1 2 3 Previous Next 544 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2018 10:53 PM by lukes5815886

Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)

LarrySmith1000 Level 1

Why not? So many Adobe users must use Windows soly for Adobe.  Google is 100% Ubuntu users.  They seem pretty on top of things.  Why not follow?

Market share not making it worth it to you Adobe?  Not many people travel by train before rails are laid.  Do it adobe.  Prove yourself hip to the scene.

• 3. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
          eddieprislac Level 1

David__B

Referring people asking for Linux support to a 3rd-party forum isn't going to make us go away. I pay for your product, and there are many other Linux users out there who do the same, or would, if they had native support. Having to run a VM  (and consequently, pay for a windows license we will never use for anything else) because we can't even get your product running in Wine (the windows emulation layer for Linux) is just ridiculous.

7 people found this helpful
          • 4. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
            Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

@sf76 - David was not trying to brush you off. Adobe is aware that there are many customers and potential new customers who would like to see our products run on Linux. There are many Adobe employees who would love to see this. Currently this is not a reality but do continue to make your voice heard. The Get Satisfaction page David pointed you to is one place to make your voice heard.

• 5. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
              eddieprislac Level 1

No rudeness intended, Ken, it's just frustrating to have to pull up a

virtual machine every time I want to do any sort of graphics work. My job

is half split between coding (which I find loads easier on linux, as I can

have all my native apache/php/mysql/ruby/java/tomcat stuff sitting right

where I can get at it, virtual directories where I can actually access and

edit documents, virtual desktops, etc...) and graphics. Currently, besides

Visual Studio, which I am using solely for TFS as even MS Office and .net

MVC4 run on Linux now, Adobe CS6 is the only reason I keep Windows around.

5 people found this helpful
              • 6. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                Phopojijo Level 1

Also, Adobe is trying to promote Creative Cloud.

Painless portability between platforms with access to the most current versions available would be a very compelling reason to upgrade an old standalone license and switch to a subscription plan.

• 7. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                  shouldntneedthis Level 1

Theres something else here. There have been a few posted promises for linux support "soon" which have gon unfulfilled. There is a very large demographic you have chosen not to sell to. Worst of all, while the old versions worked with wine, CC will not until you support it. So, your not just fingers-in-ears ignoring a quickly growing demographic, your actually losing previous cusotomers. Personally lack of Adobe support for linux is the ONLY thing that has kept my desktop windows, while I have two laptops and 16 servers all running Ubuntu. It's absurd, and to be honest I am now looking for alternatives to your programs (after over 15 years of loyalty) because Im just tired of it.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 8. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                    torianoburney Level 1

Hopefully my comment throws some weight. I agree with the chap's thread to revolutionize the availability of Adobe's brand. I personally predict that Unbutu will become the number one boutique platform for developers and designers alike.

I say do it and I am well over 6 figures deep in this conversation !

Unbutu fan

Toriano

• 9. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                      rsoucy Level 1

14,000 people voting for linux support on the getsatisfaction site

x $50 / month for Creative Cloud

= $700,000 / monthly revenue

It's certainly true that not everyone who voted for it will pay for CC, but think of the thousands of linux users who haven't voted on that page who will.

If I could have the Adobe apps I need for work on linux, I could finally stop using windows.

• 10. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                        lhodaniel Level 1

BTW, before I am banned, I have purchased every upgrade to PS since 4.0 and every version of LR since 1.0. Take that to the cloud.

• 11. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                          LarrySmith10000 Level 1

Hey David,

I'm back nearly a year later.  Any progress on this?

Can you offer another, more robust, venue to make our message more powerful?  It seems we broke the website you referred to within 1 month of your comment.  It received too many comments (well over 10,000) to continue servicing the thread.

Why don't you encourage the discussion here on your servers?

I must ask.  Is Adobe concerned about making money?  Perhaps these linux users should find a way to get our message directly to shareholders.

This has been a high demand issue for over 3 years, and still no word of any plan to meet that demand.

Ryan

• 12. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                            shouldntneedthis Level 1

Im getting a pretty clear picture here. Customer response has been overwhelming on this issue, in fact Id guess you guys havent ever had a single issue garner more support than linux versions, and yet, after years of overloading the feedback paths you provide, there's not a single response either confirming or denying your intent to persue it. You have even stated that your OWN PEOPLE want to see it happen, and yet you cannot simply say 'yes, were working on it', or at the very least have the courtesy to say 'no, we dont care if you want it, we wont make it.'

Well, I have put off the shift of both my personal workstations, as well as my design team's, to an ubuntu platform (which every other computer in the company runs) for this, and ONLY this reason. No more. It has cost us considerable time and money, as well as added frustration to have split platforms and cater to M$'s exentricities JUST so that they can continue to run your software. At the end of the quarter we have decided to switch platforms on the remaining computers. If Adobe doesn't release a linux version by then we will be going with a patchwork suite or replacements (ie gimp, inkscape, synfig, nvu, etc). I would absolutely stipulate that they are inerior products, but THEY RUN ON LINUX. We would have no problem paying the same ammount, even slightly more, for a linux creative cloud, but we have waited far too long for any definative response on the matter.

Not threatened by losing 22 counts? That's fine, its not intended as a threat, just feedback on a reality that many of your customers have encountered. What you SHOULD consider, though, is that if your hearing this from me here, how many other customers DONT know about this thread, or wont bother taking the time to post feedback to you? Ive been a loyal customer since 1998, and TBH I love your programs, I have worked with and know a few of your employees personally (who, as you said, are frustrated about this as well), and even considered working for Adobe in the past, but I just cannot justify forcing an M$ platform for small portions of my company while we wait on this any longer. Its actually worth the learning curve for our designers, and possibly losing a couple, thats how serious this is.

• 13. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                              LarrySmith10000 Level 1

SEND YOUR MESSAGE TO SHARE HOLDERS BLOGS, NOT TECH BLOGS!!!

If you want to get Adobe's attention, don't contact the insiders, contact the share holders.

To do that, take your comments to Wall Street news stories comments about Adobe Business.  If everyone that finds this thread searches Google for a current news story about ADBE, like "ADBE market news", and posts a comment on the news story about Adobe ignoring a large potential source of revenue, you can indirectly get the attention of Adobe through the shareholders.

If it is greed that drives them, threaten their cookie jar.

I posted my first here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/cloud-transition-is-better-for-customers-adobe-ceo-PpJH8yzt TLWdnUWobP41Vg.html

• 14. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                rcwendorf Level 1

I'm a little curious myself to see if y'all have made any headway on this.  Thanks Adobe!   I love CS6 and would love to see it play nice with my favorite Linux Operating System.

• 15. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                  shouldntneedthis Level 1

no, unfortunately as far as I can tell they not only have not given an definative reply, they stopped acknowledging the requests all together about 6 months ago. As you can see at the top they asked people to go to basically a petition type site, which was then flooded by "signatures". I think they assumed that would soak up the feedback like a sponge and they wouldnt have to deal with it. For the life of me I have no idea why a company would ignore such an overwhealming outcry from its customers. It honestly feels like the folks with any contact to the community dont have any pull in the matter, and they people who do are just completely disinterested. Happens often, so the powerless folks speaking to the community just insert fingers to ears so they (understandably) dont really have anything they can say constructive. At least, thats what it feels like from my POV

• 16. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                    shouldntneedthis Level 1

If your curious HOW out of touch they are, heres a few things a quick google drags up:

1. in 2010 computerworld reported that canonical (Ubuntu) processesed surveys of their users and found Adobe software (PS in particular) as the SECOND most desired software for linux users! What's first? Skype, and it has since produced a linux version, leaving Adobe at the top, fingers deep in those ears.

2. in 2010 OMGubuntu had a 'lets get adobe on ubuntu' camplaign https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/produce_creative_suite_for_linux

3. In 2011 the campaign got a response from Adobe employee Carey Burgess, which amounted to a shuffle-step 'we heard you, please stop sending feedback' and that it is "definately on the radar" (one would THINK that was an affermative, one should think again)

4. According to getSatisfaction employees, the site was setup to oroginally handle issues with 100 or less followers, so the petition was closed.

5. Aug 2012 David___B from Adobe directed people in this thread to instead 'be heard' at the closed-for-over-a-year getSatisfaction.com site for this issue.

6. When they recieved massive complaints that the issue stopped tracking after 100 followers, they opened up the limits. Theres a nice post from one of their employees explaining that when they opened it up they immediately had over 10k followers, and OVER A MILLION EMAILS IN SUPPORT OF IT IN ONE DAY!!!. So they again closed the issue (Im guessing someone over there had to change their shorts).This was 7 months ago,

7. GetSatisfaction started a new thread on the same topic. Its slower growing as it is semi hidden and all links go to the locked thread, but you should consider posting there as well. Why would they do this? presumably because the first post acts as a sort of filter ("THIS THREAD IS CLOSED" (then in tiny text in a reply) click here for the other thread). Sounds sneaky, but it works. Heres the updated link:

https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/creative_suite_for_linux_thread_2

no response I can find from Adobe on the matter since.

• 17. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                      LarrySmith10000 Level 1

Apparently David was trying to brush us off, because it didn't seem to matter how many people responed to getsatisfaction.  We broke the site with the number of responses, and still nothing from Adobe.

AGAIN, EVERYBODY

SEND YOUR MESSAGE TO SHARE HOLDERS BLOGS, NOT TECH BLOGS!!!

Businesses could careless about what users want, unless it affects the interests of the share holders.  If you want Creative Cloud on Linux, tell the shareholders to pull the plug.

• 18. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                        escaped.light Level 1

Adobe on Linux would not only be smart business wise, but it would be smart tech wise as well.

As any linux user knows very well, Linux's strongest aspect is it's extremely low resource use, which in terms of working with high resolution graphics and video, means more of my valuable processor and ram to dedicate to my work. With the way Microsoft is continuing on their dictatorial tirade of hardware dominance with each new release of Windows, by the time we get to Windows 10 they will have found a host of new services and background processes to use up the last of our available resources... just to run the bloody operating system. That's all well and great if fancy animated toolbars, alpha blending, shadowing and "candy" are what you are looking for when browsing files on a cluttered desktop, but I don't need or want it. I bought my hardware to do real work with.

It should also be said that I, or we (Adobe fans), have always viewed Adobe as being the pinacle of PC software and as being "ahead of the curve" so to speak, so it should be taken as very serious news around the Adobe water cooler and the board room that near the end of last year, game makers Valve breached the linux barrier with gaming and that soon after, Blizzard and THQ confirmed they are on their way to linux compatibility. These are the de facto leaders in the gaming industry who represent the pinacle of gaming software. We watch them to see ahead of the curve, and ahead of the curve is linux.

Some of you may look at the number of Linux users and think you're going to be dealing with a small minority, and while that may hold true today, but it's not because the OS is bad, it's because software giants like Adobe and our favorite game developers are helping to hold up the monopoly of Windows, which is a bad OS for any serious professional. The crazy thing is, Adobe holds the key to changing the entire face of computing, because a fully compatible Creative Suite on Linux would cause a massive and unmistakable exodus of users away from Windows. I'd even be willing to take a high stakes bet on that.

So, c'mon Adobe, stay ahead of the curve. Let us combine the power of your software with the full power of our hardware under an OS that makes that dream a reality.

Please!

• 19. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                          clintbohaty Level 1

I just wanted to add myself to the growing list of Adobe subscribers who would prefer to use Linux OS!

• 20. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                            ralphroberts Level 1

yes Linux is the future!

• 21. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                              mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

It is oxymoron to ask for CC for Linux because by definition, and by concept, most things are free in Linux and Adobe is not in that sort of business.

It is non-starter here.

• 22. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                Phopojijo Level 1

They're not asking for "no-cost Creative Cloud on Linux". They (and I) want to pay the same subscription rates as everyone else, just use it on a free (as in both beer and, the progressively more important, speech) operating system.

Claiming that Linux users do not want to pay for Adobe software requires some pretty big horse-blinders, because you're in the middle of a discussion full of people who want to pay for Adobe software on Linux.

It really makes as much sense as saying, "there will never be open-source software on Windows because by definition, and by concept, it is proprietary". It really does not make any sense and yet so many people honestly, genuinely, think that. It really does boggle me.

• 23. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                  mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Phopojijo wrote:

They're not asking for "no-cost Creative Cloud on Linux". They (and I) want to pay the same subscription rates as everyone else, just use it on a free (as in both beer and, the progressively more important, speech) operating system.

There is no justification to create a department to develop Linux Applications because Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics.  Adobe is making products for businesses.  Mind should boggle if Adobe, Microsoft and Apple starts developing products for Linux boxes because that is the first step for harakiri for senior executives.

• 24. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                    Phopojijo Level 1

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Phopojijo wrote:

There is no justification to create a department to develop Linux Applications because Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics.  Adobe is making products for businesses.  Mind should boggle if Adobe, Microsoft and Apple starts developing products for Linux boxes because that is the first step for harakiri for senior executives.

1. Adobe makes software for hobbyists and academics, as well as businesses.
                                                    2. Microsoft and Apple are, both, very different companies relative to Adobe.
                                                    3. Businesses could want to move to Linux if they are upset with Apple (Final Cut/Mac Pro debacle) and Microsoft (Windows 8), provided that their workflow does not need to change too much... especially if they have more confidence that Linux will not pull a sharp-turn that Microsoft and Apple are capable of and have recently demonstrated they, both, may do at any point.

Horse blinders.

• 25. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                      mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Adobe makes software for hobbyists and academics, as well as businesses.

Not for hobbyists.

Microsoft and Apple are, both, very different companies relative to Adobe.

In what way?  They are all in the business of making money. They are not making software for the sake of pleasure and enjoyment of their employees and users.  They want to make money.  If CC is not successful, I bet the desktop versions will be back on the agenda for Adobe and Microsoft (for their cloud products).

Businesses could want to move to Linux if they are upset with Apple (Final Cut/Mac Pro debacle) and Microsoft (Windows 8), provided that their workflow does not need to change too much... especially if they have more confidence that Linux will not pull a sharp-turn that Microsoft and Apple are capable of and have recently demonstrated they, both, may do at any point.

People have been saying this for decades but nothing has changed.  Windows' market share keeps going up and up.  There is nothing wrong with Windows 8;  The people are lazy to learn new ways of doing things.  If windows was designed like Windows 8 way back in 1980s then people won't be reluctant to adopt it as their main OS.  In any case they said the same thing about Windows XP, and Windows 7 but these two OSs have been the most popular ever.

Anyway I have finished saying what I wanted to say and I'll leave this with you to continue with this thread because I am sure there are many people here who are Linux fanatics like you.

• 26. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                        Phopojijo Level 1

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Adobe makes software for hobbyists and academics, as well as businesses.

Not for hobbyists.

Microsoft and Apple are, both, very different companies relative to Adobe.

In what way?  They are all in the business of making money. They are not making software for the sake of pleasure and enjoyment of their employees and users.  They want to make money.  If CC is not successful, I bet the desktop versions will be back on the agenda for Adobe and Microsoft (for their cloud products).

Businesses could want to move to Linux if they are upset with Apple (Final Cut/Mac Pro debacle) and Microsoft (Windows 8), provided that their workflow does not need to change too much... especially if they have more confidence that Linux will not pull a sharp-turn that Microsoft and Apple are capable of and have recently demonstrated they, both, may do at any point.

People have been saying this for decades but nothing has changed.  Windows' market share keeps going up and up.  There is nothing wrong with Windows 8;  The people are lazy to learn new ways of doing things.  If windows was designed like Windows 8 way back in 1980s then people won't be reluctant to adopt it as their main OS.  In any case they said the same thing about Windows XP, and Windows 7 but these two OSs have been the most popular ever.

Anyway I have finished saying what I wanted to say and I'll leave this with you to continue with this thread because I am sure there are many people here who are Linux fanatics like you.

1. Why do you think they dropped the price to a recurring $50, with options for month to month? Hobbyists and Freelancers who work inconsistently (and are unsatisfied with Elements, another Adobe + Hobbyist example).
                                                        2. Adobe sells development tools primarily, Microsoft and Apple sells platforms primarily. Even Air and Flash are free for consumers.
                                                        3. I actually kind-of like the Windows 8 interface. I was actually developing software for the Windows Store. I, then, saw the Windows Store certification requirements (and, of course, the similar Xbox Live Arcade requirements) and got scared off. Stuck (/sticking) with Windows 7, with plans to move my development workflow to Linux with Windows 7 virtual machines. Have not made the jump yet, still waiting for rumors of GPU-accelerated VM capabilities of NVIDIA's upcoming Maxwell architecture to become confirmed or denied.
                                                        • 27. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                          shouldntneedthis Level 1

There is no justification to create a department to develop Linux Applications

except the fact that this one request has had overwhelming support, to the point that their request channels got clogged, they outsourced it, and we clogged THOSE channels to.

Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics.

WOW. I'd like to see you come up with anything at all supporting that claim. You many not be comfortable using it, but its actually hugely popular with the tech-literate crowd. Programmers, CS folks, etc etc. Win/Mac are really entry level OS's, and you are absolutely correct when you say

people are lazy to learn new ways of doing things

I'm pretty sure that is the Windows busness model in a nutshell. There's a free, more secure, more stable, more usable, more customizable OS just hanging on the tree waiting for you to take one, and yet folks are too lazy to do it cause its "new", so they plop down huge cash for the latest win-crap. You know, theres a reason why Apple caved in and based their modern OS's on Unix. Windows 8, by the way, is one of the leading forces driving the rise of Ubuntu adoption, and before you point out the 1.3% market share, let me remind you that Apple only has 7% and you consider it to be signifigant. No, linix is not the fashionista OS, or the 'Look, I made it on my mac!" os, its the OS of professionals and people who know what a computer is and what to do with it. Thats why my company, and many others, made a company wide switch. The ONLY thing holding us back is adobe insisting on winmac for designers, and thats just not enough reason anymore.

Windows' market share keeps going up and up

On the desktop. But, then, so do Ubuntu's. On mobile / tablet its ALL linux / unix, and on servers windows is a falling minority. (for good reason to). I know, CS is mainly USED on desktops, but Adobe keeps coming out with mobile apps and a huge portion of content being made is FOR mobile. Yup, IOS is still a biggie in mobile, but again, falling like a rock. 85% of sales were android, so that market lead of Apple's is old, decaying devices. Android has more apps available, and more made every day than IOS. Trend polls of highschool / college kids have repeatedly and consistantly returned the opinion 'Apple is dead' for two years now. PCMag, a historically pro-windows rag, suggests going ubuntu instead of win8, and Dell is even offering Ubuntu on it's laptops.

Final note: IMO Adobe should make a linux version not because there are legeons of new subscribers on linux unable to sign up, but because there are legions of non-linux using Adobe subscribers who are desperate to switch to Linux but are held back by Adobe. If this many of your customers want a new version, you would be stupid not to comply. Thats why Blizzard, Skype,

• 28. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                            VKPro Level 1

Add us to the list of members wanting to switch to Ubuntu OS but Adobe CC will make us keep windows.

Web developers would love to have Adobe tools run native in Linux as it is great for coding and site testing.

Even Dell now sells computers pre loaded with the Ubuntu OS and it is only getting bigger as more and more people get exposed to Linux through the Android OS.

If Adobe products can run on a Mac based system running tweaked Linux, then I don't see how much more of an issue it would be to get it to run on Ubuntu.

Please Adobe, help give your user base more options in their OS :-)

• 29. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                              escaped.light Level 1

"

It is oxymoron to ask for CC for Linux because by definition, and by concept, most things are free in Linux and Adobe is not in that sort of business.

It is non-starter here."

"because Nix boxes are mostly used by hobbyists and academics"

Hardly. Are you aware that the Unix/Linux based OS is what primarily runs the internet? There's a reason for that. It's because both the Unix and Linux kernels are more robust, easier to handle and don't claim all of your expensive RAM and Processor just to run themselves.

Linux is, by it's very nature, a more professional system than Windows or Mac.

Imagine you have two video cameras in front of you. One is a consumer camera and the other is a professional camera. Both will produce HD video and in most respects, both will achieve the end means of capturing motion images. But that's where it ends. The consumer camera, for starters, will have a lot of automatic functions, a fixed lens, and be nearly impossible to disassemble or upgrade. The professional camera will have mainly manual functions, a universal lens mount to use professional lenses with and will easily be disassembled or upgraded.

To say the least, Windows is the consummer operating system, full of automatic functions and sealed in plastic. This makes is great when I'm doing consumer stuff like buying stuff on ebay or playing a game, but when it comes down to performing and fitting my specific specialty needs, it fails.

If you've ever pushed any adobe product to it's limit (editing a 300dpi banner in Photoshop, or rendering a 4K video in Premiere or After Effects), you'd actually understand that Adobe running on Linux would be the professional's choice; hands down. For the professional, especially the video and visual effects editor, our computer isn't here to have a fancy toolbar, animated windows, a million "nanny" programs constantly popping up with some permission alert or update alert and another million "Services" running in the background that have absolutely nothing to do with our professional task at hand. My computer is here to run the Adobe Software, and the better it does that means a win for me and a win for Adobe.

Either way, Adobe is going to catch on and make Linux work for them, or a new contender is going to rise up and get the attention of indy filmmakers and those serious about using their computers as workhorses.

• 30. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                Xeon64 Level 1

I am a professional Designer. If Adobe made their software for Linux I would never use Windows or OS X again. I use both Windows and Mac OS X for design and OS X handles large files and runs Adobe Software way better than Windows. I supspect it is because of the UNIX core of OS X. I would expect it would run similar to OS X on Linux.

I suspect the real reason that Adobe will not make their software for Linux is because of Pressure from both Apple and Microsoft. Both of these companies have a lot of sway on other smaller companies. A similar situation was when Dell started to promote Linux machines and Michael Dell said he was intereste in selling Dells with OSX. Microsoft threatened Dell and would cut a lot of their business deals if Dell continued with Linux and persued the OSX option.

• 31. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                  CA-45 Level 1

I agree with the belief that Adobe programs would run better on Linux.  I am doing just fine with the Creative Cloud installed programs on my Windows 8 OS and SSD, but I would love to switch over to Linux.

• 32. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                    CCGo Level 1

Interesting. The staff didn't reply since over a year. It seems like they don't care about the Linux users because they will use Adobe on a VM or secondary computer with windows anyway.

I am looking for Adobe alternatives because of the Creative Cloud and I would like to change to Ubuntu after I read these posts I have got another argument why I should change away from Adobe!

• 33. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 9

Trend polls of highschool / college kids have repeatedly and consistantly returned the opinion 'Apple is dead'

http://www.psdblogs.ca/swong/files/2012/12/homer_woohoo-1nt7jm6.jpg

• 34. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                        shouldntneedthis Level 1

It seems like they don't care about the Linux users

Yes, thats becoming extreamely clear, which is why we left as well. There is good and bad news. There are a lot of linux programs which are comparable to the CC stuff. Honestly, Id still rather CC for linux in a heart beat, for two reasons, but not enough to go back to windows. First, while you can google 'linux alternative to XYZ' and get good and easy results, its one program here, one program there. There isnt really another unified (ish) suite to make it nice and easy. Second,  Im used to Adobe, and I (for the most part) really like Adobe.

I think youll find the linux alternatives way better than you might think. In many cases, once you get used to the differences (typically UI, not conceptual), most of the alternatives are as good as CC, some I would argue better. (and free). The designers I work with picked it up pretty quick, and after a fast weekend study were back up to speed on the new systems. I will say, however, that should Adobe take their head out of the sand we would still switch back. The cost of CC is not signifigant to a company, and I think it would remove the "you use what? i dont know that program" from hiring. (that said, GIMP, the PS alternative, is fairly well known).

Everyone has their own priorities, for us consistency in OS and cost reduction due to a more stable platform outweighed the comfort of Adobe, but IMO the one thing thats very clear is that there are legeons of people and companies who either want to switch to linux but dont because of Adobe, or who HAVE switched to linux, but would love to be able to still use CC.

• 35. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                          TZiady Level 1

I remember using Adobe Photoshop 1.3 on SGI graphic workstations and Ultra Sun Stations back in the early 90s. I highly support Adobe CC to become non-platform specific. Definitely think of including your application suite to google drive. I think you will get not only additional market share; but you will also show many other advanced main-stream applications that cloud computing is here to stay. Being able to have a very very simple PC with high end graphics and using the cloud for primary computing and storage is here to stay. It has gone full cycle. From cloud to local and back to cloud. The cloud is the answer. Google knows it, apple knows it, MS knows it, and Adobe knows it. Let's not go half way and let's get to where the platform / device / OS that you are using doesn't limit your choices but rather bolsters them. I love your products and always have sine I started using computers. I will always use your products always but I would love if your products allowed more access to more users. Also, this new world should have more of the companies (namely Google, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, and others) work in tandum rather in conflict. Service the clients and get into the niche where you excel without the corperate politcs.

Cheers,
                                                                          Tamer

• 36. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                            shouldntneedthis Level 1

Well, if you're talking about making a dumb-box version of CS I would be sceptical. Your either talking about running CS on adobe servers and basically screencasting which would have poor latency and require a constant and very consistent connection. Deal killers IMO. Even google is formatting their drive programs to function offline on chromebooks, so all they are really talking about is making everything browser based. But there's really no reason to do this for CS, though, as you are perfectly capable of runnin non-browser based software on chromebooks, and chromebooks are a chrome OS on top of......ubuntu! So, to all the naysayers our there, Not only has Ubuntu adoption more than doubled in the last few years, the TOP laptop seller on Amazon runs UBUNTU not win/mac. So, Adobe, its about time to actually do this. BTW, if you get in the chromebook / Ubuntu market you have the laptops with many times higher resolution than the win/mac croud, and if you dont think thats going to attract designers than you dont know your market. Also, consider that any touch screen laptop with a digitizer is going to allow stylus use right on the screen without some $3k wacom beast.

• 37. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                              TZiady Level 1

I am looking for the apps to work on multiple platforms. Yes, I agree that having a completely dumb client and the processing occuring remotely will cause some issues. However, with the increasing availability of bandwidth; something in the middle would be workable for sure. Anyway, I agree wiith most of what you state and would really love if Adobe went after this demographic. My main machine that I use for developing is only running windblows because of the CC application platform. I would love to migrate that machine to Linux soon!

• 38. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                                neekslowry Level 1

I posted a new thread titled "Porting Adobe Products to Linux, will it happen now that CC is a service and not a product?" This was my initial post:

I know the linux community has been fighting for years to get Adobe to port their products, and it was understandable they never did based on their yearly product cycle, how much work it would take/cost and the amount of end-users who would pay for it.  But since Adobe has now switched to a subscription based model, I don't see these same factors as holding them back from finally porting their products.

Being a front-end developer/designer, I find myself always wearing two sets of "toolbelts". I'd prefer a Linux OS for my local dev environment; but GIMP and Inkscape just don't match up to their Adobe counterparts. I've officially switched to a custom distro forked from Ubuntu called elementaryOS(
                                                                                http://elementaryos.org). It has the same attention to detail as Ubuntu in design, just more flexible and customizable. I imagine many Mac/Windows users in my same line of work would do the same if they could use their Adobe products.

After two weeks of trial and errors from a Windows virtual machine running on my pc(VMWare Unity Mode, RDP, Wine), I've decided to just have an additional "workspace" and keep windows on it fullscreen. It's the best I could come up with, but native integration would ideal.

--

Going a little off topic, I could ultimately see Adobe porting their apps to web apps before porting to linux. Is there any speculation or talk that this might happen?

• 39. Re: Creative Cloud for Linux (Ubuntu)
                                                                                  Xeon64 Level 1

I can not see web based Abobe Applications working. Esp with Photoshop, Premier Pro, and other intensive applications. I am currently working on a PS file that is 500mb. I am not going to wait for a file to be uploaded and downloaded across the web. I have enought trouble working across a LAN. Plus there is the added Bandwidth need and a security issue. I work with trade sensitive information that I do not want on an Adobe server.

Not to get all tinfoil hat like but all the recent NSA spying on use Citizens should make anyone question cloud based storage and applications. Right now the CC is not really cloud based. It is local software that requires a remote check-in to work.

2 people found this helpful
                                                                                  1 2 3 Previous Next