4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 10:04 PM by Frustrated in AZ

help

aggravated in henderson

After downloading Adobe Digital Editions I downloaded a book from the library. How do I get the book on my Nook. I could read it on the computer, then tried to drop and drag to Nook, that didn't work. Then I tried to send it to the Nook. After that both the compuater and the Nook said the book had been licensed to a different user and can't open it at all.

• 1. Re: help
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

This is the Reader forum. The Digital Editions one is here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_digital_editions

• 4. Re: help
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

The original message was:

"After downloading Adobe Digital Editions I downloaded a book from the

library. How do I get the book on my Nook. I could read it on the computer,

then tried to drop and drag to Nook, that didn't work. Then I tried to send

it to the Nook. After that both the compuater and the Nook said the book

had been licensed to a different user and can't open it at all. "

I'm afraid that you're going to have to wait until the loan expires and

then go back to get it again.

I don't know how long you've had your Nook, nor what kind of Nook it is.  I

don't know if you've ever dragged and dropped an ebook from ADE on your

computer to your Nook either.  So, figuring out what went wrong ain't

possible.  I'll try to help by going over the process and you can see if

there's something obvious that you missed, or whatever.  No offense meant

if I cover stuff you've done - your post just doesn't let me leave out the

simple stuff.

First, you need to register with Adobe, get an Adobe ID and download and

install Digital Editions.  It appears that you did all that.  Next, you

need to make sure that your Nook is on the list of supported devices found

HERE <http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices>, and

then register your Nook with B&N using your Adobe ID.  That sync's the

Nook's ID with ADE, and that's very important.

When you've done all this, you find a site with an ebook you want, and it

appears you did that - the library.  Download the ebook to ADE using your

Adobe ID just to make sure that everything syncs.  Use the SAVE option, not

the OPEN option when you do, and the ebook will be transferred to your ADE

library.

Once the ebook is downloaded and in your ADE library, close ADE.  Then,

attach the Nook and make sure the computer recognizes it as an external

device, and the Nook's screen shows it's attached.  Then, open ADE in

Library mode.  ADE should show the Nook as an option on the bookshelf side

(left side) of the Library view.  You can drag and drop the ebook from the

ADE library to the Nook.  Then, you can close ADE.  Watch the Nook's screen

to make sure it finishes processing new content before you disconnect it

from your computer (it's best if you 'eject' it using Windows Explorer -

NOT Internet Explorer - or use the icon on the right hand side of the

system tray to 'Safely Remove Hardware').

Potholes in the road: if the ID's on the Nook and ADE are different, you

could have issues downloading the ebook to your Nook.  Also, if the ebook

has digital rights assigned to it that prevent copying, you won't be able

to drag and drop it to your Nook.  It will be 'stuck' on your computer.  If

this is the case, you can contact the library's technical support and see

if they can change the rights - some will, some won't.

Hope this helps!

=============