is annoying., is there any other alternative..?  Your suggestion will be welcomed

Thanks

• 17. Re:  Working with offline clips
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Blu-ray, of course, is probably the most common HD delivery format.

You could try formatting the thumb drive as exFAT instead of FAT32.  This would allow files over 4GB, but the device you plug the drive into may not recognize it as exFAT, so experiment.