5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 7:45 AM by BlackF1re83

Multi-GPU on Mac with Thunderbolt

BlackF1re83

Good morning everyone

I have a MacBook Pro 15" of latest generation (not retina) with Premiere Pro 5.5.2 running under Lion 10.7.4

I have already connected to this Laptop a Promise Pegasus R6, an AJA I/O XT and an Apple Cinema Display 27" all with the thunderbolt daisy chain and works perfectly

I would like to speed up the rendering process adding another GPU to the system using an Nvidia Quadro 4000 MAC installed with a Sonnet Echo Express PRO:

This one:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresschassis.html

Is it possible with my version of premiere or should i upgrade to cs6 to make it work?

More importantly, can this cfg works?

Thank you very much for your time

• 1. Re: Multi-GPU on Mac with Thunderbolt
          Jeff Bellune Level 5

[Moved to Hardware Forum]

• 2. Re: Multi-GPU on Mac with Thunderbolt
            jasonvp Level 3

BlackF1re83 wrote:

I would like to speed up the rendering process adding another GPU to the system using an Nvidia Quadro 4000 MAC installed with a Sonnet Echo Express PRO:

I'm pretty sure that's not going to work for a number of reasons.  First of all: OS X doesn't have drivers in its kernel (or available aftermarket) to address a GPU via the Thunderbolt port.  It's not clear anyone has even considered writing those because of the (lack of) speed of the Thunderbolt ports.

Second is power.  The Quadro needs a 6-pin PCI-E connector from the power supply in order to work properly.  I looked through the technical specifications of that device and didn't note any mention of providing PCI-E power connectors.  And given the power supply, (100W or 150W), it's not clear it even could.

All isn't lost, however.  Assuming you have the right MBP with a 1GB nVidia GPU, you can still enable hardware MPE with the text file edit.  Hunt around for instructions on how to do that edit; you can do it with your existing installation of PPro (and I'd recommend staying there vs 6.0 for the time being).

jas

• 3. Re: Multi-GPU on Mac with Thunderbolt
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Thunderbolt has the equivalent Bandwidth of a PCI-E Gen1 4X slot or Gen 2 2X bandwidth. This is really low for a video card device. I would not recommend it.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Multi-GPU on Mac with Thunderbolt
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Eric,

Thank you

You just educated me, I was all enthused with the new Gigabyte motherboards that have a pair of Thunderbolt interfaces that I was thinking of for external disk drive arrays.

Bill.

• 5. Re: Multi-GPU on Mac with Thunderbolt
                  BlackF1re83 Level 1

Thank you for your answers.

I think everything is now clear.

I'll keep my system as it is now.

Thank you very much