15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 4:04 PM by the_wine_snob

How to create a preset for exponential fade?

CaroVideo Level 1

Hi,

I like to use a 4-frame fade to ease in and out of audio soundbites. I'm wondering if it is possible to create a preset of a four-frame exponential fade, so that I don't have to create it each time I use it?

I've read the tutorials on creating presets and it all makes sense. However, the "save preset" option is greyed out for my four-frame exponential fade. Is there another way to save this as a preset? Or something similar?

Thank you

Carolyn

• 1. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only way to set a duration for transitions is in the preferences.

• 2. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
            CaroVideo Level 1

Does that mean I can only save one preference for audio transitions? If I set audio transitions to 1.00, does that mean I can't have a second audio transition set to .04? I use both all the time.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the preferences you set only one setting its either 1.00 second or 4/30 of a second (or 4/25) if you want 4 frames duration for the audio transition.

• 5. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You can only have one setting, but that does not strictly prevent you from saving many different settings for your transitions.

In earlier versions of Premiere Pro, I used to keep a project with just a sequence specifically for storing different transitions that I used on a regular basis. And another sequence that I used for various color correcting settings. Just apply the various settings to your clips and then import that project into every project where it might be needed.

I haven't really gotten around to making a CS6 version of that project yet, but here is a shot of what I think you might be trying to accomplish. Also, since Ann has previously pointed out to me that you can dock sequences in such a way as you can have your transitions and effects sequence showing in the same panel as your working sequence, this particular system seems like the easiest way to deal with the problem.

Of course, since I have two monitors, using one mostly just for sequences is not an issue.

screen shotmultiple transitions.png+

So. just copy the transition and paste it on to your clip.

• 6. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                  CaroVideo Level 1

Thanks Steven. Saving sequences is not something I thought of.

But it occurs to me that maybe adding a 4 frame exponential/cross fade at the beginning and end of every soundbite to eliminates those clicks and pops might not be the best work practice in Premiere Pro. This is a habit I acquired using FCP7, which does not have the audio mixing capabilities of Premiere Pro. Is there now a better way to achieve this?

Thanks

Carolyn

• 7. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

You should not be getting clicks and pops in your audio, unless they're actually in your audio.

• 8. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jim has a very good point.

I usually fade in at the beginning of a sequence and out at the end. There are times that I cross fade audio along the way to ease the transition between different audio environments or to include some room tone to avoid silence between auio clips. However, I don't recall ever having to deal with pops and/or clicks at the beginning of a clip.

How about posting a file without transitions so we can hear a few of these cuts for ourselves. Just curious.

• 9. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Often "clicks and pops" occur when cuts are made on Audio, which are not at Zero-Crossings. This articles goes into a bit more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770665?tstart=60

I am not saying that the Zero-Crossings issue is your problem, but just throwing out one possibility.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                          CaroVideo Level 1

Hi Bill,

I think you are exactly right about the zero crossing. These sounds are not a big problem - just something that exists and I'd rather it didn't. Perhaps I shouldn't have called them clicks and pops because they aren't really that. Just rough audio mix. I can post one of these sounds, but right now Premiere is tied up on a loooooong export.  (Why this is so long is perhaps a discussion I will have on another day.)

Bill, do you always cut a soundbite at the zero crossing? I sometimes do, now that its possible for me using Premiere Pro. But it takes time and often my employer wants me to turn pieces around quickly.

Switching from FCP7 to Premiere Pro is making me reassess how I edit everything. I need to be as fast as I can, while producing the best edit that I can. Perhaps taking a little more time when making the cut is the solution.

- Carolyn

• 11. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I see. Well written Bill.

It never occured to me that people might not cut at a zero crossing. Being in telecom, understanding waveforms was part of my training. 

I guess it is something that comes naturally to me. I seem to wait for quiet places to cut. Not always the video, but the audio. That is why L cuts and J cuts come in handy. They allow you to finish the video or finish the audio at more natural points, but not necessarily at the same point. Fading to room tone takes care of those places where it can't be helped.

I had to go back and look at a couple of longer projects to see what I had done. Interesting. I found a few places where the difference in theaudio level was just too great to allow a simple cut and I found fades at those points each and every time.

I must admit that I am more technical than creative, so perhaps I just never tried enough creative editing to come across the problem.

I will post a link to that article on my web site when I get a chance.

• 12. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Carolyn,

For critical Audio editing, I normally work in Audition, where I CAN set Cuts on Zero-Crossings.

However, by spreading Audio over a couple of Audio Tracks, when one has such a problem, by changing the TimeCode from SMPT to Audio Samples, and then slightly tweaking the Audio Clip, by just a few 1/48,000th of a sec., one can hit the Zero-Crossings point, or close enough that any spurious sound is attenuated to point that it is not heard.

Another possible approach would be to Render/Replace the problem Audio Clip, take that into Audition and then use Remove Transient on that tiny point.

There are probably more workflows, that others will share. One caveat that I would offer, would be to do such Audio work, AFTER all Video edits have been done, and then tweak things a bit, either in PrPro, or Audion.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven,

Great points. When one has missed a Zero-Crossing, the "pop's/click's" perception and recognition, will be directly related to the Volume or Gain at that point. If the cut is very close, who can hear it? If the waveform, right at that problem cut is attenuated in some way (Fade?), who can hear it? When the cut is way up the waveform, everyone can hear it.

I feel the same way about Handles for Transitions. Coming from film, the concept was ingrained from about my third day of Film Making 101. Handles are just part of my psyche.

Thanks for the extra tips, as they will likely help the OP.

Hunt

• 14. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                                  CaroVideo Level 1

Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying these replies.

Bill, today I just discovered that I can set cuts on zero-crossings in audition. I think audition will become part of my workflow for sure - I just need a few hours to go through the tutorials.

• 15. Re: How to create a preset for exponential fade?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I could not live without Audition, though I seldom use it for much beyond my Video work, not being a real "sound guy."

Enjoy, and good luck,

Hunt