• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rollover an object and it stays on screen?

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

On a slide I have a number of icons with rollover slidelets over them which, when rolled over, brings up a text box with information.

What i want to do is rollover the object which will bring up the text information, but I want it to stay screen even if I move my cursor away from the slidelet area. Then, when I roll my cursor over the next object, that information comes up and stays on screen even if I move my cursor off the slidelet area.

Is this possible? If it isnt possible with slidelets how would I go about it?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version do you use? There is the stick slidelet option, but to my experience it is not working very well in all versions.

Does it need to be a rollover? Or could you cope with a click? In that case you can hide the text caption, put a click box over the icons and assign the standard advanced action 'Show TC' to that click box. I'm talking about a standard instead of a simple action, because that will not cause the play head to be released

And should all the text captions remain on the screen, if you have multiple icons?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 5.5

I have heard about stick slidelets but I've also heard tbey are not very reliable.

No it doesnt need to be a rollover, just a preference.  I'll have a play with that and see how I get on.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a look and I'm a bit lost with it! Could you show me in a screenshot how I would do it?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, try this:

• Create the text caption that has to appear, will label it TC1  and uncheck its Visibility in the Properties panel
  • Put a click box over the icon, I have labeled it CB1
  • In the Properties panel of CB1, Action accordion, change the action to 'Execute Advanced action' (1)
  • Click on the folder icon (2) to open the Advanced action dialog
  • Label the action, I choose ShowTC1 (label has to be unique) (3)
  • Create the statement, doubleclick on the first line to open list, choose Show, then in the nex column double click and chose TC1
  • Save the advanced action and check that it is added in the Script field in the Properties panel
  • Try out.

ShowTC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you can trigger an Advanced Action with the On Rollover event of a Rollover Slidelet.  If you use the script Lieve provided but execute it using a slidelet On Rollover (select the rollover object and look in the Actions accordion) instead of using a click box On Success, this will show the text caption.  But since you haven't specified any way to hide the caption again, it will just sit there on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, I already asked if all text captions could remain on the screen indefinitely, but got no answer.

I'm aware of both rollover and click events for rollover slidelets, but do not trust slidelets that much and here only text had to be made visible.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have managed to get this working through the Execute Advanced Options!

However, I want to be able to flick between them. When I click on one it shows the information as does the other, but when I want to flick back to the other by clicking on it, it doesnt do anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'flick back'? Sorry, but I'm not a native English speaker. The text captions remain on screen, why should you click another time on the button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also confused.  In your original post you said: "What i want to do is rollover the object which will bring up the text information, but I want it to stay screen even if I move my cursor away from the slidelet area. Then, when I roll my cursor over the next object, that information comes up and stays on screen even if I move my cursor off the slidelet area."

Are you now saying that you DON'T want the information captions to remain visible on screen if you mouse away from them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i mean I want to use the click feature but click between the two. When I click on one it comes up, when I click on the other it comes up, and when I click on the first one again it comes up. At the minute I am unable to do this, but can it be done?

Once I click on it and it shows that appears to be all I can do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  You haven't previously been clear about the fact that you wanted the captions to disappear again when something else was clicked.

So let us clarify what you really mean first: 

You NOW say you want to click on an object and have a caption appear.  But if you click on another object to have a different caption appear, then the first caption should disappear.  So at any given time there can only be ONE caption visible on the screen.

Is that closer to what you really mean?  We're getting confused here partly because you were initially talking about rollovers ("What i want to do is rollover the object which will bring up the text information...") and now you're talking about clicking on something ("Sorry, i mean I want to use the click feature but click between the two.")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I mean. Apologies about the confusion!

I'll read through the rest of the comments and see what else has been put. I have been flying in and out lately so not read everyones comments...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my first answer I asked this question, but you never replied:

"And should all the text captions remain on the screen, if you have multiple icons?"

If you want to hide captions, once a new click box is clicked, add a statement 'Hide object x' for each other object (text caption) except the one you want to show with this click box.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I add that action in the Advanced Actions underneath the other ones I have set above?Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 14.19.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore that. I have sussed it out.

This is brilliant. Working exactly how I want it. Thanks for your help and patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fine, you have to know that a standard advanced action like you created will not release the play head. That allows you to click the click box as many times as you want

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources