7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 12:52 PM by Peter Spier

How come Indesign crashes?

LennyFenton Level 1

I've tried to install InDesign C6 three times, and it crashes each time.  Illustrator loads and runs properly, but InDesign crashes immedidately.  Have unintalled and reinstalled.

Any ideas?  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on a desktop.

• 1. Re: How come Indesign crashes?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you. You need to provide more info about your system and the relevant parts from your system's Event Viewer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How come Indesign crashes?
            LennyFenton Level 1

Okay, I’ll try.

The error log says” faulting application name” InDesign.ext, version 8.0.0.370.  Event 1000, level Error.  Source: Application Error.  Task Category: (100). Locale ID: 1033.  The entire log is excerpted below:

My system is a Velocity Micro desktop running Windows 7, 64 bit.

What else can I report on for you?

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          8/29/2012 10:03:58 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      VelocityMicro

Description:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 8.0.0.370, time stamp: 0x4f72c3ee

Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.325, time stamp: 0x4df2be1e

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x0008d6fd

Faulting process id: 0x1144

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd866cce3ad35e

Faulting application path: J:\Programs\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVCR100.dll

Report Id: 1ade75e3-f260-11e1-988a-0015f283d905

Event Xml:

<Removed by Moderator>

• 3. Re: How come Indesign crashes?
              Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the InDesign forum and have removed your personal info as this is a public forum.  Can you also post what you have tried so far to resolve your difficulties?

• 4. Re: How come Indesign crashes?
                LennyFenton Level 1

Thank you, Jeff!

I've tried a few things so far.  I've tried re-installing several times.  I've tried removing the files, downloading again, and reinstalling.  I've tried reinstalling to the C drive (I prefer to runon the J drive; my C drive is getting full).  I've tried (at the advice of a techie at Adobe) to download the standalone version of INDesign, rather than as part of the Creative Suite. and install it.  Nothing works.

Photoshop was also installed during this trial install process, and it loads and runs just fine.

It looks liek the program is conflicintg with something else, possibly an Adobe component somehwere in my computer.  It loads up, and even shows the InDesign file I tried to open that someone sent to me for review,, it loads the window that asks me to confirm the trial continuation or buy now,  but before anything else happens I get the Windows error message about the crash.

I've spent 8 or 10 hours on this already just last night and today, and I'm tearing my hair out. 

• 5. Re: How come Indesign crashes?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Windows doesn't tell us much that's useful in a crash report. Does it run if you creat a new user account? If not, how about if you install in in C:\Program files(x86)\?

I'd also suggest that you run the clean tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) before reinstalling, and I'd go a step further after that and run msConfig to swith int diagnostic mode and turn off all the unneceesary startup programs and services, especially anti-virus and malware scanners, browser helpers and toolbars, flash player, iTunes and any messenger programs.

• 6. Re: How come Indesign crashes?
                    LennyFenton Level 1

Hi, Peter!  I did install in that location on c, and no luck.  I didn't create a new user account, but the account seems to work okay for Photoshop.  Do you think I should try?

• 7. Re: How come Indesign crashes?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Trying a new user account is a way to verify if the problem is in the applcation or the user data, so yes.

Did you run the clean tool? At this point you may have a lot of garbage stuck in the registry that is preventing the installation form goring correctly no matter how many times or where you try.