16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 2:29 PM by AntoniaAgain

Links not embedded?

Antonia52

Having  a problem here and am fairly new to ID (long term Quark user).  I am sending PDF files to the client for supplement labelling. The client now wants the native file as she has to frequently change lot #s.  I embed images, check the preflight status (green) and send. When she receives it, ID throws up the message that links are missing. This sounds like having to do the Collect for Output function in Quark, but I assumed that "embedding" the image/link would embed it in the same was as a PDF would do. Am I missing something here? I see there is a "package" function but would I need to use this (the client is almost completely computer illiterate and I can't see her understanding any of this). TIA for any advice you can provide.

• 1. Re: Links not embedded?
          Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

Are you embedding all the links? Note that not all filetypes can be embedded. It could also be an issue with fonts if your client doen't have them installed.

You might need to package the file and send it to her if you can't figure it out.

• 2. Re: Links not embedded?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Alec, please enlighten me. I don't recall any file type that can be linked but not embedded other than text or spreadsheet files, whcih you can "unlink" which amounts to the same thing.

Antonia, after you think you've embedded everything, when you check the status column in the links p[anel do you still see anything the doesn't have an embedded icon?

• 3. Re: Links not embedded?

I believe video files and swf files can't be embedded in InDesign documents, maybe others.

• 4. Re: Links not embedded?

Ah, thanks. I'm not into all that newfangled interactive stuff.

• 5. Re: Links not embedded?

Me neither, I only found out about it a week ago.

• 6. Re: Links not embedded?
                    AntoniaAgain

Hi all,  this is Antonia52 (I can't sign in under my old ID)

Alex: yes I am embedding all the links and they are hi-res, however, she says they print out "all fuzzy" (note PDF prints perfectly). They are tiffs.

Peter: I right click on the links and they are all embedded. The Flight Check icon is green. However, one thing that puzzles me, since it prints out fine on the PDF, is the lack of two very small graphics files (a Canadian flag and recycle symbol) showing up anywhere as a link.  When I go to Package, those images also don't show.

Another question, I have "Packaged" everything, same as Quark collect for output, but it produces only a fonts folder and the ID file (no image folder) Is there a reason for its absence? Is it because the graphics are embedded?

Thanks folks...really appreciate your help here.

• 7. Re: Links not embedded?

So NOTHING is in the links panel that isn't embedded? If that's the case, then there is nothing to collect for links. I never embed links, and rarely package anymore, so I don't know if that alone would prevent the creation of a links folder, but do be sure you have checked that you want to package links in the Package dialog.

Graphic content that doesn't show in the links panel at all is either pasted into ID, and would behave as if it were embedded, or it is a native vector object, either drawn in ID or pasted paths from Illustrator. in either case, it should be there just fine at the other end, as should anything embedded.

Would you like to send me the package to look at? Maybe I can figure out what's going on.

• 8. Re: Links not embedded?
                        AntoniaAgain Level 1

Hello Peter (love the oak leaf, I paint acorns)

OK, so in the links panel it shows four links (or whatever number) and all are embedded. The little flag and recycle icons aren't there, but strangely print out fine while the rest is apparently  "fuzzy."  You have answered my question re embedding, which is great and much appreciated. I could send you the package but not sure how.

• 9. Re: Links not embedded?

I'm sending an upload link to you by private message.

• 10. Re: Links not embedded?
                            AntoniaAgain Level 1

I have sent it Peter...thanks again.

• 11. Re: Links not embedded?

Trying a test print now...

• 12. Re: Links not embedded?

I've printed it on two different printers and it prints just fine here. Are you sure she isn't confused by the blurred backgrounds?

In any event, you should go into the layers panel and expand the layer. You have empty frames on the left and right sides that can be deleted, and there's a [Paper]-filled frame in the lower center that is only .0001" high that you can delete, too. That's less than a single pixel on the imagesetter and it won't get knocked out.

Also, go back into the document setup dialog, click the More Options button and add some bleed guides, then extend your objects that bleed out a bit more. .125in/3mm is pretty standard, half that is the smallest I've ever seen spec'd.

One thing you might want to consider is removing the lot number, expiration and PLU text and exporting the file as PDF, Place that in a new file (or let her) and add new text frames on top to hold that information. Less chance of something getting screwed up that way.

• 13. Re: Links not embedded?
                                  Antonia52 Level 1

Ah Peter,

I am so very grateful. Way too much work all at once and deadlines and

so hearing this, with a suggestion such as the one you have given is

pure joy. My client's label lady is so hopeless on a computer that I

fear she won't understand the suggestion, but I'll provide the option

anyway.

I will clean up those frames. I know exactly how they got there. It's 

something I can't get used to in ID, being a Quarkie.  I publish a

high-end pharmacy magazine as well (in Quark) and always do 1/4" bleeds.

However, these people print inhouse on a Zeo and request a tiny bleed.

Lord knows why as it's off the edge anyway.

Again, my thanks for all this help. A huge smile to you.

Antonia

• 14. Re: Links not embedded?

If the label lady is barely competent, I'd definitely just give her a file with a placed PDF of everything except the text she needs to change and three text frames for that. And lock the layer with the PDF.

• 15. Re: Links not embedded?
                                      AntoniaAgain Level 1

We will see, Peter. It's an excellent suggestion. It's one of those situations where her brilliance is elsewhere and she has to try to learn all this "computer stuff" as she calls it. I am trying to make it easy for her (while fairly new to ID myself) and the PDF route may well be the easiest way.

• 16. Re: Links not embedded?
                                        AntoniaAgain Level 1

Late answer here...it turned out that the "other end" wasn't quite with the program. All is well.