12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 11:10 AM by albuertoe50742450

Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data

rossdc Level 1

I have researched this thoroughly in Adobe and public forums without seeing a similar discussion. I have a folder of .mts clips shot in AVCHD on a Sony HXR-MC2000. I can import or drag-and-drop clips and they come into my seq just fine -- evidently a recent update I installed addressed the problem of no audio importing with the clip, so many thanx, Adobe!  But for the life of me, I cannot get the 'Date Created' info to come over with the clip. I do have that box checked in the PP6 panel, but no such data imports.

Any ideas?  I'm running CS6 6.0.1 on an iMac running Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>folder of .mts clips

Does that mean you copied the entire folder structure from your camera to your hard drive?

As described in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
            rossdc Level 1

No. The camera connects to the iMac and shows up on the desktop. I select the .mts files and drag 'em into the destination folder on the iMac. Once there, the date/time of each shot is displayed. But once the clips are imported into PrPro6, no Date Created info of any kind shows up. The audio and video function normally since a recent PrPro6 update, evidently. In my camera, the video/audio files do not appear in folders, just as single combined files.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
              _mp

Did you ever find a solution?

I have the same problem with AVCHD files imported from a Panasonic GH2.  The files were copied from the SD cards with Panasonic's own utility, which creates a lot of metadata files that I've always deleted.  I expected that the 'Date Created/Modified' fields are taken from the file system directly, but that's not happening here on Windows, they're just blank.  But when I import other filetypes (eg. MOV), the dates are shown.

Even if this data is normally pulled from from sidecar metadata files, PPro should fall back to file system times.  I need this for sorting files by date.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

For rossdc's mts files, John T's reply sounds spot on and I'm guessing that's the case with the Panasonic utility (though I can't be sure).

Just as test, copy the entire structure of an SD card to it's own folder and then import it using the Media Broswer in Premiere.  If the date created appears and is correct (as I think it will be) than that tells you that Premiere can parse the info from the SD card structure but can't (for whatever reason) understand the date created from the Panasonic utility.

Is there a compelling reason not to copy the whole folder structure?  I'm asking because a lot of people seem really reluctant to do this and I don't understand why.  As far as storage requirements it hardly adds anything to the file size.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                  _mp Level 1

I don't do it because the metadata really contains nothing useful with the GH2 (for example it doesn't have timecode), so it just massively clutters up my Explorer thumbnail views which I frequently use to manage the files.  That's the issue for me, not storage space.  ie. I like to see all the video thumbnails for a particular shooting date grouped together in the same folder - I don't want to keep having to traverse the annoying AVCHD folder structures to find my files.

On top of that Panny's utility doesn't preserve the entire structure, but rather seems to convert the metadata to its own filetypes.  The only reason I use it is that it automatically creates folders based on the shooting date of each clip (and stills), which is how I like to organise my files.

In the end, MTS is also just a video file, and the filesystem already has Date Created and Date Modified times.  So PPro should use those in cases like this (as it presumably does with any other filetype that doesn't have this metadata).

I'll report it as a bug.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                    Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

I guess that makes sense.  Everyone organizes differently.  And yes, I think it is a bug that Premiere can't read the date created from the Panasonic created files.  Still, it's not just Premiere... FCPX only likes intact SD card structures too.

The thing that really bugs me about Premiere is that if it loses the path to an mts file it just looks for 00000.mts.  Well ALL of them are called that!  Would be nice if it gave us a hint as to which folder it *thought* the file should be in.  Your way of doing things eliminates this problem (I think)... it just gives you another one in its place

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                      _mp Level 1

I hear ya.  I can't quite remember how Premiere reacts if I change the path (eg. rename the folder), but as long as the paths are the same, it does remember where the clips should be.

In my case it's even weirder because I shoot in 3D with two cameras, so I have to rename all my files for left/right eye and with the correct numbering to make it all managable (I use RenNamer for that, great tool).

But don't you always get the feeling that there must be an even better way to organize things?  I'll have to think about importing from the card, maybe there's a best-of-both-worlds.  Shame we sometimes actually need to get work done too .

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                        Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Oooh 3d!  We should continue this thread off the forums!  I'm shooting 3D too (sometimes).  I started using two cameras (still like that for the highest quality) but I also bought a JVC Everio GS-TD1.  Very nice little camera!

I'm on a Mac and can't edit the full side-by-side natively but the half-sbs is good enough for me.  Here's my first piece with the JVC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH992kf7a-E&list=UUsvXPlj-6E9DZJnoS9PXJZQ&index=2&feature=p lcp

Are you using an LG monitor?

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                          miltko Level 1

Using a Sony A37 SLT, I cannot get PrP to include creation or modification dates in the Project File Data. That makes the deficiency even more general. I'd like to hear from Nikon and Canon users.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Miltko,

Using a Sony A37 SLT, I cannot get PrP to include creation or modification dates in the Project File Data. That makes the deficiency even more general. I'd like to hear from Nikon and Canon users.

You can add that metadata in Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 right now via the Metadata Display > Basic. In the upcoming version of Premiere Pro, that metadata will be sortable in the Project panel (it currently isn't). I tested it and it works great.

I also tested Premiere Pro CS6 and the "Date Created" and "Date Modified" metadata are sortable in that version with some standard .mov files I have on hand right now.

As I understand it, all metadata added to the Project panel will be sortable in the upcoming version. This is one of those unsung updates those of you on this post will appreciate.

Tip:

To ensure that the metadata you need is included in Premiere Pro, please follow the standard advice: copy your entire SD card to your computer's HD, then import the files via the Media Browser. That way your audio, timecode, creation dates, and modification dates will be imported.

If you have followed standard procedures and you still aren't seeing the metadata, file a bug report here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Premiere Pro CS6 users can use the Date Created and Date Modified metadata for sorting by date if your camera is supported for use with CS6.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't import 'Date Created' data
                              albuertoe50742450

Hello,

I have the same problem... I use a sony Handycam PJ810 HD. I film in AVCHD-format. Importing the .mts files (even through the import command in the media browser) doesn't seem to help. All the date fields I select stay empty.

Though, if i right click in Explorer (windows 7) the creation date is mentioned just fine... How can I solve this very annoying problem... because if you even't can't arrange your footage by date that's very annoying to work with.

So please someone bring us a solution...

Thanks

Albuerto